FFP and the PL closed shop.

Is FFP just a waste of time and basically just a way of keeping the premier league a closed shop?

What's the point of it really?

If the FA or FL wanted to prevent reckless owners from burdening the club with debt then surely the rule should be you can't put the debt on the club and need to have some sort of financial contingency in the event of crippling debt. 

For the first time in years we have some money and an ambitious chairman and yet we are shackled by an unfair system that doesn't affect he PL teams due to parachute payments. 

Rhodes is the prime example. We would have him now if it wasn't for FFP yet Villa who have been gash for ages now will get him subsided from the money the get from the PL for being cr*p. 

No wonder it's the toughest league in the world to get out of. 

8 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Is FFP just a waste of time and basically just a way of keeping the premier league a closed shop?

What's the point of it really?

If the FA or FL wanted to prevent reckless owners from burdening the club with debt then surely the rule should be you can't put the debt on the club and need to have some sort of financial contingency in the event of crippling debt. 

For the first time in years we have some money and an ambitious chairman and yet we are shackled by an unfair system that doesn't affect he PL teams due to parachute payments. 

Rhodes is the prime example. We would have him now if it wasn't for FFP yet Villa who have been gash for ages now will get him subsided from the money the get from the PL for being cr*p. 

No wonder it's the toughest league in the world to get out of. 

I wrote a post about this a short while back. You're correct, FFP is nothing more than creating a glass ceiling for the financing of clubs. Its essentially a cartel that has been created by the elite clubs to stop people challenging their position, but its dressed up as concern for the financial stability of clubs. The proof, as you mention, would be to regulate a system where by unscrupulous owners are held accountable and to have a financial contingency plan that doesn't affect the future if the club. In short, its BS.

Edited by Mick De Lyons

I think FFP is a tough one to pick apart because we don't know how football would look without it. 

I Agree with the concept, as if a club is not run responsibly and goes bust you lose so much more than just a business. But I do think  the rules are easily bent by those whose job it is to know how to take advantage of the systems which govern company finances. 

Parachute payments are necessary because clubs coming down would be in 'fire sale' mode without them trying to clear out the big earners and rebuild their squad in an unrealistically short period of time. I think resentment has risen though due to the ludicrous amount they receive. Often it is way more than is required to steady the ship and it does create an unfair advantage as we see in the Jordan Rhodes scenario. The flip side of this is that Villa don't have the foundation to haggle down past a certain point though as the sellers know that they have money to spend so it can also be a poison chalice in that respect. 

Parachute payments are a joke.

look at Newcastle ,one of the richest clubs in the world,sold all the big earners for over 50 million then get parachute payments on top.

Newcastle,villa and Norwich are getting money for failing .

if there wasn't parachute payments im pretty sure Burnley and Hull wouldn't have gone up last season

Edited by Greenhgate Owl

The original idea behind FFP was to stop clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona et al spending absolutely insane amounts of money on players and wages which had them dominating European football while being in multigazillionbillions of debt and not giving a tinkers cuss about it.

As is usual with legislation, however well meaning, quite often the baby gets thrown out with the bath water leading to the function of creating the oft mentioned "glass ceiling" that the top leagues in every country protect themselves with.

I firmly believe that the system should only apply to the top leagues in every country and beneath that you could have a system whereby if a club wanted to spend more than their income because of a wealthy owner, this money could be deposited with the league and then used as required to prove that the funding was sustainable and not just an increase in debt leverage.

To put this in everyday terms: If you won the lottery and were suddenly minted, would you be banned from buying a Ferrari on the grounds that your weekly income wouldn't allow it?

TBF I think it was Big F Sam who drew attention to this when it was coming in - pointing out that big clubs in the lower divisions would be effectively stuck.

Only solution I can see is a conscious decision to form a non or one team relegation Premier I and II with 16 teams each then decide the title with a set of play offs between the top 4 at the end.

or the

more obvious "ditch FFP"!

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet

1 minute ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

Aren't Fox looking to buy SKY ?

Things might be changing soon, Fox may not want to spend as much...

Fox would still have to pay out more than BT Sport would or lose it, so it won't go down much if it did at all. Football gets the viewers, broadcasters need viewers to exist.

Maximum wage of 20k per week for championship players.

Relegated premier league clubs players automatically drop into this wage frame even if they on 80k per week..... Tough, you were relegated for being crap.

No need for parachute payments then.

Parachute payments were supposed to help clubs adjust, it wasn't for transfer fees and wage increases so clubs can't compete like its being used for now.

If they really need parachute payments then the fa should keep it and ask the likes of Newcastle and Villa what it's needed for. The FA should then just pay direct to whatever it is needed but not for new wages or transfer fees.