Name change: The Wednesday Football Club

Guest Zed

14 hours ago, LSOwls said:

Maybe just for the 150 season but not forever

Are you not from Sheffield?

Cant see us being granted permission even for that if it were on the cards given the Hull City / Hull Tigers debate and precedent setting.

Edited by GMOwl72

43 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

Cant see us being granted permission even for that if it were on the cards given the Hull City / Hull Tigers debate and precedent setting.

Ull Tigers is a different thing though. Their fans were completely against it and The Wednesday is our former name. I think if we applied to do so, the FA wouldn't object. I personally would like to see it for the anniversary year and then in future the pundits would then refer to us as Wednesday and not Sheffield.

5 minutes ago, ka58 said:

Why?

Not sure which bit you're questioning but :

Ull Tigers is a Mickey Mouse name, The Wednesday is a traditional football name 

The FA love tradition/ history so wouldn't be against summat that's in our history 

Pundits/ managers would have it in their mindset that we're called Wednesday so when it reverted back it'd still be in their minds somewhere.

My opinion, could be miles off but there it is

22 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Not sure which bit you're questioning but :

Ull Tigers is a Mickey Mouse name, The Wednesday is a traditional football name 

The FA love tradition/ history so wouldn't be against summat that's in our history 

Pundits/ managers would have it in their mindset that we're called Wednesday so when it reverted back it'd still be in their minds somewhere.

My opinion, could be miles off but there it is

Sorry I was replying to the original question really - why would we want to change our name?

12 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Very important that's why it was changed unofficially years before the official name change. 

Except this isn't true at all. I have newspaper clippings of the Sheffield & Rotherham Independant from as early (off the top of my head) as 1850 noting the meetings of Sheffield Wednesday Cricket Club, of which we were born. The name Sheffield Wednesday and The Wednesday were interchangeable from the very start. 

We were also known as The Sheffield Wednesday Club too.

9 minutes ago, Wild Will Smith said:

Except this isn't true at all. I have newspaper clippings of the Sheffield & Rotherham Independant from as early (off the top of my head) as 1850 noting the meetings of Sheffield Wednesday Cricket Club, of which we were born. The name Sheffield Wednesday and The Wednesday were interchangeable from the very start. 

Scrap that, I've checked back and the earliest clipping I have is 1829...

IMG_3411.PNG

As for the football side of the club. Here is a clipping from 1869 with us as The Sheffield Wednesday Football Club...

IMG_3410.PNG

Like I said it has always been interchangeable.

People who don't live in Sheffield and the same people who don't like us not having white stripes on our shirt because that's the 'Norm', traditions are just used as an argument to bend people to your will people pick and choose their favourites and try to enforce them on others, personally i would like us to be called Inter urnan and play in pink and yellow polkadots.

Sheffield Wednesday is just fine thank you!

3 hours ago, Wild Will Smith said:

Will, you are in part correct and by the early 20th C The Wednesday Cricket Club  were sporting caps with the initials SWCC embroidered. However, the club/s were The Wednesday Cricket and Football clubs. The Wednesday Cricket Club was formed in 1820 and just like many amateur clubs at the time many adopted a club name that represented their half day.

As The Wednesday CC grew in stature their acclaim and achievements were recognised more and more by at National level by journalists, not just by their Cricketing achievements, but also the old Darnall ground which was recognised as one of the best in the country. Thus the club quickly became known by a good few journalists to AKA The Sheffield Wednesday Cricket Club. The same scenario is equally applied to The Wednesday Cricket and Football Club from 4/9/1867.

One thing is for sure whenever we are asked what Football club we support the answer roles off our tongues ... Wednesday or less often these days The Wednesday. The name is so unique and famous that there is no longer any need for the Sheffield suffix. THE WEDNESDAY !    

1 hour ago, CS5swfc said:

People who don't live in Sheffield and the same people who don't like us not having white stripes on our shirt because that's the 'Norm', traditions are just used as an argument to bend people to your will people pick and choose their favourites and try to enforce them on others, personally i would like us to be called Inter urnan and play in pink and yellow polkadots.

Sheffield Wednesday is just fine thank you!

5 hours ago, Wild Will Smith said:

Scrap that, I've checked back and the earliest clipping I have is 1829...

IMG_3411.PNG

As for the football side of the club. Here is a clipping from 1869 with us as The Sheffield Wednesday Football Club...

IMG_3410.PNG

Like I said it has always been interchangeable.

bone fide members barring Marsden - who is this 'Marsden' that couldn't play ?