Name change: The Wednesday Football Club

Guest Zed

2 hours ago, owls-swfc said:

It's a No from me... 

Think of all the songs with "Sheffield Wednesday" in.. 

WTF would happen then if we changed it to just "The Wednesday" ? ,  would it be the same songs but with a silent pause where "Sheffield" once was? 

And It's HI HO....The Wednesday.....Mm see what you mean.

I'm still for the change though, would be nice to be different....We will follow The Wednesday, hi ho.....wait a minute?:wacko:

I wouldn't mind. I call us Wednesday all the time anyway and most people do. However to people who may not know us they need to know the place. 

We still have the best name in the world whatever happens. 

Edited by flo

4 hours ago, torryowl said:

as far as the ground is concerned we've only had two long term stadiums and seen as we were evicted from one of them so we had no choice then I don't see the" lets move brigade" can use the we've moved before card .

If it's to suck up to DC they will.

lol

3 hours ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

Am I the only one who thinks Sheffield is an important part of the name?!

Should be proud of it. Certainly shouldn't want them at the lame to monopolise it.

Very important that's why it was changed unofficially years before the official name change. 

4 hours ago, owls-swfc said:

It's a No from me... 

Think of all the songs with "Sheffield Wednesday" in.. 

WTF would happen then if we changed it to just "The Wednesday" ? ,  would it be the same songs but with a silent pause where "Sheffield" once was? 

disagree as as kid on the Kop shouting THE Wednesday (repeat) i dont see a problem

We are the Wednesday everyone knows where from 

where as that lot at S2 can't do the same there are many uniteds   We are unique and I fecking love it 

5 hours ago, debram said:

the wednesday sounds like a sunday morning pub team, we need to keep our tradition and foreign football supporters need to be able to identify us from where we come from, imagine when abroad, who do you support, the wednesday, oh who are they and where do they play, thats embarrasing i would say.

Do foreign supporters have any clue where Sheffield is?

13 hours ago, Zed said:

I know this has probably been discussed before, but as I am a new member, I'll throw it out there.

Who would like us to change the club's name back to The Wednesday Football Club.

We changed our name in 1929 to Sheffield Wednesday. 

Personally I would, I love tradition, and the fact it would distinguish ourselves from our neighbours and every other club.

If you like tradition - wouldnt you prefer to stick with the name we've had for the last 87 years?

9 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think I am right in saying that Crystal Palace in an area of London but Selhurst Park is not in that area.

Also Everton is an area of Liverpool and Everton have never actually played in that area.

I would not lose any sleep over changing us back to 'The Wednesday Football Club' for one season but given the choice I would rather not. Clubs in modern football have less and less connection with the local area and this would be another step away from that. 

Crystal Palace is named after the Crystal Palace which no longer exists, the area of London known as Crystal Palace is also named after the building

New kit, new name, new ground etc.

What is really left? 

like triggers broom in only fools and horses

".....I've had this same broom 30 years......it's had 5 new broom heads and 4 new handles"