Name change: The Wednesday Football Club

Guest Zed

I know this has probably been discussed before, but as I am a new member, I'll throw it out there.

Who would like us to change the club's name back to The Wednesday Football Club.

We changed our name in 1929 to Sheffield Wednesday. 

Personally I would, I love tradition, and the fact it would distinguish ourselves from our neighbours and every other club.

14 minutes ago, Exceptionally_Large said:

Cant have them dirty scummy fekkin blades having the Sheffield name all for themselves, can we now ?

well we got to give them some part of the city, anyhow they drag the city name down

Guest mrbluesky
4 hours ago, Exceptionally_Large said:

Cant have them dirty scummy fekkin blades having the Sheffield name all for themselves, can we now ?

The city would still be ours.

10 minutes ago, zico.b said:

On the basis that Hull City's fans have (quite rightly) fought hard to preserve their heritage from being changed to the ludicrously American Football sounding Hull Tigers; I just can't see the FA entertaining it.

It's a great idea, but would set an extremely dangerous precedent for the future.

150 years is all we need to promote.

It's completely different to that mate. We were called The Wednesday and even though there would be split opinions on it - it wouldn't meet with complete vitriol from any of our fan base - let alone all of it.

I reckon 99% of our fan base will either quite like the idea or prefer to keep the status quo. But I don't think many/any will be outraged or absolutely enthused by the idea.

If anybody tried to take away the 'Wednesday' but that would be a completely different matter.

20 minutes ago, Dizzys Dad said:

Don't think the good people of Sheffield, would appreciate us wanting to disassociate ourselves with the city. Non starter for me. Other supporters think we are massive arrogant fans already. Can you imagine the abuse coming our way.

Yeah but nobody would stop supporting us because of it would they?

And if we get into the PL and become literally the only PL club in the region, maybe some young kid in Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham, Chesterfield or even Wakefield, Leeds, Derby, Lincolnshire or Nottingham, will find it easier to support us without Sheffield in the name.

'Wednesday is so unique we don't need anything else. And we literally are THE Wednesday. It only works if we are in the PL and can sustain it - but if we are it could be an unbelievable marketing tool in my opinion.

At the very least we should be highlighting ' Wednesday' in all of our memorabilia, shirts and the like. That is the unique bit.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

6 hours ago, Exceptionally_Large said:

Yeah. Make a post mocking the blavges. That's what I'd do if I wanted to convince people I wasn't a pig. Well done.

What's the point?

According to many on here, we can't move from Hillsborough, its our home (even though we've moved before)

Can't change the badge (even though that's changed a number of times)

Can't drop the stripes (even though there are a number of examples where the home kit hasn't been traditional stripes.) Despite record shirt sales too. 

15 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

It's completely different to that mate. We were called The Wednesday and even though there would be split opinions on it - it wouldn't meet with complete vitriol from any of our fan base - let alone all of it.

I reckon 99% of our fan base will either quite like the idea or prefer to keep the status quo. But I don't think many/any will be outraged or absolutely enthused by the idea.

If anybody tried to take away the 'Wednesday' but that would be a completely different matter.

I don't think any of our fan base would have a problem with it, but many non wednesdayites might do, especially when we get in the premier league, and Sheffield never gets a mention in the media. London is different, you can't have all teams there called London ***********.