Almen Abdi going home ?

I'm desperate to see abdi playing for us. Him and Fernando both on fire would be amazing. There's a reason he was referred to by team mates as 'the professor' at Watford.

whatever the flip has gone on in the last 6 months I hope it gets sorted and we get to see the real Abdi.

14 hours ago, gurujuan said:

It depends on us getting someone else in If, for example, we secured Hourihane, then I'm not sure there'd be a role here for Abdi

That would have to be the requirement - loath to let a £4M player go without a decent replacement coming in.

Just hasn't worked out and its a pity, but that's football - he will probably go on and do well elsewhere.

He's injured. That means he's unlikely to move.

He also looked good for the half hour at Rotherham before he went off, so hopefully more of that to come once he's back fit.

That he started that game certainly suggests he's in Carlos' plans.

Looking thru our midfield.. who do we know can do a job if we were to go up?

Bannan.. maybe, he's been hit and miss at that level.

Jones.. yep. over 100 games in the Prem.

Lee.. you'd like to think so, but no idea, perhaps a little positionally naive.

Hutch.. Don't know, hopefully. Seems to have enough ability.

McGugan.. absolutely not.

Wallace.. unlikely.

Semedo and Melo.. nope.

Reach.. maybe. Still hasn't fully settled in at this level for us.

Sougou.. really?
Matais.. maybe. He'd have to stay fit first tho.

Abdi.. yes.

Hourihane.. No idea. He'd be another maybe.

Really not sure why so many so urgently want rid of Abdi.

36 minutes ago, cookeh said:

He's injured. That means he's unlikely to move.

He also looked good for the half hour at Rotherham before he went off, so hopefully more of that to come once he's back fit.

That he started that game certainly suggests he's in Carlos' plans.

Looking thru our midfield.. who do we know can do a job if we were to go up?

Bannan.. maybe, he's been hit and miss at that level.

Jones.. yep. over 100 games in the Prem.

Lee.. you'd like to think so, but no idea, perhaps a little positionally naive.

Hutch.. Don't know, hopefully. Seems to have enough ability.

McGugan.. absolutely not.

Wallace.. unlikely.

Semedo and Melo.. nope.

Reach.. maybe. Still hasn't fully settled in at this level for us.

Sougou.. really?
Matais.. maybe. He'd have to stay fit first tho.

Abdi.. yes.

Hourihane.. No idea. He'd be another maybe.

Really not sure why so many so urgently want rid of Abdi.

If our interest in Hourihane is genuine, then would there be room for Abdi?

25 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If our interest in Hourihane is genuine, then would there be room for Abdi?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: In the central area that'd leave us with Abdi, Semi, Melo, McGugan, Bannan, Lee, Hutchinson, Jones.

Semi, Melo and McGugan are to all intents and purposes not part of the playing staff.

Carlos has always said he wants 2 players per position, so if Hourihane comes in that leaves:

Bannan, Lee, Hutchinson, Jones, Abdi, Hourihane.

Hutchinson has to play.. and you'd assume Hourihane would be along side him.

Lee would likely stick around as he's been essentially plucked from obscurity as a Charlton full back.

Bannan might leave as he has international ambitions and need to be playing first team football.

And of the two.. I think Jones has been more of a disappointment than Abdi. Unlike Abdi he's been available (no injuries) and remains a fringe player. He played 90 every week for Burnley last season as they went up, but for us he's lucky to start and is lucky to get 50 minutes on average. He's 32 now, and while he's not looked bad, maybe his influence is waning.

You could argue that Abdi would be in the same boat as Bannan, that he only came here because he wanted regular football in the middle of the park. I still think there's an opportunity for him to do that tho.. perhaps as more of a number 10.

I'd like to see this, as Hourihane tends to break thru the lines, much as Lee does, so would be running ahead of Abdi regularly:

Westwood
Palmer - Lees - Loovens - Reach
Hourihane - Hutchinson
McManaman - Abdi - Forestieri
Winnall

Abdi has more pedigree than nearly everyone in our squad but has suffered from injuries since he joined, yet most people would be happy to see him go along with players like Melo and Sougou. Like it would be for the best if he left. Totally bonkers.

Don't think we'll look to offload Abdi this month. I think any big decisions on departures will be left to the Summer. I can see us going with what we've got until then. Whether it'll be enough, who knows but I trust CC to juggle with and get the best out of what he's got.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Think it's been mentioned before but back in the summer, many of us were hoping we'd sign Adlene Guedioura or someone similar to him. That didn't pan out but when we signed Abdi, we rightly so, the majority of us got excited because Abdi was a quality player for Watford. For whatever reasons, settling in; missing Watford, injuries, form, playing out of position, different playing styles and tactics, etc. It hasn't worked out.

He still might come good for us. I hope he does because a lot of us will remember how good he was for Watford at this level and in the top flight. But in the meantime, we miss Lee's goals, energy and assists in midfield. Abdi may still have a big part to play and may still come good but in terms of this season, form and the top 6 we need someone in form and doing the business now in order to keep pace and push on. That's why I'm hoping we will get Conor Hourihane or Jackson Irvine going on form this season or go back in for Adlene Guedioura.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble