The Football Crest Index

The Football Club Crest Index is a new independent publication project that's set out to document the rich history & storytelling behind the elements in the biggest clubs in world football.

To represent each club, we've hand picked 47 designers who support each club to produce original & exclusive artwork to sit alongside their clubs history, giving each spread a unique execution.

Volume 1, launching in 2017 will feature the 47 clubs to have graced the Premier League since it's inception in 1992. The aim then being to move throughout Europe & World Football Leagues in future editions. 

For more information on the project, how to get involved & when we're going to print, get in touch with us on Twitter @TheFCIndex & for developments on the book check our Instagram @TheFCIndex.

So. I am the designer who is going to be doing the page for us.

I think this is bigger than me though so I would like your opinions and thoughts on what we think would represent us the best.

Which era? Which team? Which player? Which manager?

Should we go for a shot of us lifting the League Cup?

Should we go for a shot of a match day experience?

The different approaches to the ground? The view after you walk under the 5 Arches?

The different pubs you might go to along the way?

Our biggest results? Boxing Day? Rumbleows? Hartlepool? 

That season in League 1, mind the gap? With a well written story to accompany? Every great club is needs a big rivalry.

What would you like to see as a 1 page visual representation of Sheffield Wednesday.

We have 1 A3 spread. I design the left had side. This is the right hand side:

http://imgur.com/dDz6L1b

4 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

How were you chosen? I didn't vote for you :tango:

The publisher of the book chose me after I volunteered.

2 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Is it supposed to cover the Premier League era or the whole club's history. We've got 150 years! More than one page worth!

We have 1 page, Liverpool have 1 page, Manchester United have 1 page. 

Just now, Holmes said:

You should go for last season which gave everyone a big lift and the promise of more to come.

I give you The Future

Good shout but if I include a big pic of Fessi on there and he gets the face on again and flips off no one will want to look at it lol

The problem with this sort of exercise is that it tends to focus on recent times at the expense of the more distant history, which for us is when we were more successful.

I would start with various iconic views of the ground. Inside and out, old and more recent. Mix that with images of special days, e.g. Pele with full kop in background, Wycombe celebrations.

You need to show the good times and the bad.

Very roughly - events that NEED covering.

The early League titles and FA Cup triumphs

The 1935 FA Cup win

The betting scandal - like it or not it is part of our history.

The 1966 FA Cup Runners Up

Boxing Day 79

Hillsborough Disaster - I am afraid it needs to be covered and with taste and respect.

League Cup winners 91

The four Wembley trips of '93

Relegation from PL.

Play off win '05

Mind The Gap

Play off defeat last season.

Record scorers

Record appearances

4 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

The problem with this sort of exercise is that it tends to focus on recent times at the expense of the more distant history

Remember,

Football League winners four time (back to back twice)

FA Cup winners 3 times

League cup once

These are probably more important the the big moments many of us actually remember, like Boxing day and promotions and Wembley and stuff.

But it needs to be a blend

30 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

What would you like to see as a 1 page visual representation of Sheffield Wednesday.

A montage.

Starling, Dooley, Froggatt , Wilson, Sterland, Pearson, Hirst, Sheridan, Waddle,etc etc

All wearing our famous blue and white stripes