Are L##DS a far bigger club than us

Leeds fans come from all over. You see there scarves in Scarborough, York, Donny, Rotherham and all over.  Owls fans are mainly Sheffielders.  I was brought up in Sheffield.  With 750,000 folk and one club they shud sell out every game.  Sheffield has 550,000 folk and we average about 26k and Blades 21k.  That's 47k between us.  Sheffield is a bigger football city than Leeds.  

4 hours ago, WalkleyWeds said:

the 'big club' debate is one that will forever split opinions as there are lots of different ways to look at it. 

But yes if we are talking away support - and using every ounce of my strength not to slag them off - they do have a good following, helped very much by being a 1 team city. 

I also saw something a couple of years ago about the number of viewers when they are live on Sky and they were some way ahead of the other teams (not sure if this would still be true with Newcastle being here this season). 

Haha that felt rotten, can someone please say something awful about them now? 

People watch to hopefully see them lose, universally hated!

46 minutes ago, Spookone said:

When Leeds are doing well they are always going to to get very large crowds as there is no competition from another team in the same city.

Just imagine the crowds we would get if the blunts didn't exist.

we took 45k + to the play offs despite united 'existing' !

we'd never get a ticket if we make it back to them prem mate :biggrin:

Up to the early 60s I would have said no. Leeds was always considered a rugby and cricket city.

With our cup and league success of the 30s and attendances we would have been considered the dominant team in Yorkshire.

However in the modern era when football was growing in the post 1966 boom we were entering our depression period whilst Leeds were successful and gaining fans due to popularity of television. Yorkshire TV would feature most home games Leeds played.

In the recent past both clubs have had doldrum periods and some success. Our league cup being trumped by there league title.

In summary I would say Leeds are bigger than us and it would take a sustained period of success for the outsider fans to consider otherwise.

Boring enough SiJ?

Leeds have fans all over country and across europe too but not many actually attend games anymore. 

That 2,500 that went to Brighton won't have all have travelled from up here and anyway it was earlier in season with better weather attracting weekenders. 

Just after xmas in January doesn't make it an attractive fixture. Had it been Friday night in April I'm sure we would take 2,500. 

They've been decent a few times where as we've only won the league cup and had a good spell for ten years.

One club city too which helps make their attendances bigger.

They arent massively bigger these days but they're are bigger.

But then so what.There are bigger teams then them too.

No shame in it. We could be a small town club that struggles to get 10k.

You support who you support and that's it.

We do ok.

Leeds are a bigger club. All our league titles are not in living memory. The Revie era was televised, they have beaten clubs like Barcelona in a European Cup semi-final and more recently AC Milan in Champions League; reached a European Cup final; something Wednesday have never done. Leeds for three consecutive seasons 2000-2001-2002 average 39k each season. Since 1968 we haven't had an avg attendance over 30k. Ultimately Leeds have more potential than we do, unless we did Manchester City and absorbed 10's of thousands of glory supporters.

2 minutes ago, Zed said:

Leeds are a bigger club. All our league titles are not in living memory. The Revie era was televised, they have beaten clubs like Barcelona in a European Cup semi-final and more recently AC Milan in Champions League; reached a European Cup final; something Wednesday have never done. Leeds for three consecutive seasons 2000-2001-2002 average 39k each season. Since 1968 we haven't had an avg attendance over 30k. Ultimately Leeds have more potential than we do, unless we did Manchester City and absorbed 10's of thousands of glory supporters.

If they come good, at last ?

Just now, since59owe said:

If they come good, at last ?

Yup.

I remember in 1993, when I watched us at home versus Derby in quarter-final of FA Cup and Blackburn in Semi of League Cup. We didn't sell out home end in either game, was 30k for both matches. Kinda hit home to me we werent the big club some fans thought we were. Also failed to sell out FA Cup Final replay. Pretty sure Leeds, Villa etc would have. Just being realistic when comparing Wednesday to other clubs.

6 hours ago, WalkleyWeds said:

the 'big club' debate is one that will forever split opinions as there are lots of different ways to look at it. 

But yes if we are talking away support - and using every ounce of my strength not to slag them off - they do have a good following, helped very much by being a 1 team city. 

I also saw something a couple of years ago about the number of viewers when they are live on Sky and they were some way ahead of the other teams (not sure if this would still be true with Newcastle being here this season). 

Haha that felt rotten, can someone please say something awful about them now? 

Leeds only became a force to be reckoned with in the nineteen sixties under Don Revie - traditionally it had been a rugby town. Revie's style became synonimous with gamesmanship and a "win at all costs" mentality, and the squad he assembled had players who could really dish it out - hence "Dirty Leeds". Their fans were a real handful, too. In respect of reputation, I don't think Leeds have ever lived all of that down. Leeds are now a goodish side, but we shouldn't fear them. We threw it away against them at Hillsborough earlier on this season.