Are L##DS a far bigger club than us

10 minutes ago, Grimbarian said:

Yeah I specifically didn't number them as I don't consider one more than the other, because of sustained seasons in the Premier league by Swansea I'd put them very close in the equation to us TBH, Hull no chance, if they somehow survive, are taken over, get new owners and start throwing around the cash with full attendances it'll become closer and closer until we're promoted.

Interesting that you would put Swansea near us, I'd put them nowhere near us, Leeds, Forest, Derby, Wolves, or even Sheffield United.

This is Swansea's 6th season in the Premier League and Hull's 5th season - over the course of 9 seasons; that's pretty close. Add to the mix Wigan spent 8 successive season in the past 11 years in the Premier League - and they weren't then, and aren't now, anywhere near the clubs I mention above either. In fact, Wigan, Swansea and Hull could spent the next 25 years in the Premier League and they wouldn't be close to Wednesday or Leeds in the "big club" status.

The joy of football is all about different opinions though I guess.

3 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Interesting that you would put Swansea near us, I'd put them nowhere near us, Leeds, Forest, Derby, Wolves, or even Sheffield United.

This is Swansea's 6th season in the Premier League and Hull's 5th season - over the course of 9 seasons; that's pretty close. Add to the mix Wigan spent 8 successive season in the past 11 years in the Premier League - and they weren't then, and aren't now, anywhere near the clubs I mention above either. In fact, Wigan, Swansea and Hull could spent the next 25 years in the Premier League and they wouldn't be close to Wednesday or Leeds in the "big club" status.

The joy of football is all about different opinions though I guess.

Wigan didn't qualify due to poor attendances and spending power, especially in the last 3-4 seasons before the final drop their spending was significantly reined in, one trophy didn't qualify them!

2 minutes ago, Grimbarian said:

Wigan didn't qualify due to poor attendances and spending power, especially in the last 3-4 seasons before the final drop their spending was significantly reined in, one trophy didn't qualify them!

You're a harsh man! lol

I'd place 8 successive Premier League seasons, winning the FA Cup, a record signing of £7m, and a record sell of £16m pretty high up there with recent achievements (and again, ahead of Swansea's recent achievements). Worth noting that Swansea's average Premier League attendance is 20,398 and Wigan's is 18,575 - only a difference of c.1,800 - and Wigan have the Manchester clubs in pretty close proximity.

In the past, L**ds have had their moments, but so have we!  At the weekend they managed 25,000 against Derby, we managed 28,000 against Huddersfield. We have to split support between 2 teams in Sheffield - and both doing well!  In my opinion, as it stands today, we are the bigger club and hopefully by the end of the season we will finish higher than them!

Guest Kameron

This has been done many times, considering the population around Leeds and the fact they're a one city club, their support is poor.  Newcastle and Sunderland wipe the floor with them with smaller populations to draw from.  We could and should be doing better, the stadium needs sorting so that the full capacity can be utilised.

While there is no one metric of "bigger",on any reasonable take Leeds are a bigger club.  They have been within living memory a dominant force in the game; they have more absentee (south of England/Ireland support); they have a bigger media profile.  I would say they are as obviously "bigger" than use as we are bigger than Sheff U.

That might not have been so in 1960 but things have changed.  In 1960 you'd probably have said Everton were bigger than Liverpool.

Why this matters to people I have no idea.  If it's important to you to support a big club, then support Man U or Liverpool. 

It's a bit strange how much I dislike Leeds given that the three Leeds fans I know are all delightful.  I think it's very amusing how far they have fallen away and lost touch with the really big clubs over the past quarter of a century.

The other thing to say about "bigness" is that as usually understood it is becoming a redundant concept.  You'd think that if X is bigger than Y then over the medium to long term X will outperform Y.  The domination of TV revenues and within this the rise of superclubs is undermining this.  So for example Forest are on all normal measures bigger than Brighton but in five years time I reckon Brighton will be higher in the league structure.

1 hour ago, Grimbarian said:

For me the criteria that makes up which club is bigger is:

• Attendances home and away
  • Financial spending power
  • League currently played in
  • Trophies won to date

And yes for me Leeds are the bigger club, but if we get promoted and stay there beyond one season IMO the increased finances would move us past them (assuming they stayed below us).

So at the moment Leeds beat us on one your criteria , but are the bigger club ??