Total respect for what Hughton has done there and am absolutely chilled about the frustration of their team and their fans with us last year beating them in the play offs after a season when they were so close to automatics. Folk on here who can't understand that losing four players at Hillsboro was as bizarre as us surviving the 1st half Alamo at the Amex.

That said, I think they should take a good look at themselves. Taking out Jeremy Helan in such a brutal fashion down there clearly weakened his resolve to continue as a footballer. Hope he's praying for us this Friday - what goes round comes round!!!! 

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Fletch has been a warrior workhorse all season. Cant for one minute think Carlos will not start with him. 

I assume he will start with FF partnering him. Winnall on the bench, and Hooper not yet ready.

Personally, I would prefer Fletch and Winnall with FF left, but can't see Brighton away being the game Carlos will do so.

I agree, said the same in the team prediction thread. We played better at the game in Hillsborough once FF went left & both Fletch & Hooper were up front.

Knockaert against Pudil is going to be a crucial battle. If Reach plays I can see Knockaert just standing next to Pudil and Reach will be brought out of the game trying to help. But if we put FF there they would have to think again bout how high Knockaert presses because FF & Winnall would be attacking Bruno. Plus FF is good at getting back & nicking the ball anyway.

I doubt MacManaman will start but he could do a lot of damage in the last half hour if he's on his game. He might want to prove a point after the last match.

If we are 0-0 after the hour I would fancy us to nick a goal. Particularly if we bring Winnall on about the same time.

Brighton are the better team but they will want to get this one out of the way.

Watch out for the attempts to throw Fessi off his game by getting in his face and intimidating him.

Here's a thought.....

arguably our best performances this season have been away from home, at grounds where it's obviously hostile from the fans and the atmosphere gets heated. 

Then look at last Saturday and how different we looked as a team once the crowd were up after the goal. 

Does our team genuinely need motivation from the crowd to pick up the tempo and play at its best?

9 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Being bored I've just marked the players out of 10 and got the below outcome. 

I'm sure many will disagree with these marks, but I make it that it's going to be close! Adding McManaman and Winnall would probably improve our rating too

GK
Stockdale  8 / Westwood 9 
= 8 / 9 

Defence 
Bruno  8   /       Palmer  6
Dunk    9  /       Lees 8 
Duffy  7 /       Loovens 7
Adekugbe 5 /   Pudil 6 
=  30  /  27

Knockaert 9  /   Wallace 7
Norwood  7  /   Bannan 7 
Stevens 8   /     Hutchinson 9 
Skalak 7  /        Reach 6
=  31  /  29

Murray  8  /      Forestieri  9
Baldock 7  /       Fletcher  7
=  15   /   16 

Total =  84  /  81

It's even closer than you think, their defence only adds up to 29!

1 hour ago, Essix Blue said:

Then look at last Saturday and how different we looked as a team once the crowd were up after the goal. 

Does our team genuinely need motivation from the crowd to pick up the tempo and play at its best?

Carlos talks about the positive impact of vocal support from the fans getting behind the team in almost every interview about every game.

17 hours ago, full fathom five said:

To be honest I would take a 0-0 draw now as Brighton are the best team I've seen at Hillsborough this season.

I'd take a 0-0. Just hoping lads can bring 3 points home. If we can beat them it might just unnerve them a little and they could have a bad patch. 

8 hours ago, Anlaby Owl said:

They out muscled us on every occasion they played us during last two seasons. Their game depends on it but I think Wednesday a lot more resilient now. Think we'll win but referee will play a big part.

I think/hope we are a more resilient team now if not as fluid going forward so hoping we can stand up to any physical approach they take. I agree and mentioned earlier that we will need a strong set of officials for this game.

As much as we have talked about Brighton and the threat they carry from having a very good team and individuals who can win you a game, I bet their not looking forward to playing us and their fans will be feeling just as apprehensive about the threat we carry and the individuals we have. Plus the defeat to Preston on Saturday might have put a bit of doubt in their players/fans minds.

COME ON WEDNESDAY ,UTO, FTB

ON OUR WAY,WE'RE ON OUR WAY 

lol

8 hours ago, prowl said:

I doubt MacManaman will start but he could do a lot of damage in the last half hour if he's on his game. He might want to prove a point after the last match.

If we are 0-0 after the hour I would fancy us to nick a goal. Particularly if we bring Winnall on about the same time.

Brighton are the better team but they will want to get this one out of the way.

Watch out for the attempts to throw Fessi off his game by getting in his face and intimidating him.

Brighton are just as bad as Preston when it comes to trying to influence the three stooges?

I've got a feeling the new boys in our ranks will have a big influence on this game.

If we can keep it to 0-0 going into the 2nd half the appearance of a hungry Winnall and McManaman  will have a massive affect on the game, sucking defenders away from Nando and Fletch giving them the extra space to create some brilliance.

Hence a 0-2 win for the Owls. Easy int it! :ph34r: