Race for top two not a fore gone conclusion?

25 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

Get hourihane in and a Quality left Back and I think we can do it.

I'd also start Palmer at right back as I think he's better than hunt.

Isn't Fox a left back?

I don't know if he is "quality" or not, but I can't see us getting another.

I think he will play an important role in the next few months.

56 minutes ago, roll and nilsson said:

Looking at recent results and table maybe the top two isn't sewn up? Newc missed Shelvey badly and look likely to miss Gayle now. Brighton were without Dunk, Bong and Stephens yesterday. It just shows what a couple of injuries or suspensions to key players can do. With the play off teams going well it might give hope to the chasing pack. If we win on Friday night the gap will be down to 6points. We have such a strong defensive base and backbone to the side we have survived without scoring many. It was great to see Fessi score yesterday. Hopefully Winnall will settle in well and we can keep key players fit and get others back. Hourihane might just be the missing piece of the puzzle but there are chances for any of the top six I feel.

Yes, nothing is decided til the Fat Lady sings - look how Brightonfaded last season, and Newcastle were lucky to win yesterday. Whoever is the top two at any one time have the problem that the other sides pull out all the stops to beat then. So all is up for grabs - certainly at this stage of the season.

4 minutes ago, Wath-owl said:

Nah, not a chance of automatic this season. 

We haven't been close to the top two at any point, and overturning a 9 point gap to a team that have only lost 3 games all season (plus they have a game in hand) simply won't happen. 

9 points ahead. 1 game in hand. Quite similar to 6 points ahead and 2 games in hand. Now where have I heard that before? 

I love Wednesday fans lol 

Play absolutely crap against Preston and Wolves, somehow managing not to lose. Get done over 3-0 in the cup. Have an awful first half against Huddersfield and suddenly we can challenge the top two!

First of all I'm not being negative. I think we've done amazing this season and I think we'll get close to 80 points but to challenge the top 2 you need 90+. Our performances and goal scoring suggest we are not capable of that. 

2 minutes ago, Gargoyle said:

Everyone and their dogs thought the Barcodes were going to walk this division without dropping a point and would be promoted by Christmas!

Well they've lost the same number of matches as us, we aren't playing well and haven't all season (allegedly) yet find ourselves clear in a play off place.

Who's to say the Geordies wont lose another 7 matches before the end of the season? They have the most dilusional fans in the country who will soon be on their backs if they start to falter (all 52000 of them every week blah blah blah zzzzz).

If they lose Gayle (didn't he get injured yesterday?) and the Homos (Brighton to all the PC brigade) lose Knockoneout (sent off yesterday?) then the door is wide open.

(Unfortunately the dirt have managed to get a gem of a manager in Gary Monk and they might be the ones who snake into an automatic promotion place....)

Gercha

gary monk has done a great job with limited resources, can they keep up their great run, cc is cunning, has backbone, sticks to his principles, is still piecing together what will be a great squad, we havnt hit top gear yet, dc is different class to the leeds top brass shambles, no one can right us off for a top 2 place with so long to go.

16 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I love Wednesday fans lol 

Play absolutely crap against Preston and Wolves, somehow managing not to lose. Get done over 3-0 in the cup. Have an awful first half against Huddersfield and suddenly we can challenge the top two!

First of all I'm not being negative. I think we've done amazing this season and I think we'll get close to 80 points but to challenge the top 2 you need 90+. Our performances and goal scoring suggest we are not capable of that. 

Hear what you're saying, but do you not think that what has already gone before does not necessarily dictate what will happen from here on in.

I thought the second half yesterday was a sign of what we can do and what the future might hold.

Winnall looks like he could be the answer to a missing link in our play, McManaman the same, getting round the back of full backs and crossing from the bye line rather than 30 yards from goal.

We looked much more accomplished and for a period zinged it around at pace which is the first time they've done that this season.

It's starting to come together at last after a slowish start but where we have continued to gather points.

I reckon our season starts here, from a launch pad of being already sixth.

Get strapped in. 

9 points gap with 20 odd games left is easily achivable if we continue with recent results . 

What you have to remember is  all the teams have to play each other so they can't all get 3 points every week . 

I've not looked when the games are but if we win when Newcastle play Brighton , Brighton play Leeds , etc and the top two don't win that gap very quickly closes. 

Who ever thought we'd ever close the gap on Utd the day we lost at Chesterfield ! 

23 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Hear what you're saying, but do you not think that what has already gone before does not necessarily dictate what will happen from here on in.

I've seen us play like that already this season though, like against Wolves away or QPR at home. I genuinely think we have a great set up, squad, manager and chairman. But, we don't score enough goals and our performances in so many games haven't suggested we should finish top 2. I'm sure we can go up another gear but I reckon we'll be on around 80 points come the first week in May.

I just cannot see us getting 45 points from our remaining 20 games.

According to the 'Sky Sports Predictor' algorithm we've only got a 2% chance of finishing in the top two and a 46% chance of a top six finish.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/10727156/premier-predictor-newcastle-to-miss-out-on-championship-title-to-brighton

Mind you that was on Friday before we'd signed Winnall and then beat udders.

Although I don't think that we have a chance in hell of finishing 2nd, just imagine if we actually did it at Brighton's expense, and then they went on to lose in the playoff semi-final again.

Their already amusing bitterness towards us would probably then eclipse that of the pigs, the dingles, the toytown mini-pigs and Huddersfield combined. It would be absolutely glorious. 

Brighton lol 

We just have to keep on winning games and getting a confident run going and then hopefully the league position will take care of itself. I personally think play-offs is our aim this season, anything more is an absolute bonus and anything less would be seen as a bit of a failure after last season and the investment made since the Summer.

Would anyone put any serious money on top two not being Barcodes or Seagulls? 

No?

Then "yes"

it is a foregone conclusion.

Lets ta not be delusional. Get real. Friday is a free hit. They were 15 points better than us last season and will be 25 better this season. Good luck to Em. Cement play off place. Book hotel sooner rather than later.