Are we hated - If so why ?

2 minutes ago, CharlieOwl said:

I think we are just about as marmite as a club gets. I'm from Rotherham original so I've had to listen to the brain dead bile they  spilled out at regular intervals but since moving to Lincoln for University I've found some people actually have a bit off a soft spot for us as well.

Got a few friends that are Leicester fans and they always check on the results and wanting us to go up. 

I think a lot of it is down to where you are. If your living in Yorkshire there such a high concentration of Wednesday haters it's hard to see past it. 

It's not just Toytown that seems to have a problem with ourselves,You've only just got look at Idiots like " Derek The Donkey Fan " who comes on FH and says utter tripe like " We're Still The Premier Team in The Radio Sheffield Area " What a utter Plank Derek is.:tango:

This local rivalry is something which happened recently. I remember one night match in the 60's playing rovrum at Hillsborough and they might as well have been from the other side of the world. Since our demise they (local teams) have had the chance to compete evenly, they loved it but are now terrified that the normal service is about to resume.

Oh, the game, rovrum won 0-1 with a Frank Casper scoring a cracker iirc. He was a decent player. Pissed it down all night. Can't remember what year exactly, i'd guess at 1967.

30 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

How about ken the asthmatic blade..trying to blame us for the hillsbro disaster..mick tried to expose him for that..literally ANY stick they can think up..the hatred and bitterness is in some of their fans dna..for some its what gets them out of bed in a morning..they cant wait for us to lose to jump on facebook..its kind of irrational.

He was an absolute disgrace the other night. As bitter as pork can get but then again he is a pig and sounds like this.....

Edited by OasisOwl72

I think we're hated locally because we're the biggest club. Leeds hate us because we are a similar sized club and therefore rivals. Other clubs further away such as Huddersfield and Hull probably realise that ultimately we are a bigger club than them too. The Brighton thing is odd, can only be down to last season and their need to generate rivals as they have none (Palace?!)

We have more than our fair share of idiots though who think we're bigger than we are.

Bloke I used to work with was a big Leeds fan, he was in a pub in Leeds when Wednesday played Man utd in the rumbelows, said the whole pub went up when Wednesday scored, now maybe thats as much them hating Man Utd as liking us, but I have never had a problem with Leeds.

Huddersfields hatred baffles the f.ook outta me cos I never even look for their results, Charlton and Brighton?...even harder to understand.

The local clubs?, well Uniteds is understandable and is reciprocated for all the same reasons, its the only Derby, it always will be, maybe thats what p*sses Barnsley, and Toytown off, they will never really understand it, nor be a part of such as it, neither will Leeds United, thats why they have a fabricated hate for Manchester United, who will never give a flying f.ook about them.

As for clubs outside our immediate area, and I include Leeds United in this, I don't think they are bothered unless they are playing us, and I don't hear many bad words against Wednesday from fans of most other clubs

As others have said we are disliked by all the local sides but that's because we are by far the biggest club.

Have lived in various parts of the country and would say we are actually quite popular with most people I've met. Those that have no connection to Sheffield generally prefer us to the pigs (although with many of them it's due to Colin)  

We've been out of the top flight now for so long that many people would be happy to see us back. 

41 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Michael the Bitter Pig you mean also i'm just disgusted at the way he'd tried to use the issue to score cheap points over ourselves on Thursday night's FH.:columbo:

Most definetly and i thought it was very poor RS gave him the airtime to spout his nonsense. 

I suppose a lot of our perspective is gleaned from off Owlstalk, and lets be honest, we can be a right bunch of fannies on here....but for every P*ssed off Charlton fan, there have been fans like our Baggie friends, who took it in good humour and became a part of the forum, and in doing so, made me for instance, shout for West Brom when they are playing whoever the f.ook, simply because of their liking for our club. I always look for Herefords result, cos of wotsisname.

Owlstalk is probably not the best of places to come and suddenly join in, even for Owls fans at times...

I can remember years ago reading a post from a Chelsea fan, who did the usual, "Chelsea fan in peace" wotsit, then launched into about 10 paragraphs about supporting Chelsea, Ken Bates, The shed end, this that and the other...the first reply he got on here was...

C8.nt!

I thought it hilarious...he didn't post anymore lol

It also goes in waves as to how successful your club is currently doing, As we've been rubbish the last 17 years we've not been any sort of threat to the bigger clubs so I often hear complimentary things from Prem club fans about how we are a well supported side and how they liked so and so that played for us in the 90s etc. 

I always used to hate Forest when they were in the Prem but as they have had a very similar last 20 years to us I feel sorry for them these days, same goes with Portsmouth. 

I don't really sense any widespread or deep-seated antagonism to our club. Maybe I am insulated from this because I no longer tweet and don't bother with Facebook. I go to most away games and don't lately recall any type of antipathy on the part of the home supporters there. I think globally the Hillsborough disaster put us on the map for all the wrong reasons, but police rather than club are seen to be largely to blame. I think the most disliked clubs are the ones who are either neighbors or are most successful; the former is attributable to needing to be top-banana, while the latter is arguably down to jealousy and the British love of the under-dog. At any rate, the teams I most like to see trashed are the Blunts and Man United! Wednesday win, United lose makes my weekend.

14 minutes ago, Coyt said:

Most definetly and i thought it was very poor RS gave him the airtime to spout his nonsense. 

He's absolutely on tenterhooks waiting for Sheffield Wednesday PLC or whatever the incarnation was called back then to be prosecuted 

He will be like a kid at Christmas when / if it happens as it probably will IMO the fact that that Company has nothing to do with the present day will matter not to the hateful little bastad 

He couldn't say that the other day because that would probably count as Libel 

I've lived and worked up and down the country for the last 25 years and never heard a bad word against Wednesday. There's no love for the pigs that's for sure. Seen as a nasty little club with nasty fans.

Being the biggest club in the area means we'll be unpopular with the little clubs around us, but it's absolute nonsense to say Wednesday are hated anywhere outside radio Sheffield land 

Edited by WBridgfordowl