Conor Hourihane

Yep, Villa have spent close to £60M this summer. Net spend is around half that but add in parachute wages and you can see it'd be foolish for us to try and compete with that. Unlike Barnsley though we won't get upset about it. You just have to accept that wherever you are along the food chain there is always a bigger fish. 

The more and more I think about this lad the more and more I think he's exactly what we need.

i really hope we land him. Could quite easily become one of our best players and that's saying something with our current crop 

Aston Villa are interested in bringing Watford’s Adlene Guedioura to Villa Park, according to the Birmingham Mail.

f reports are to be believed, the West Midlands club are preparing to offer the Premier League outfit a fee of £3 million in exchange for his services.

The 31-year-old playmaker is reportedly one of a handful of central midfielders that Steve Bruce is studying with interest this month, having already submitted formal bids for Championship pair Henri Lansbury and Conor Hourihane.

Villa are keen to reinforce their creative options during the transfer window as they look to mount a delayed promotion push, in an attempt to return to England’s top flight at the first time of asking.

1 minute ago, ANDY said:

Aston Villa are interested in bringing Watford’s Adlene Guedioura to Villa Park, according to the Birmingham Mail.

f reports are to be believed, the West Midlands club are preparing to offer the Premier League outfit a fee of £3 million in exchange for his services.

The 31-year-old playmaker is reportedly one of a handful of central midfielders that Steve Bruce is studying with interest this month, having already submitted formal bids for Championship pair Henri Lansbury and Conor Hourihane.

Villa are keen to reinforce their creative options during the transfer window as they look to mount a delayed promotion push, in an attempt to return to England’s top flight at the first time of asking.

To be honest, I'd be happy with any of those three, although £3m for Guedioura seems a bit steep given his age. Surely Villa won't be signing all three!?

Hourihane just seems like the perfect fit based on what I've seen of him and his existing understanding with Winnall. Hopefully Villa's main interest lies elsewhere and we can steal a march on them.

We're also hampered by the fact that Barnsley don't want him to come here. They can't stop him, but they can appeal to him to choose Veela, all things being equal. The Winnall affair has caused such a stink, that I agree with those who said that it would only happen if both came together.

6 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

If we're in a shooting battle over money with Villa we'll lose. If family and location is a factor we will stand a chance. 

Just to clarify, a 3 1/2 year contract on the quoted wages of £28,000 per week is worth just over £5 million to the player before tax, crazy for a player who has made 15 Championship appearances. 

Its alot of wages but under contract its plausible he could be worth £5-10m+ performing very well at a top 6 champ club or solid in a steady prem club, so if we sold him we could still break evenish or make a profit!

Surely he'd take a bit less for a better chance of going up, staying closer to home and joining a former team mate.

We could also offer less than 28k rising to 30k+ if we go up using our better league position as leverage so its probably not over yet.

If we miss out we should still be ok with bannan, abdi hopefully getting fit and reach could probably play cm better than left wing too!

Aston Villa seem to be getting linked with pretty much every central midfielder going at present.

If they're seriously in for Hourihane than financially we can't compete, but lots of names are being thrown around and Villa could just be using him to get a better price for another target, alternatively it could be his agent linking him with clubs to get a better deal for his client.

I'd like to see him at Wednesday as his goal threat from midfield could be just what we need to push us over the line this season but only if the price is right.

Just now, StudentOwl said:

Winnall was on c.£5,000

What's hard to believe about him being on £7k?

Just think its a lot for a league one club like Barnsley (as they were when he signed) to pay a league one player signed from Plymouth. 

Winnall was on £4500 wasn't he. 

1 minute ago, Saxondale said:

I'm still quietly confident (based on nothing at all) that we will sign him this month. 

I'm not, I have a feeling we've already moved on or even using Hourihane as a smoke screen for a better target. 

A bidding war on a player with so little champ experience just seems daft beyond belief 

its no doubt we are after a replacement for Lee though

18 minutes ago, ohgoditsjames said:

This is why parachute payments in their current state are wrong, spending £60 million and then possibly another £10-20 million more is ridiculous.

Yes, but we're no slouches. As I posted in another thread, Wood at Leeds is on £17K a week. By comparison, Hooper is on £30K+ and Fletcher is on £40K weekly. If we fail we won't be able to blame the board for it.

3 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, but we're no slouches. As I posted in another thread, Wood at Leeds is on £17K a week. By comparison, Hooper is on £30K+ and Fletcher is on £40K weekly. If we fail we won't be able to blame the board for it.

Forestieri, Fletcher and Hooper on £100k per week in total

Wonder how many teams' budgets are at that level in this division

(Not a criticism, simply an observation)