ForzaWednesday

The cursed grounds

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, Geedee said:

I saw Wednesday win at goodison park around 1991 1-0 Sheridan I think. 

 

I seem to recall it's was our first win there since the 1950's.  

Sure I was there in the 80's when we nicked it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Sure I was there in the 80's when we nicked it...

 

The 1991 win was our first win there since 1961.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, flying-owl said:

St James Park, Exeter.

Been twice

Lost 5-1

Lost 2-1

I remember going there pre-season, probably late 90s. Can't remember too much but don't think we won. Is anyone as old as me and maybe remember the result?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

I always go to the away games where we get hammered

 

8-0 loss to Newcastle

4-0 loss to orient

5-1 loss to Exeter

7-0 loss to man city

6-0 loss to reading

 

last time I went to a away game and Wednesday won was in about 2006 when we beat the dingles 3-0 lol

Stop at home til June eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

 

The 1991 win was our first win there since 1961.

Won 1-0 Hirsty Scored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geedee said:

I saw Wednesday win at goodison park around 1991 1-0 Sheridan I think. 

 

I seem to recall it's was our first win there since the 1950's.  

 

Hirst scored it I think, might have been Boxing Day, certainly during the Christmas period.

 

We won't be the only side to have a poor record away to Arsenal but our record against Boro since they moved ground is dire, 1 win I think and can't remember many draws with plenty of goals conceded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pride park..been for most of the last ten years and only seen them win once and we were on the home end..and they almost always play poo ..that game when jones which ended 3-0 makes me shudder..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Icehockeyhair98 said:

Won 1-0 Hirsty Scored.

 

Yep, was on Boxing Day iirc, certainly around Christmas.  We were on that weirdly tiny terrace they had behind the goal and Hirsty scored the winner at our end. Scenes. 

 

Used to like playing at Everton around Christmas,  recall 4-0 and 4-1 wins there in the early to mid 90s.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not the grounds, it's the occasion. Thus any lower division league cup (or whatever grand title it has now) venue usually brings out the worst In us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to be Shrewsbury but we beat them the last time. Derby recently. What is it with that tinpot ground and us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Selhurst Park. As it's my local ground I've been there more then any other away ground. Nearly always ends in defeat. Away stand is horrible as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Onge said:

Selhurst Park. As it's my local ground I've been there more then any other away ground. Nearly always ends in defeat. Away stand is horrible as well.

 

Same with me. Seen Wednesday play more games there than anywhere, I think. Saw us beat Charlton there in 1990 and Palace (finally) in 2007.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

 

Same with me. Seen Wednesday play more games there than anywhere, I think. Saw us beat Charlton there in 1990 and Palace (finally) in 2007.

Charlton was before my time, but my first ever Wednesday game was against Wimbledon in 94 - we won 1-0. Bar that win in 2007, haven't seen another win there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Middlesborough for me both Ayresome Park and the Riverside. Been 3 times:

 

73/74 lost 8-0

83/84 lost 2-0 (season we went up under Wilko and Boro' did the double over us despite fighting relegation all season)

96/97 lost 4-2

 

If I ever go back there again I need my head looking at!

 

Been to Pride Park just once. We won 2-0!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

Middlesborough for me both Ayresome Park and the Riverside. Been 3 times:

 

73/74 lost 8-0

83/84 lost 2-0 (season we went up under Wilko and Boro' did the double over us despite fighting relegation all season)

96/97 lost 4-2

 

If I ever go back there again I need my head looking at!

 

Been to Pride Park just once. We won 2-0!

Quite contrary to that for me, ayresome park 3 times, 2 wins in league, and I think a draw in league cup and Riverside once, a draw but 1st time we scored there and 1st time we didn't lose there. Think I have got lucky up there, same with Reading only been once and it was our 2-0 win, usually get nothing down there either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now