Three Sheffield Wednesday players who could follow former advisor Paul Senior to Blackburn Rovers

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/01/05/three-sheffield-wednesday-players-who-could-follow-former-adviso/

Former Sheffield Wednesday advisor Paul Senior has taken on a role at Blackburn Rovers after leaving Hillsborough earlier this year, according to the Sun.

Senior's Linkedin profile claims he was the Owls' "designated 'Trader' with responsibility for signing and releasing players, brokering loans (and) contract negotiations", and adds that he signed "15 new players, loaned 4 and kept spending to budget allocated", during his year in the Steel City.

Could any of them follow him to Ewood Park this month? Here are three who might:

Lewis McGugan

Brought in by Senior after a productive loan spell at Hillsborough, McGugan failed to make an impression on Wednesday head coach Carlos Carvalhal, despite scoring six goals in 17 outings from midfield last season. None of Blackburn's current midfielders can boast those kinds of numbers. Transfer listed since August, McGugan should not be difficult to acquire. 

Sheffield Wednesday's Lewis McGugan celebrates scoring their first goal

Marco Matias

Another of Senior's recruits, Matias began his Owls career brightly, scoring a memorable opening goal against Leeds United in August 2015. Injuries have limited the Portuguese winger's impact since then, however, and a number of clubs in his homeland have been tipped to take him on loan once back fit. Blackburn look set to lose Ben Marshall this month, which could open the door for Matias to come in. Another chance for the 27-year-old to show that he can cut it at Championship level is likely appeal to Wednesday.

Marco Matias of Sheffield Wednesday (R) celebrates scoring their first goal

Lucas Joao

Blackburn's strike pairing of Danny Graham and Sam Gallagher has been one of few plus points for Owen Couple's side this season, scoring 18 league goals between them (nine apiece) so far. However, with Charlie Austin ruled out at Gallagher's parent club Southampton, Rovers are perhaps wary of an early recall for the 21-year-old loanee. Joao has struggled to replicate the six-goal, 11-game purple patch he enjoyed at the start of his Hillsborough stay, and a change of scenery could do him good. If the Owls bring in a new striker of their own before the deadline, the Senior signing is likely to be available.

Sheffield Wednesday's Lucas Joao in action with Barnsley's Andy Yiadom

three players who arguably haven't done it for us. It's all Paul seniors fault

Edited by darra

Matias and Joao if they go anywhere will be back to Portugal I reckon.

Such a shame about Joao, stuck up for him and had such high hopes but since he's returned to the side he's really not been up to it. I thought we'd go on to sell him for millions after watching some performances last season but he hasn't kicked on. Personally wouldn't want us to get rid just yet, a loan spell would be ideal for his confidence.

Former Sheffield Wednesday advisor Paul Senior has taken on a role at Blackburn Rovers after leaving Hillsborough earlier this year, according to the Sun.

Senior's Linkedin profile claims he was the Owls' "designated 'Trader' with responsibility for signing and releasing players, brokering loans (and) contract negotiations", and adds that he signed "15 new players, loaned 4 and kept spending to budget allocated", during his year in the Steel City.

Sort of proves what Holloway said about being a head coach. You give somebody a list of players you'd like and that's your only input until they are signed.

Edited by darra

1 hour ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Wednesday fans were salivating when we bought Lewis Mcgugan at the beginning of last season and he was our stand out player at the end of Grays tenure.

You don't become a bad player overnight...a very good mid championship player.

You've actually got to be playing the game to lay any sort of claim about being "very good", at it.

If he's so bloody good, why do you think he's not playing?

The only playing he's been doing lately is playing Carlos up.

When we had McGugan on Loan I remember posting on here saying if we were going to move forward as a championship club we had to make the move a permanent one.

If someone had said to me then that we would do the deal, move forward like we have done and he would play virtually no part it in it, I would've laughed at them but here we are with this current situation.

Personally with Kieran Lee out for the rest of the season and so far being our only real source of goals from midfield I think we should seriously look at McGugan again?

59 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

When we had McGugan on Loan I remember posting on here saying if we were going to move forward as a championship club we had to make the move a permanent one.

If someone had said to me then that we would do the deal, move forward like we have done and he would play virtually no part it in it, I would've laughed at them but here we are with this current situation.

And I posted that we shouldn't sign him. A club looking for promotion should be looking at better players that McGugan.

Our fans had been starved of any success for a long time and were clamoring over a player who stood out in a very average team. I still believe that he was either signed purely to give the fans a boost or it was simply part of the loan agreement.

He wasnt good enough for the Watford side that got prompted. Its the Heffernan effect. 

The only thing that we should be thankful to him for is his refusal to be flexible, otherwise we may have not ended up with Forestieri.

Edited by Miffed