Sam Winnall Signs - OFFICIAL

This is what he put...

A bit of an update. Been told by my mate that Winnall is done and dusted. Also and this is the controversial one, Conor is there today having talks too. I sort of knew that yesterday that they were after him but he's been seen there so basically same as Sam yesterday.

If anyone has been to training or can find out from anyone if Conor went training that would lend weight to the info I got this morning. That would be worse for me than Sam.

2 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

This is what he put...

A bit of an update. Been told by my mate that Winnall is done and dusted. Also and this is the controversial one, Conor is there today having talks too. I sort of knew that yesterday that they were after him but he's been seen there so basically same as Sam yesterday.

If anyone has been to training or can find out from anyone if Conor went training that would lend weight to the info I got this morning. That would be worse for me than Sam.

Hilarious if true

18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Thats an interesting way of looking at it. On the evidence of twenty odd games it might put him in the top 10%, based on goals scored, but is that an accurate measure of his abilities. I would say, our three strikers, all of whom have scored less than Winnall, would be deemed better strikers than the Barnsley man. If that were reflected right across the league, then he'd probably be nearer the bottom. Of course that wouldn't be the case, but I can certainly think of plenty of strikers in this league, who are better than Sam Winnall, irrespective of whether or not they've scored more goals. I think I'm being generous by putting him in the middle bracket.

Agree with this.

You need to take into account the type of team a player is playing in. For instance, Winnall is the main striker for Barnsley in a rather offensive team. Wednesday have Fletcher and Hooper, who I'd say are better strikers (and history proves this - career goals, level of football they've played at, transfer fees, and so on) but are playing in a team that plays decent football but are more cautious (and on course to beat our clean sheet record) - as a result, Fletcher and Hooper are behind on the top goalscorers chart.

Carlos needs to look for a striker who can score goals with the style of play he's set up this season. Would Winnall get more goals in our team than Fletcher or Hooper? I know very little of Winnall, but from the little I know, I'd say the answer to that is no.

Of course, if we got back to our attacking flair we had last season, then would Winnall fair better than our current strikers? Possibly as he's scoring goals in a team playing attacking football, but who have less quality in their squad than we do.

Thankfully, I believe Carlos knows what he's doing and I'm confident he'll do the right thing.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

9 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

If I knew it were likely to be a sale item, I probably would wait, yes. But that's just me. I understand your argument, but I'd tap the player up with a view to a free transfer and signing-on fee in the summer. Forbidden, but we all know it goes on.

But you've got to factor in the risk that the item will sell out and you might not end up with it.

Chances are if Barnsley keep hold of Winnall and he walks away for free in the summer, there will be a dozen clubs looking to get their hands on him. We might have to pay double the wages as a free agent and a larger signing-on fee than we would buying him under contract, so holding out could prove to be a false economy. Also, given his goals could be the difference between going up or not this season that's a £100m+ gamble.

Not easy this football club management lark - though it is easy us theoretically spending money that isn't ours! lol

Guest Copthorneowl
1 minute ago, Athelwulf said:

I was under the impression that Brucie at Veelah is after Hourihane. I'd be surprised if we got him, as whatever we could offer they could better.

Don't think anybody could argue with what you're saying at all only contribution I would make is that for some more ambitious players often game time or comes first and he might think that would be better with us but who knows.

18 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

This is what he put...

Interesting. 

Hope its true.

24 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

This is what he put...

LMAO this has got to be a massive wind up but if its true just wait for a meltdown by the dingles 

1 minute ago, Wath-owl said:

Just been on the Barnsley forum (one of those generic Mad forums like the pigs use) to see what their thoughts are on this. 

They all write in the same backwards way as they speak, it's bizarre. It's like reading a different language. 

I saw one fan suggesting that Hourihane coming to us would be a side ways step. 

Now i know we're only a few points ahead of them, but club size might be an attraction to him 

Guest domSWFC
2 minutes ago, Wath-owl said:

Just been on the Barnsley forum (one of those generic Mad forums like the pigs use) to see what their thoughts are on this. 

They all write in the same backwards way as they speak, it's bizarre. It's like reading a different language. 

Even there forum is backwards. It's like it was made in the 90s. 

27 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

This is what he put...

The beady eye is on you now S6 Owl.

We will remember lol