Sam Winnall Signs - OFFICIAL

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I guess because he's had a steady career so far, scoring regularly for lower league clubs. Now, playing in the championship, he's scored 11 goals for an average championship side. By all acconts, he has OK footballing ability, but does seem to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time. At this point in time, that sounds about average to me.

can I reverse the question, and ask you why anyone might consider him above average?

Well the fact that he's scored 11 goals for an "average" side would suggest he might be doing something right. Not sure how you can use that against him. 

Number of other clubs have expressed an interest in him too. 

Many of our current best players were not particularly glamorous: 

A keeper on a fee from Sunderland 

A centre half picked up for a nominal fee from Leeds

A veteran centre half who had no club when we signed him

A guy who retired once 

A guy who was brought in as a full back from Oldham. 

Not sure why you always feel inclined to dismiss any prospective signing. 

18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I guess because he's had a steady career so far, scoring regularly for lower league clubs. Now, playing in the championship, he's scored 11 goals for an average championship side. By all acconts, he has OK footballing ability, but does seem to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time. At this point in time, that sounds about average to me.

can I reverse the question, and ask you why anyone might consider him above average?

When we first got taken over, I'd have looked down on this sort of signing as a bit boring and aimless. I was excited about shopping abroad and seeing different types of players come in than what we were used to.

After Sougou, Joao, Matias, Urby, Bus, Melo, Dielna and Sasso.. a bit of known quality from our own league sounds quite appealing.

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Well the fact that he's scored 11 goals for an "average" side would suggest he might be doing something right. Not sure how you can use that against him. 

A guy who retired once 

Something about nail and head springs to mind here.:stuwinky:

As others have mentioned a double deal for Hourihane too would make sense. he currently has the most assists to his name in the division at 11 and goalscoring chances are not something we have created so many of this season. Come to that, last season's stats were down on those when Stuart Gray was at the helm although the finishing was a lot more clynical with Hooper and Forestieri both having good goalscoring runs.

How much for Hourihane and Winall?

29 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Some of the Barnsley fans tweets to Winnall are hilarious. They simply couldn't stand him coming here.

They will be circling his house with their caravans to stop joining us. 

Related image

Guest wilyfox

To see the fees being touted for Hourihane and Lansbury, makes me wonder why clubs are willing to stump up that much for players out of contract in 6 months time. I appreciate they want the player, but it's just bad business. 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

A guy who retired once 

Not any prospective signing, but certainly quite a few, yes. Let's face it though, most are cr@p, the rumours that is, and never happen anyway. I am well aware of the success story's from humble beginnings, amongst our current squad. There's also been a fair few failures over the years as well. I think the description of Winnall, as an average championship striker, is a fair one, not least because he has no meaningful record there. As I sad very early in the thread, at £500,000, he's probably worth a gamble.

I just don't see why it warrants such fervour on here though.

Just now, wilyfox said:

To see the fees being touted for Hourihane and Lansbury, makes me wonder why clubs are willing to stump up that much for players out of contract in 6 months time. I appreciate they want the player, but it's just bad business. 

The desperation for Premier league money sooner than later I reckon. 

Just now, wilyfox said:

Could be any number of things

In the clubs minds is it worth paying that bit extra to jump the queue and avoid the free for all at the end of the season?

Also is it a player they think is worth the gamble?  Say if Lansbury could be the difference in getting us to the jackpot that comes with PL football, is he worth an extra £1 million now?

Guest wilyfox
Just now, RichieB said:

The desperation for Premier league money sooner than later I reckon. 

Maybe so, but there's no guarantee Villa will go up if they sign either or both. If they do, it'd probably need to be via the playoffs which are tricky to negotiate. It's impatience and wasteful spending. 

Guest wilyfox
Just now, Lee A said:

Could be any number of things

In the clubs minds is it worth paying that bit extra to jump the queue and avoid the free for all at the end of the season?

Also is it a player they think is worth the gamble?  Say if Lansbury could be the difference in getting us to the jackpot that comes with PL football, is he worth an extra £1 million now?

Maybe, but I've always thought that a player probably has a preference where he wants to go anyway. Would you sign a 3 or 4yr contract now elsewhere, when you could join the club of your choosing in 6 months?