Sam Winnall Signs - OFFICIAL

Winnall would be our best header of the ball by miles. Thing I like about this deal is even if the reported price tag isn't quite true, anything under £2 million would be a real bargain for a player who's scored that many goals this season. 

I wouldn't exactly turn my nose up at Hourihane either, he'd be another good value signing given his contract is also running out. I do honestly think that we'd be better off no longer chasing the silly money signings like Rhodes and instead keeping FFP worries well away by focusing on signings like these where we're paying well under the odds for great players. Forestieri is another great example of this, his valued must have quadrupled since he joined us.

35 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Really? I think they'd be too similar, their reported interest in Ashley Fletcher made far more sense to me.

Not sure what type of forward they're after, Fletcher, Winnall and Wells have all been linked. Most of those a fairly mobile, it's just Rhodes who isn't Don't think they'd pay the price for Rhodes anyway

34 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

He's a number 9, think Vardy but with a brummie accent  

I wouldn't say he had Vardy's pace though Tell you who he reminds me of, Luke Varney, not when we had him, but when he was in his prime

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I wouldn't say he had Vardy's pace though Tell you who he reminds me of, Luke Varney, not when we had him, but when he was in his prime

Out of interest, when exactly would you define as Varney's prime? He's only hit double figures once in his entire career and that was in league one.

33 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Out of interest, when exactly would you define as Varney's prime? He's only hit double figures once in his entire career and that was in league one.

When he was younger and had a bit of pace. He never really scored enough goals did he

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

From the goal clips I've seen he has pace, and mainly the same speed of thought as Vardy inside the penalty area. 

Not many players run as fast as Vardy 

I'm not convinced he's the answer to our goalscoring problems. Not just him, I've never really thought we'd suddenly become more prolific, not even with Jordan Rhodes. If Hooper, Fletcher and Forestieri, can't score goals in this team, it probably tells you it's more to do with the way we play. 

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I'm not convinced he's the answer to our goalscoring problems. Not just him, I've never really thought we'd suddenly become more prolific, not even with Jordan Rhodes. If Hooper, Fletcher and Forestieri, can't score goals in this team, it probably tells you it's more to do with the way we play. 

I'm just going on the clip above here, but he looks like he'd at least give us something that Fletcher and Hooper don't, someone who's willing to drive at defenders with the ball. He also looks a lot more mobile.

Been reading the Barnsley forum... according to their fans he isn't that quick, is poor at holding the ball up, has poor control but is very good in the air & at finishing. In other words a poacher, someone we'd throw on at the end if we're bombarding the opposites box to grab a draw or win. Think Nuhiu but with goals.

34 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I'm just going on the clip above here, but he looks like he'd at least give us something that Fletcher and Hooper don't, someone who's willing to drive at defenders with the ball. He also looks a lot more mobile.

I can see that, and in a way, although he's hapless in front of goal, Joao looks like the best partner for Forestieri. So someone who will run at defenders, and can finish, yes would seem to be something that could work. For me though, I think it's mainly tactics, and possibly mindset, that have stifled our goals output. It seems a strange thing to say, but I think Hooper, Fletcher and Forestieri, would all score more goals in Barnsley's team. I'm not saying they are the better side, but they play with a freedom that allows their creative players to be effective. I just don't see that Winnall would get that here.

16 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

Going by that goals vid he looks decent, it's the best bits granted, but he looks like he'd give our forward line a boost just with his energy alone.

Could be quite exciting with a midfield of Forestieri, Hutch, Abdi and McManaman, and him and Hooper up front......if Abdi ever gets a game mind.

Its frustrating as we outsiders think we can put together a more exciting team with the players we have, but there's probably a reason why we're not in Carlos' position! Watching the Man Utd game tonight with the favoured formation of today you'd think a striker in front of Forestieri, Abdi and McManaman would be fantastic. 

Westwood

Hunt       Lees      Loovens      Fox

Hutchinson      Jones

McManaman   Abdi    Forestieri 

Winnall

11 minutes ago, Stainless1983 said:

Been reading the Barnsley forum... according to their fans he isn't that quick, is poor at holding the ball up, has poor control but is very good in the air & at finishing. In other words a poacher, someone we'd throw on at the end if we're bombarding the opposites box to grab a draw or win. Think Nuhiu but with goals.

Interesting, not quick and poor control is not the impression you get watching his highlights but I'll bow to their greater knowledge of the player

Certainly I'd prefer having Winnall on the bench to bring on than Nuhiu and Joao