Help Please...

7 minutes ago, aeroswfc said:

Brilliant work mate.  

Thanks!

I will get mocked as always for saying it but it's all a basic part of my job.

Just now, aeroswfc said:

The date of Birth in the book is 1887/1888. 

So nobody seems to know. 

If I spend proper time on it rather than a couple of snatched hours in between jobs I could get it. If I get chance I'll come back to it in future.

25 minutes ago, Wild Will Smith said:

I have now fleshed out the Wikipedia page so that it contains most of the information here, in a basic form. If @dunsbyowl or @KivoOwl have anything they wish to add here or on Wikipedia they can do so now.

Overview of James 'Jimmy Spoors'

Name: James Spoors

Born: 1887 or 1888 (needs clearing up)

Died: 1960

Place of Birth: Jarrow area of Durham

Place of Death: Worksop

Father: William Spoors

Mother: Margaret Spoors

Spouse: Winifred Hudson

Married: 14 May 1914 at Wadsley Parish Church

Children: Annie Margaret (born 21 May 1916)

1891 Census

Born: c.1888 in Jarrow, Durham.

Address: 9 Woods Terrace, Jarrow.

1891 Census.jpg

1901 Census

Born: c.1887 in Springwell, Durham.

Address: 5 Wood Terrace, Jarrow.

1901 Census.jpg

1911 Census

Born: c.1888 in Gingling Gate, Jarrow, Durham.

Address: 53 Lennox Road, Hillsborough, Sheffield.

1911 Census.jpg

Marriage

Date: 14 May 1914

Place: Wadsley Parish Church, Sheffield.

Bride: Winifred Husdon.

Address: Castle Inn, Dykes Hall Road, Hillsborough, Sheffield.

Marriage.jpg

Military

Regiment: 4th Depot, 302nd Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery.

Service number: 127370.

Residence: Castle Inn, Dykes Hall Road, Hillsborough, Sheffield.

Wife: Winifred Spoors.

Children: Annie Margaret (born 21 May 1916).

Previous employment: Munitions worker.

Trades: Steel smelter.

Service record and medal index:

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00826.jpg

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00828.jpg

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00834.jpg

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00838.jpg

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00842.jpg

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00845.jpg

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00848.jpg

Medal Card 1.jpg

Medal Card 2.jpg

Notes:

I have not included any of the information from the newspaper archive here, if you require actual copies of the reports i used to build his profile on his Wikipedia page let me know and i shall make copies and put the images on a post here, but i imagine references will be adequate? Please see the Wikipedia page for them. There are some photographs of him in the National Archive at Kew, i can get hold of copies of these but that would cost you i'm afraid. I posted two images of him taken from newspapers that i found in a post (above) i assume these will do?

IMG_0274.PNG.15f8e8e96816127d52dfece8fc2613c2.jpg

Above: Jimmy Spoors bowling (left).

Please note, i don't mind doing this for you but all of the images here are subject to copyright as you would expect so don't go publishing them in a book or anything daft without permission.

Hope this all helps. Anything else you need just let me know. It has been nice to read about a player i knew little about, thanks for posting your thread.

Marriage.jpg

brilliant work mate

I echo Aero's thoughts - brilliant work, beyond all my expectations

I am looking forward to seeing my elderly friend down at the pub on Friday night where I can pass on all the information provided, I am sure he will be over the moon

Thanks again to all of you especially WWS

I will be in the Queens Ground pre match on Saturday if you can make yourself known it would be nice to meet you and share a pint (or two)

Thanks again

WAWAW

48 minutes ago, Malcolm Darling said:

I echo Aero's thoughts - brilliant work, beyond all my expectations

I am looking forward to seeing my elderly friend down at the pub on Friday night where I can pass on all the information provided, I am sure he will be over the moon

Thanks again to all of you especially WWS

I will be in the Queens Ground pre match on Saturday if you can make yourself known it would be nice to meet you and share a pint (or two)

Thanks again

WAWAW

You're welcome.

That's what this site does.

Helps out a fellow fan.  

Some quality work has been done on this guy, I'm very impressed :columbo:

Not sure whether it's already been covered. He was married to a former Owls daughter, John Hudson. He played in Wednesday's first ever FA Cup tie in 1880

https://books.google.ie/books?id=9uBiCgAAQBAJ&pg=PT141&lpg=PT141&dq=jimmy+spoors&source=bl&ots=vjminSn3TP&sig=3IzVhhbMhX2Gh7DaY-Ktys2q1Qg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbnKS12rjRAhWmJsAKHYpgB3UQ6AEIVzAS#v=onepage&q=jimmy spoors&f=false

Hi - only just seen this - I have a dim memory someone was asking about Jimmy Spoors before, possibly a family member but can't see on this forum.

Here's a couple of bits :

Cigarette Card with photo of Jimmy as a young man

Spoors_zps3n0xzepa.jpg

also small press snippett from April 1918

spoors%2022-4-1918_zpsp3bb2zdl.jpg

Edited by dunsbyowl

Interesting photos from Wednesday's first ever continental trip to Sweden & Denmark in 1911.

Jimmy was a member of the touring party and scored in at least one game when Wednesday beat Orgryte 5-0. The match took place in Gothenburg on Sunday 21 May 1911 (Wednesday's first Sunday match)  with goals from Spoors (penalty), McLean, Kirkman, Wilson and Robertson.

1911-Sheffield-Wednesday-Tour-Of-Denmark

Evening all.

I have been asked to thank you all for your contributions and guidance in this topic

My original intention was to print off all the information you provided and present it to my mate (Trevor) but on second thoughts and due to the vast amount of info provided I directed him towards Owlstalk.

Trevor has begun work on a comprehensive story relating to Jimmy Spoors and the easiest way to convey his thanks to you all is for me to relay the last paragraph (so far)

"Thanks to all the people who have helped, especially those from Owlstalk, my daughter for her help and also for putting up with my moods. I don't know if this journey has ended yet but I have enjoyed the whole presentation. It has been a privilege and a pleasure to have met so many people, both in person and through the net"

"Once again thanks for all the help in making it possible to put a face to a memory"

"WAWAW" 

34 minutes ago, Malcolm Darling said:

Evening all.

I have been asked to thank you all for your contributions and guidance in this topic

My original intention was to print off all the information you provided and present it to my mate (Trevor) but on second thoughts and due to the vast amount of info provided I directed him towards Owlstalk.

Trevor has begun work on a comprehensive story relating to Jimmy Spoors and the easiest way to convey his thanks to you all is for me to relay the last paragraph (so far)

"Thanks to all the people who have helped, especially those from Owlstalk, my daughter for her help and also for putting up with my moods. I don't know if this journey has ended yet but I have enjoyed the whole presentation. It has been a privilege and a pleasure to have met so many people, both in person and through the net"

"Once again thanks for all the help in making it possible to put a face to a memory"

"WAWAW" 

Good stuff.

If he intends on publishing his story when finished please nudge him to pm me and I'll send him a full list of references for the information, if he needs them. Or further help, I'm always happy to help.

2 hours ago, Wild Will Smith said:

Good stuff.

If he intends on publishing his story when finished please nudge him to pm me and I'll send him a full list of references for the information, if he needs them. Or further help, I'm always happy to help.

WWS - that is a fantastic piece of work you've done there and it really shows what a fantastic family we have amongst Wednesday followers.  I have no connection with the OP but I am truly humbled by the work you have put in and the information you have found on Jimmy Spoors.  Well done mate!

I work in the heritage sector in multiple roles. Part of the time I work in museums and other similar institutions, mainly research based and building exhibitions for their curators to curate.

The rest of the time I work as a buildings archaeoogist/conservator. This is a mixture of research roles and practical hands on site work. And I'm squeezing my PhD into it where I can.

Really enjoy doing football research, mixes two things I enjoy doing really well. Have worked i the past with non league football clubs researching their players. Always happy to help.