Help Please...

Hullo fellow Wednesdayites

A rare post from me

Was wondering if there is anyone out there who can help with an information request regarding a former player - Jimmy Spoors

A good friend of mine has been searching for info about Jimmy and basically is struggling

Jimmy played for the Owls (right back) during the early 1900's, on the end of his playing career he followed the route of many footballers of that era and went into pub management,namely the Gateford Hotel in Worksop. My friends father frequented this pub and fell in love with Jimmy's daughter Nancy, later marrying her. She fell pregnant but tragically both Nancy and the baby died in childbirth.

That's about the extent of his knowledge and he would dearly like to know more

Thanks in advance

Jimmy Spoors Info

IMG_0273.PNG

In April 1916 Wednesday gave Jimmy permission to play on loan for Rotherham County, as cover for the injured Stacey. Spoors was a fan favourite at Wednesday but had struggled to make the first team so was happy to take the opportunity to get some game time. The visitors to Millmoor were none other than Sheffield United, who County had earlier beaten at the Lane. Needless to say Spoors made his Rotherham debut, played well and helped them overcome United for the second time that season!

During the war Jimmy was first employed in a munitions factory then later as a mechanic, serving with the army in Italy and France. Never one to miss the opportunity for a game of football Jimmy represented the army whilst enlisted.

1920 was a difficult year for Jimmy with a series of injuries, and his wife also suffered with ill health. A serious knee injury saw him lose his place in the Wednesday team and he moved to Barnsley in June, with his knee injury reportedly behind him. Jimmy went on to have the special privilege of leading Barnsley against Wednesday that September, helping his new club keep a clean sheet. Barnsley went on to shock the footballing world by experimenting with playing Jimmy at centre forward, with Jimmy proving a quite talented scorer of goals, unexpectedly after a long career in defence. Towards the end of his career Jimmy moved on to Worksop Town.

IMG_0274.PNG

Above: Jimmy (left) bowling.

By the 1930's Jimmy had turned his hand to bowls, winning the 1933 Brewers Bowl at the Cross Sythes Hotel Green, Totley. He was the manager of the Old Blue Ball pub in Hillsborough as well as an associate member of the Sheffield, Rotherham & District Licenced Victuallers Association.

I have made a basic Wiki page for you with this info on, it will need tidying up and completing with figures later (does anyone have his  other club data?). I can't see any reference to him being Barnsley manager as Aero pointed to, source Aero? I've added it as a category for now.

Here is the wiki I made: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Spoors

Ignore the citation errors (I'll fix them soon). Hope this is helpful?

49 minutes ago, Malcolm Darling said:

Many thanks to all - much appreciated

No problem. I was shocked that there wasn't already much written about him and no wiki page, so you asking has fixed that now anyway. All the references i used for the page are newspapers so keep an eye on it, if I find anything else i shall add it on. Will get his proper birth, death, war details up today if I get the chance.

Right, bit of extra info. The 1911 census shows he was born circa 1888 at Gingling Gate (near Jarrow), Durham and that he was then purely professional as a footballer. He lived at 53 Lennox Road, Hillsborough, renting a room from the Hancock family.

1891 census records appear to show a James Spoor born c. 1888 in Jarrow whereas the 1901 census records show a James Spoor born c.1887 in Springwell, Durham. I assume these are the records of his life, and are the same man.

His army record is much more confusing as there are a few James Spoors serving with the army in the north of England in WW1, give me an hour or two and I'll post them up. I suspect his records are part of the burnt records and will be incomplete but I'll post up what I find.

Any news on where you got the Barnsley manager reference and playing figures from @aeroswfc?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Wild Will Smith said:

Right, bit of extra info. The 1911 census shows he was born circa 1888 at Gingling Gate (near Jarrow), Durham and that he was then purely professional as a footballer. He lived at 53 Lennox Road, Hillsborough, renting a room from the Hancock family.

1891 census records appear to show a James Spoor born c. 1888 in Jarrow whereas the 1901 census records show a James Spoor born c.1887 in Springwell, Durham. I assume these are the records of his life, and are the same man.

His army record is much more confusing as there are a few James Spoors serving with the army in the north of England in WW1, give me an hour or two and I'll post them up. I suspect his records are part of the burnt records and will be incomplete but I'll post up what I find.

Any news on where you got the Barnsley manager reference and playing figures from @aeroswfc?

Thanks.

Yes It's in The Wednesday Boys Who's Who of Wednesday Players. 

He was player manager of Barnsleys Midland League side It also says he married the daughter of former Wednesday player Jack Hudson. 

Also later became a publican of Sheffield. 

I have now fleshed out the Wikipedia page so that it contains most of the information here, in a basic form. If @dunsbyowl or @KivoOwl have anything they wish to add here or on Wikipedia they can do so now.

Overview of James 'Jimmy Spoors'

Name: James Spoors

Born: 1887 or 1888 (needs clearing up)

Died: 1960

Place of Birth: Jarrow area of Durham

Place of Death: Worksop

Father: William Spoors

Mother: Margaret Spoors

Spouse: Winifred Hudson

Married: 14 May 1914 at Wadsley Parish Church

Children: Annie Margaret (born 21 May 1916)

1891 Census

Born: c.1888 in Jarrow, Durham.

Address: 9 Woods Terrace, Jarrow.

1891 Census.jpg

1901 Census

Born: c.1887 in Springwell, Durham.

Address: 5 Wood Terrace, Jarrow.

1901 Census.jpg

1911 Census

Born: c.1888 in Gingling Gate, Jarrow, Durham.

Address: 53 Lennox Road, Hillsborough, Sheffield.

1911 Census.jpg

Marriage

Date: 14 May 1914

Place: Wadsley Parish Church, Sheffield.

Bride: Winifred Husdon.

Address: Castle Inn, Dykes Hall Road, Hillsborough, Sheffield.

Marriage.jpg

Military

Regiment: 4th Depot, 302nd Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery.

Service number: 127370.

Residence: Castle Inn, Dykes Hall Road, Hillsborough, Sheffield.

Wife: Winifred Spoors.

Children: Annie Margaret (born 21 May 1916).

Previous employment: Munitions worker.

Trades: Steel smelter.

Service record and medal index:

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00826.jpg

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00828.jpg

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00834.jpg

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00838.jpg

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00842.jpg

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00845.jpg

GBM-WO363-4-007327676-00848.jpg

Medal Card 1.jpg

Medal Card 2.jpg

Notes:

I have not included any of the information from the newspaper archive here, if you require actual copies of the reports i used to build his profile on his Wikipedia page let me know and i shall make copies and put the images on a post here, but i imagine references will be adequate? Please see the Wikipedia page for them. There are some photographs of him in the National Archive at Kew, i can get hold of copies of these but that would cost you i'm afraid. I posted two images of him taken from newspapers that i found in a post (above) i assume these will do?

IMG_0274.PNG.15f8e8e96816127d52dfece8fc2613c2.jpg

Above: Jimmy Spoors bowling (left).

Please note, i don't mind doing this for you but all of the images here are subject to copyright as you would expect so don't go publishing them in a book or anything daft without permission.

Hope this all helps. Anything else you need just let me know. It has been nice to read about a player i knew little about, thanks for posting your thread.

Marriage.jpg