Middlesbrough vs The Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

Guest Copthorneowl

Can somebody that's been to the match please give us an accurate report On the match rather than radio ranters.

Guest The Horse
2 minutes ago, steveger said:

It's not about losing 3.0 to a poor 10 man boro team, i'm more worried about our failure to create and score goals, it's not a promble that's just arisen, it needs dealing with or it will cost us, sooner and later our luck was going to run out and we would pay for our lack of creativity, thankfully that was today in the FA Cup and not another league game, we need personnel who can create goal scoring opportunities and personnel who can put those said opportunities away.

Yep - that's my feelings too.
We have Forestieri, Reach, McManaman, Bannan, Abdi to name but a few who are all exciting, talented and creative players - proved it consistently in the past.
It's almost comical that with such players, we don't create enough.
Fletch and Hooper are also intelligent forwards who have been proven to score if the service is there.

So the problem must be with the way we set up and that is 100% Carlos' problem to solve.

Sat on the train back and my emotions are quite similar to those I had on the train back from Birmingham away earlier this season. At present, I'm livid. We played well and kept it tight first half, then came out as the better team at the start of the second half as we often do but blew it by conceding two stupid, needless goals.

Bannan dicks around with the ball in our half, then loses it and gives away a stupid foul from which they inevitably score. For the second goal people are being overly critical of Wildsmith, Pudil sold him down the river with that backpass instead of just getting rid of the fecking thing. By the third goal we'd just given up, despite our man advantage, which wasn't great to see.

I'm not overreacting though, the centre halves played well and weren't at fault for the goals we conceded. Forestieri had one of his better days buzzing around their half trying to make things happen. The sideways pass stuff is true to an extent but Bannan drove me mad in the first half, Reach kept making dangerous runs in behind but Bannan never seemed to look left and always gave it to Palmer, who has zero ability going forward.

Not a great day really, but there's been a lot worse in previous years, now to make sure it doesn't derail our league form. I confess myself disappointed at our complete ability to kick on from the Newcastle game which was our best performance of the season. Ah well, onwards and upwards.

5 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Sat on the train back and my emotions are quite similar to those I had on the train back from Birmingham away earlier this season. At present, I'm livid. We played well and kept it tight first half, then came out as the better team at the start of the second half as we often do but blew it by conceding two stupid, needless goals.

Bannan dicks around with the ball in our half, then loses it and gives away a stupid foul from which they inevitably score. For the second goal people are being overly critical of Wildsmith, Pudil sold him down the river with that backpass instead of just getting rid of the fecking thing. By the third goal we'd just given up, despite our man advantage, which wasn't great to see.

I'm not overreacting though, the centre halves played well and weren't at fault for the goals we conceded. Forestieri had one of his better days buzzing around their half trying to make things happen. The sideways pass stuff is true to an extent but Bannan drove me mad in the first half, Reach kept making dangerous runs in behind but Bannan never seemed to look left and always gave it to Palmer, who has zero ability going forward.

Not a great day really, but there's been a lot worse in previous years, now to make sure it doesn't derail our league form. I confess myself disappointed at our complete ability to kick on from the Newcastle game which was our best performance of the season. Ah well, onwards and upwards.

Accurate summary that, Bannan sometimes needs to do the simple stuff and play safe in defensive areas. He didn't, put us in danger and then his head was gone as he runs around trying to make up for it and playing bad passes. 

The he left was wide open in that first half but yet we fail to capitalise on it, but then again we don't really make positive forwards in any matches.

1 hour ago, Copthorneowl said:

Fair point but let's be straight our strikers don't need anybody to coach them tucking sitters away that you and I could score.

The problem for me is that we don't attack with intensity it's one or two guys up front with support straining to get there in time to help. We're missing Hooper which I said from the off but most of the complainers wanted him dropping when he got injured now it's another tune to sing to. 

It was a tiny few criticising Hooper, but they shout loud and often.

49 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Always good to read decent fair match reports.

Guest Copthorneowl
2 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Always better to read from somebody at the game than a radio rant thanks for your views matey.

2 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Likewise, to a tee, I just thought we were so dull first half, & we could have created more. I came home from Brum more head scratching at Westwoods mad moment than anything else!

3 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Thanks for this.  Balanced report.  Needed to read this before going on some more hyperbolic histrionics...