How have some of you made it through the last 15 years?

44 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

We tend to think we are a BIG club, but since I started going 70 years ago, I have seen MORE second and third division football than I have top league football. We tend to forget that we have not been a Premiership club since 2000. Even Barnsley have been in the Premiership since we have, even if only for one season. We certainly have no divine right to top layer football. The last couple of seasons has seen us watch more improved football than for a long time. It was regular to here the comment 'Will we escaped relegation , do you think?' much more often than 'Shall we make the play-off's.' 

their Premier League season was 97-98.

Team is playing below what they can. 

You either grumble or say nothing and hope they get back on it.

I don't think any of those would be wrong.

But making drama threads about people being drama queens when they are just frustrated and passionate owls who want their team to play to their full potential would be wrong Imo.

But that's only my opinion.

14 hours ago, Helen Waddle said:

I stood on the (uncovered) Kop to watch Wednesday get relegated from the old Division 1 in 1970.  I was 11.  It peed down with rain.

I paid a ticket tout a small fortune for tickets to Wembley in 1991 (I was a London Owl in those days) and saw us win our first proper trophy in many, many years.

I've never boo-ed at a Wednesday match in my life.  You don't - if you go, you go for the whole game and you get behind your team for the whole game.

That's what being a Wednesday fan is about - keeping the faith.  That's not to say that you can't ask questions, discuss why a player is or is not playing well, why the manager is or is not making good decisions.  But you have to be in it for the long haul.

If not, bog off down t'Lane.

Well, at least you saw Tony Book deliberately miss that penalty from close up. I was on LLE. A 13 y.o. dying inside.

We had some great times since, though, eh?:biggrin:

Frustrating.

But that is the same for 90% of football fans.

How many teams actually win much....?

There has been times when there's been players who were shocking but would give their all. 

There has been times when there's been players with talent who didn't try a leg. 

I've never booed either type. Though I have had to hold myself back from time to time.

A tough 15 years, in terms of people want to see winning football. Some people want to see 'good football'.

Reality is that I would be watching Wednesday if they dropped all the way through.  I'd still want them to win as many games as they can.

I'd still want them to try and play exciting stuff.  

The level has never really bothered me that much.

I was recently talking to my pal who occasionally takes me to Old Trafford about what it's like being a Wednesdayite vs supporting Man Utd.

I observed that it made me laugh when Van Gaal was sacked the day after Utd won the FA cup.  Oh, to support a team for whom 'failure' is deemed 'only' winning the cup!

2 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

We tend to think we are a BIG club, but since I started going 70 years ago, I have seen MORE second and third division football than I have top league football. We tend to forget that we have not been a Premiership club since 2000. Even Barnsley have been in the Premiership since we have, even if only for one season. We certainly have no divine right to top layer football. The last couple of seasons has seen us watch more improved football than for a long time. It was regular to here the comment 'Will we escaped relegation , do you think?' much more often than 'Shall we make the play-off's.' 

No they haven't.

17 hours ago, whyte_owl said:

I think we finished 8th under laws so 6th is not really much better is it?

Any chance you & your cohorts could have a week off slagging CC.

Maybe call it an International break!

Or maybe get called up for the African Cup of Nations!

Anything, but please, please, shut the f**k up just for a few days!

23 hours ago, dazzler07 said:

Honestly reading some of the posts on here it makes me wonder how some of you have made it through the last 15 years without throwing yourselves under a bus! The negativity surrounding the team, manager and new signings are beyond rediculous and don't get me wrong the majority of fans are very level headed but some of you should man up or shut up.

A little bit of success as gone to a lot of your heads and it appears some feel we should be turning every team over week in week out.... well unfortunately there isn't a single team in this divison the that is capable of doing that especially not Wednesday! 

So let's put our big girl pants on and hope for some more decent signings and Wednesday pushing on!

Peace out.

As a BORO fan your not alone. It seems nowadays that football is stressful for fans. It shouldn't be but is. For me 15 years ago when we spent big etc I lived for football but now aged 43 don't take it to heart as much, still hurts but an hour later all forgotten. My first game in 1986 I can't remember giving a throw win lose or draw. Nowadays fans whinge about what there clubs are spending even, why. 

Opinions it's all about. Good luck for this season. 

15 years?? I have been going to games at Hillsborough since 1955 so that's 61 years and counting. Doesn't mean that when you have just spent 2 hours getting bored with some tedious football, you should pretend it was great! The match against Wolves was dire and actually nothing to do with the score. I remember well matches where the score has been 0-0 but the football has been tremendous and exciting and both teams have finished to an enthusiastic reception.. Last season was far better, whatever the position in the league.

22 hours ago, Rogers said:

Don't you think that other teams are better or have improved this year also? Teams are spending 12m on one player alone, why should we be better this year cos we've spent 12m on the squad? 

Aren't we in a better position this year than last? In terms of squad depth and league position? Is that not an improvement? 

Brighton have and I thought we'd be just behind them having spent more.  We are in a similar position to last season which is ok.  What I don't like is we are not as good to watch.  

6 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Any chance you & your cohorts could have a week off slagging CC.

Maybe call it an International break!

Or maybe get called up for the African Cup of Nations!

Anything, but please, please, shut the f**k up just for a few days!

It's called having an opinion.  I've paid my money for years so think I'm entitled to one.   Fans who ask questions are usually more passionate about their club than people like you. 

On 06/01/2017 at 20:21, dazzler07 said:

Honestly reading some of the posts on here it makes me wonder how some of you have made it through the last 15 years without throwing yourselves under a bus! The negativity surrounding the team, manager and new signings are beyond rediculous and don't get me wrong the majority of fans are very level headed but some of you should man up or shut up.

A little bit of success as gone to a lot of your heads and it appears some feel we should be turning every team over week in week out.... well unfortunately there isn't a single team in this divison the that is capable of doing that especially not Wednesday! 

So let's put our big girl pants on and hope for some more decent signings and Wednesday pushing on!

Peace out.

I'll tell you how most of us have survived - and by the way, I totally agree with your post - by not having to deal with social media garbage, keyboard warriors and people who just moan for the hell of it, in the first 5 years or so (2000 - 2005). That grounded most of us.

Nowadays, it's #playgeorgehirst, a YouTube video moaning about something positive or the usual suspects on here, wanting to have their voices heard - again! Everyone is entitled to their opinion - that's what makes OT a great site - but there are so many moaning tw@ts on here that after a loss, I avoid logging in for two days to let the lunatics take over the asylum.

There are so many people who just follow the pack, without giving a seconds thought to a counter argument and whether or not there is a better angle. So many linear thinkers who just don't think broader than the information put in front of them.

But they are entitled to a voice. And I am entitled to ignore them. And I do.

12 hours ago, whyte_owl said:

It's called having an opinion.  I've paid my money for years so think I'm entitled to one.   Fans who ask questions are usually more passionate about their club than people like you. 

Opinions normally cover a range of subjects..

My point is that there are certain people on here who's every post meanders down a certain path to always finish with the inevitable hatchet job on their chosen target (usually CC).

A good proportion of these didn't agree with CCs appointment in the first place and their only 'opinion' revolves around then justifying their original stance.

The argument that you've paid your money so you have the automatic right to carry on a vendetta against the current manager is a complete recipe for disaster.

You clearly don't like CC, others still have an agenda against FF, and a new agenda is building against Adam Reach.

We are getting to the point that the majority of posts on Owlstalk are being hijacked by certain groups who have paid their money (probably debatable in some cases) so therefore have the absolute right to be permanently negative.

This then leads to the scenario involving the moron who abused FF on Twitter. How long before CC gets the same treatment.

Continued and absolute negativity breeds more negativity like an out of control virus and is always a corrosive influence.

As for fans that you laughingly describe as 'Asking questions', being more passionate. Someone shouting at Adam Reach to "get off the pitch you useless c**t", could I suppose be described as 'passionate', although hardly helping the cause.

Amazing the fans who show their support in a constructive way are negatively described as 'Clappers'.

Empty vessels make the most noise. Very apt and very true.

The moaners have got a point tho, the none-moaners like to show the fact we are 6th in the table with more points than last season, thus we are better than last season. Maybe we are maybe we are not. But whatever side of the fence you are on; we are on course for a GD of 8. No team in any league have ever been promoted with a number that low.

Perhaps this year it could change but I doubt it.

Having said that, if we were promoted in second place, losing out to the champions on a GD 60 to our GD 59....some would still moan

2 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Opinions normally cover a range of subjects..

My point is that there are certain people on here who's every post meanders down a certain path to always finish with the inevitable hatchet job on their chosen target (usually CC).

A good proportion of these didn't agree with CCs appointment in the first place and their only 'opinion' revolves around then justifying their original stance.

The argument that you've paid your money so you have the automatic right to carry on a vendetta against the current manager is a complete recipe for disaster.

You clearly don't like CC, others still have an agenda against FF, and a new agenda is building against Adam Reach.

We are getting to the point that the majority of posts on Owlstalk are being hijacked by certain groups who have paid their money (probably debatable in some cases) so therefore have the absolute right to be permanently negative.

This then leads to the scenario involving the moron who abused FF on Twitter. How long before CC gets the same treatment.

Continued and absolute negativity breeds more negativity like an out of control virus and is always a corrosive influence.

As for fans that you laughingly describe as 'Asking questions', being more passionate. Someone shouting at Adam Reach to "get off the pitch you useless c**t", could I suppose be described as 'passionate', although hardly helping the cause.

Amazing the fans who show their support in a constructive way are negatively described as 'Clappers'.

Empty vessels make the most noise. Very apt and very true.

'Agenda'

The word of the Internet generation.

As if any of us sad f00kers that frequent this site have an agenda.

FFS!

Its not a bloody office meeting.