Keiran Lee replacement

I think the last two games have shown to some extent what Lee does for the team.

Carlos has said he runs further than anybody else in this League and some body said on here a couple of weeks ago that he made the most tackles this season in the Championship.

His job is to get around the pitch and anticipate where the ball is going to go. In an u 10's he would be accused of chasing the ball but that's what he does. Covers for others , wins the ball back and intercepts passes. He also gets forward into the box , the only midfielder we have who joins up with the strikers.

At Preston and yesterday we were woeful at winning the ball back and picking up the second ball. Hence we struggled to get forward at all. At Preston Fletcher was so isolated second half he might as well have come and sat in the away end.

This comes at a price of course. Because he is all over the place he is often not in the middle when he needs to be which is why we play with a wide midfielder dropping in to cover. Without this at Newcastle we looked more balanced because everybody held their positions

Just now, Ronnie Starling said:

FFS how many players do we have that could have played in his place. If the manager picks him then as far as I am concerned he ain't injured.

What I am saying is that his decline in form has coincided with a hip injury.

Carlos has tried to persist with him becuase for him, Lee is the embodiment of plan A.

Without him his style won't be implemented.

It's the reason why our movement has been crap for the last month or so.

Guest Kameron
41 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Seems the anti Lee brigade have hijacked this thread.

Shame he is being judged on his performances when injured.

There are 4 years of outstanding performances that could be cited, but use of evidence is selective when there is an agenda there.

There is no agenda, to have a realistic chance of promotion key positions need a higher quality of player, finishing 6th each season will not get us promoted, it gives us a chance in the lottery of the playoffs but as soon as we come up against a big strong side that parks the bus we have no answers.  If we want promotion we have to constantly improve, that's not an agenda it's ambition.  I loved Semedo in league 1 but can't believe he got a new contact, it's that mentality that's holding us back, there's no room for sentiment, we're supposedly not skint anymore so WTF is going on, who is making these crazy decisions?

Without Lee, we have no midfielder willing to break the lines.

At present, we are a side lacking any penetration, and playing too deep to be able to press high up the field effectively. When Lee plays (injury free), he breaks lines, he presses high up the field, and as a result, drags the rest of the side with us.

Whether you rate what he does when he gets on the ball, is another matter. Off the ball, he is Wednesday's most important player. And if he's to miss out for the rest of the season, we have to replace him, because there's nobody else in the squad, who offers those attributes.

Either we replace him, and to be honest, high energetic midfielders aren't too difficult to find ( for example, in our last two games, Daniel Johnson at Preston & Dave Edwards at Wolves both are similar to Lee in the way they play), OR, we change the way we play, which would mean a change in formation and set up.

If Carlos chooses to go with what he's got in midfield, which leaves him Hutchinson, Bannan, Jones & Abdi (ha!) to choose from, then we simply have to go to a 4-2-3-1 (or 4-2-4) formation. Allow those static midfielders, to hold their position in the centre of the pitch, and give four players in front of them licence to roam, be creative & take the risks, the two midfielders won't. 

For me, most supporters said it during the summer, but we were crying out for physical box-to-box midfielder, and we still are. Someone able to do what Lee does, but with a presence and an ability to physically stand up to opponents. If there's someone available who matches that, then I'd go out and get them. Off the top of my head, Lansbury is the obvious one who fits that mould, but I think he's out of our league. Someone who might be worth the gamble would be Jackson Irvine at Burton. A traditional box-to-box midfielder who's over 6 feet, commanding in the air, is at a good age, and has scored six goals already in a pretty poor side. He'd be gettable at a decent price...and could prove to be a valuable asset if he performs for us.

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

As much as I like Hourihane, he's not really a replacement for Lee. You'd need someone who runs all day long.

Precisely. We have two players very similar to Hourihane already, in Bannan & Jones. He's very much a deep lying midfielder who pulls the strings from deep. In their performance at Hillsborough, it was Morsy who was the legs in midfield, and looked very impressive as well.

It's not a replacement for Lee, it is someone who can do the same job at least as good or better. We can then rotate them. Lee is a very effective player for us and we do miss him when he's not playing or when not 100% in matches.

4 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Precisely. We have two players very similar to Hourihane already, in Bannan & Jones. He's very much a deep lying midfielder who pulls the strings from deep. In their performance at Hillsborough, it was Morsy who was the legs in midfield, and looked very impressive as well.

Really?

'cause those heatmaps make it look like he goes all over the shot... 

Hourihane heatmap.png

13 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Yeah I was thinking of Morsy but I think he's just signing for them from Wigan 

5 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

FFS how many players do we have that could have played in his place. If the manager picks him then as far as I am concerned he ain't injured.

he is injured and has been for weeks so think your being a bit harsh on the lad, imo he's played well up to the end of September then his problem started

McManaman Abdi Hutch Reach 

That should be our midfield if Lee is out. Perfect opportunity for Abdi to have a good run of games. 

Hopefully Matias is back soon see if he can push Reach.

with that midfield and a front two of Joao and Forestieri we should score goals.

10 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

McManaman Abdi Hutch Reach 

That should be our midfield if Lee is out. Perfect opportunity for Abdi to have a good run of games. 

Hopefully Matias is back soon see if he can push Reach.

with that midfield and a front two of Joao and Forestieri we should score goals.

We've signed another player called Joao? You can't be chatting about the old Joao, he hasn't scored any goals in his last 24 Championship appearances don't ya know. I'm glad we've gone out and bought another Joao that can come in and show him how it's done though. lol

To be honest it might have been worth taking a punt with Joey Barton while he was free, tough tackling, wears his heart on his sleeve, comfortable on the ball and did a job at burnley last season, need a bully in midfield really, can't seem to get round the teams with more physical players i.e preston..

But with FFP, might be worth giving Mcgugan a shout or Abdi, Bannan just seems a shadow of last season.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Lee is a quality player but if we can get better, I'd be happy to do it.  What we need is a quality right back and someone similar to Forestieri because we have no creativity when Nando is out or not at his best.