Keiran Lee replacement

2 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Lee isn't as good as some seem to think. I know he has chipped in with odd goal here and there but it's a position where we need much better. The example showed by Hutch when he drove the team forward in the first half passed to Lee in the box who couldn't play a first time pass back and was caught in possession.

Lee is to my mind the best player we have and should certainly be in at least the top 4 of anyone's  I'd say.

You can't use one example of a misplaced pass to form a view on a player.

7 minutes ago, whyte_owl said:

Exceptional?   He's everything that's wrong with this team.  We end up playing 2 better footballers out of position in Reach and Bannan.

The midfield at Newcastle was the best I've seen all season.  

He's usually everything that's good about the team....committed, skilful, intelligent, attacking instincts. That's not to say if we can find better we shouldn't drop him - we're an upper third Championship team so there's plenty of room for improvement. I was hoping Abdi was the man.  

1 minute ago, ka58 said:

Lee is to my mind the best player we have and should certainly be in at least the top 4 of anyone's  I'd say.

What in your mind makes him better than Hutch, who is actually our best player?

Just now, whyte_owl said:

I'd say that Hutch and Lee should be our midfield two and drop Bannan. It may mean we play a little differently which isn't a bad thing right now. I can't think of a two better players with energy to drive our team forwards.

Bannan & Lee just get overwhelmed when they play together. they lack the physic to stamp their authority on games. IMO Bannan should play deeper, but Hutch is now in that position because CC doesn't trust his back four. 

Just now, Animis said:

Bannan & Lee just get overwhelmed when they play together. they lack the physic to stamp their authority on games. IMO Bannan should play deeper, but Hutch is now in that position because CC doesn't trust his back four. 

I'd say it's more to do with question marks over the full backs than the CBs that Hutchinson is now playing deeper in midfield.

8 minutes ago, whyte_owl said:

Its all about opinions as I said. I would also have Hutchison in the top 4 I mentioned along with lees and forestieri. 

Lee keeps the ball superbly, covers a massive amount of ground and is able to score now and again. 

We should go for Lansbury.

Hutchinson and Lansbury would be immense alongside one another. Could have pacy wingers as well if we brought in Sako or play one of our other midfielders alongside them both in a solid but attacking 4-3-3. We should've went for a Guedioura or Diame type in the summer and brought in some pace. Lansbury is about as ideal a fit alongside Hutchinson that's available as is Sako for the pacy winger but need a pacy striker or someone that can finish upfront too. A Tammy Abraham type would be ideal.

Despite making a mess of the summer window and despite losing our attacking threat from last season, we're still solid, hard to beat and doing slightly better than last season.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

13 minutes ago, ka58 said:

It seems we can't use examples to point out the weaknesses of Lee even though that was being used to highlight a strength of Hutch that Lee doesn't have. Lee is nowhere near our best player though.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

It seems we can't use examples to point out the weaknesses of Lee even though that was being used to highlight a strength of Hutch that Lee doesn't have. Lee is nowhere near our best player though.

I don't really get what you mean but the example the earlier poster gave was of a misplaced pass by lee when that is very much a rarity.

his retention of the ball is generally excellent. 

2 minutes ago, ka58 said:

I don't really get what you mean but the example the earlier poster gave was of a misplaced pass by lee when that is very much a rarity.

his retention of the ball is generally excellent. 

His decision making is poor at times. How many times has he got into the box and just needed to pull the trigger when instead he has looked for a pass instead?

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

His decision making is poor at times. How many times has he got into the box and just needed to pull the trigger when instead he has looked for a pass instead?

Granted but he's also stuck a few in as well. 

Feel people's views on Lee have been skewed by the poor performance he had today. The injury seemed to be really hampering his mobility. When fully fit, which hasn't been for a while, he often carries the team and is centre to lots of the link up play. 

Of course we could buy another combative midfielder to play alongside hutch and invest in some pacy wingers but who honestly sees Carlos going down this route? 

1 minute ago, MightyOwl said:

Feel people's views on Lee have been skewed by the poor performance he had today. The injury seemed to be really hampering his mobility. When fully fit, which hasn't been for a while, he often carries the team and is centre to lots of the link up play. 

Of course we could buy another combative midfielder to play alongside hutch and invest in some pacy wingers but who honestly sees Carlos going down this route? 

Exactly.

Stupid to judge him on performances where he has been carrying an injury.

He's normally My Consistent. Everyone knows that...Well, nearly everyone.

Guest Kameron
1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Exactly.

Stupid to judge him on performances where he has been carrying an injury.

He's normally My Consistent. Everyone knows that...Well, nearly everyone.

I'll give you that, he's certainly consistent, consistently average.