S_W_F_C

Abdi

Rate this topic

124 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, scram said:

He's got to go - simple as

CC's utterly shambolic mismanagement of on of this divisions most gifted players is doing neither us or the player any good

Get what we can for him and move on

I know Brighton and Fulham wanted him when he signed for us and I know Jokanovic is a massive fan of his - so hopefully we can recoup some decent money for him

But against that our handling of him will have undoubtedly diminished his value considerably imo

Such a bizarre situation. 

Even with Lee out injured and Bannan not exactly pulling up any trees, he still can't get a look in.

I agree that Abdi needs to get a run of at least 3 games to get up to speed (after he recovers from this new injury), we might suffer initially during this period but it would be for the overall good IMO. If we want to be promoted this season, Abdi needs to play a pivotal role.

I wonder if he had some kind of injury we didn't pick up. I also wonder whether a year playing out wide for Watford against premier league players may have knocked his confidence. Either way he's looked more like Kenny Lunt than the Abdi I saw playing slick one touch football for Watford.

I do think CC has a bad habit of writing players off though. There's no way players like Mcgugan couldn't be of use in our current situation.

Edited by Bluesteel

7 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I wonder if he had some kind of injury we didn't pick up. I also wonder whether a year playing out wide for Watford against premier league players may have knocked his confidence. 

I doubt it

I can't see why acquitting himself well in the premier league - even out of position - would knock his confidence

Especially being as he was often keeping very gifted players out if the team - but then, he's an excellent footballer and all his coaches have recognised that and utilised him

Apart from Carlos that is...

1 minute ago, scram said:

I doubt it

I can't see why acquitting himself well in the premier league - even out of position - would knock his confidence

Especially being as he was often keeping very gifted players out if the team - but then, he's an excellent footballer and all his coaches have recognised that and utilised him

He did say he wasn't happy playing there and I read a few bits and pieces that suggested he put a shift in out wide but didn't really get on the ball as much as he had previously. But you'll have seen more of him last season than I did.

2 minutes ago, scram said:

I doubt it

you can't blame carlos if he hasn't settled in

It's a totally bizarre situation. He came here and said he preferred to play No 8 or No 10 after being frustrated playing wide for Watford.

So how does he start his career for us? Playing wide and it's been one disaster after another since.

Its beginning to feel unretrievable which is a very sad situation.

14 minutes ago, nile said:

you can't blame carlos if he hasn't settled in

But you can blame him for misusing him - or not even using him at all

Im sorry but I totally blame CC for the Abdi debacle

Edited by scram

3 minutes ago, scram said:

But you can blame him for misusing him - or not even using him at all

Im sorry but I totally blame CC for the Abdi debacle

Problem is now Scram is where could we let him go to. Would we sell him to a play off rival?

If Brighton wanted him that might be for the best, they aren't a direct rival, they will be top 2 I'm sure of that.

We let him go to whoever wants him and will pay

If it strengthens a rival then unfortunately that's what has to happen and hopefully the funds we raise will help strengthen us with players who will actually get used

4 minutes ago, scram said:

If it strengthens a rival then unfortunately that's what has to happen and hopefully the funds we raise will help strengthen us with players who will actually get used

I really couldn't see us selling him to Derby or Reading or anyone else close to us in the table. That would increase the lunacy of it all.

28 minutes ago, scram said:

Sounds very unwise to me. 

No overly optimistic, but it does look like Carlos is trying to ease him back into the fold, with Abdi starting against Rovrum and being in the squad against Newcastle. Can see why he wouldn't risk starting him in that exact game. 

Blaming Carlos for the situation is fine, I do too, but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

Still hoping he'll come good. 

Here's to a better year for Abdi with us in 2017! 

1 hour ago, JaddyOwl said:

Have you been on middlewood road?

No. Why

I got laughed off football heaven for dearing to suggest that Carlos had handled the abdi situation in a rather weird and strange way ....we seemed to pull out all the stops to get him yet an out of form bannan and Lee was constantly undropable ...huge clanger by Carlos imo bcz had we got the best out of him I'm sure wed have a good few more points .

Not sure what the future holds for him now .

1 hour ago, scram said:

I doubt it

Really, Not saying he isn't or couldn't turn out to be a cracking player but before Watford he wasn't exactly pulling trees up.

Perhaps he just fitted at Watford.

Football is littered with stories like Abdi. Looks perfect but just never worked out.

Reminds me a bit of Andy Sinton

9 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Football is littered with stories like Abdi. Looks perfect but just never worked out.

Reminds me a bit of Andy Sinton

We played sinton though ...abdi just gets omitted even when there's a chance for him to come in ...it's bizarre.

1 minute ago, TaxiMark said:

We played sinton though ...abdi just gets omitted even when there's a chance for him to come in ...it's bizarre.

I think the issues with Abdi are now very deep rooted. He seems to be picking up niggling injuries, his confidence must be shot and Carlos obvious doesn't have any confidence in him.

Other than the exit door I just wonder where this is going to be honest. But what kind of hit do we take if we do get rid, it could be hefty.

11 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

I think the issues with Abdi are now very deep rooted. He seems to be picking up niggling injuries, his confidence must be shot and Carlos obvious doesn't have any confidence in him.

Other than the exit door I just wonder where this is going to be honest. But what kind of hit do we take if we do get rid, it could be hefty.

I still think he has a role to play or maybe I'm Clinging on to hope with that comment ..but he's a quality player and a player that I would've thought we built the team around but it not been the case.

I just hope he don't sell him to a rival and have him come back to bite us .

4 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

I still think he has a role to play or maybe I'm Clinging on to hope with that comment ..but he's a quality player and a player that I would've thought we built the team around but it not been the case.

I just hope he don't sell him to a rival and have him come back to bite us .

If we are to get rid either abroad or Scram has mentioned Brighton did want him in the summer (not sure they would now) would be for the best.

I don't see any team in the lower reaches of our league, who he could play for and not really harm us, having the money to buy him or pays his wages for a loan.

We have a problem on our hands, or you may prefer to call it a very expensive mistake.