Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

2 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Another point to add. Carlos tends to want players up to match sharpness, history tells you that.

Say he signed 31st Jan, spends most of Feb getting upto speed. That leaves us two full months of the season with him.

We pay 10m for him, don't go up and then find ourselves totally hamstrung next summer as a result. 

I actually pray pray to god he won't sign, genuinely mean that.

Winnall and Hooper are proven scorers at this level, let's improve the supply line.

But won't our current squad plus a match fit Rhodes have a great chance of promotion next year if we don't go up?

10 minutes ago, wednesdaywizard said:

"Biggest club to have ever been in this division" was the quote i took from their forum at the start of the season.

They're barmy.  Forest, City, Leeds, us, Newcastle, and prbably a few more are at least on a par.

and people say our fanbase is deluded.

Villa are traditionally a bigger than Forest, Man City, Leeds, Newcastle and us to be fair. You only have to look at their success, players (and fees), stadium and fan base to see that. But that doesn't get you out of the Championship.

Villa's problem is they are currently in a rut - spent a few seasons flirting with relegation after the then owner lost interest, eventually got relegated, and now seem to have a guy running the club that seems to know very little about football, doesn't appear to have a long term plan, and comes across as a bit of a loose cannon. This is why they are mid-table in the Championship and massive odds on at not getting out of it this season.

5 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Another point to add. Carlos tends to want players up to match sharpness, history tells you that.

Say he signed 31st Jan, spends most of Feb getting upto speed. That leaves us two full months of the season with him.

We pay 10m for him, don't go up and then find ourselves totally hamstrung next summer as a result. 

I actually pray pray to god he won't sign, genuinely mean that.

Winnall and Hooper are proven scorers at this level, let's improve the supply line.

The most important 2 months of the season though.

In all honesty, I'm not that bothered about signing him either. If we do great, but if not we have plenty of option's to call upon for the goals when needed.

Still think we need that box to box midfielder to add the creative spark we've missed over the past few weeks with kieran Lee's injury.

Guest Wonder Spaniel

Part of me says that we don't need Rhodes, with the strikers that we now have on our books. The goals scored column says that we could do with a proven scorer in this division, if available. Maybe Hooper will find fitness and form?  Maybe FF will kick on along with  Winnall? Whether we stick or twist, it will be a gamble. If we are to try and sign him, I would like to see it as a risk aversed loan, or if perminant, a smaller up front (£5M) and add on's only dependant on promotion. Suspect it will go down to deadline day.

16 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Villa are traditionally a bigger than Forest, Man City, Leeds, Newcastle and us to be fair. You only have to look at their success, players (and fees), stadium and fan base to see that.

Perhaps with their stature as very recently being a premier league club.  

Two or three seasons down in the champ and you are soon declassified though.

Edited by wednesdaywizard

2 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

It's surely an all in gamble if we sign Rhodes. I'd rather have 4 years at the top of this league continually in the chase than saying poo or bust this season.

Any team that gets a transfer embargo has one ambition - stay up. That's not for me 

You're right its a gamble but any signing is a gamble really , there's never no guarantee's that any signing will work out.

Also, I cannot believe for one minute that we would head toward a transfer embargo. DC just doesn't strike me as that kind of owner, especially after the work put into getting us into this position in the first place - play offs last season & now 6th /play offs this season ? He's improving most areas of the club on & off the pitch, no way he would get us into a position of an embargo surely ? I think due to our recent history some fans are (quote rightly) cautious but IMO there's just too much to lose for him to get anywhere near an embargo. 

57 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Couldn't hear the sound but Bruce just done a press conference and the comments suggest they have all but signed Hourihane BUT have ruled them selves out of signing Rhodes. 

Can anyone one confirm this was said?

This is the link

sorry have no sound so can't confirm. 

Yes more or less, they need to sell to buy now, is how I read it.

11 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Agree with a lot of that but how many business men have lost the plot the minute they get involved in football? Surely paying 10m for Rhodes is just that, no matter how much Carlos might want him.

People are in cloud cuckoo land if they think we aren't heading for an embargo.

That's said half of the division is.

If we do not go up this season or next season - we will be under embargo.  Same as Brighton, Newcastle, Villa and a fair few others.

That's why I don't get this "Oh we are improving every season aren't we lucky. Doesn't matter if some of our signings have been complete f4ck ups" attitude.

I am telling you, this is our moment, this is our chance.

This season or next season or the chance will have been and gone

1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

People are in cloud cuckoo land if they think we aren't heading for an embargo.

That's said half of the division is.

If we do not go up this season or next season - we will be under embargo.  Same as Brighton, Newcastle, Villa and a fair few others.

That's why I don't get this "Oh we are improving every season aren't we lucky. Doesn't matter if some of our signings have been complete f4ck ups" attitude.

I am telling you, this is our moment, this is our chance.

This season or next season or the chance will have been and gone.

IMHO our 'best chance' was last year 

I hope we do it but I also think it will get progressively harder to fend off the parachute clubs 

very surprised with the amount of negativity over rhodes.

proven strikers cost money, and lets be honest rhodes is certainly proven in this league, if you believe that chansiri will do what he promised and take us back to the prem, signing rhodes is a no brainer, taking into account the money we would get for promotion, wether it be this season, next or 3 seasons down the line, rhodes would only benefit us.

its the deadwood we need to ship out, something thats already started

5 minutes ago, steelowl said:

I hope we do it but I also think it will get progressively harder to fend off the parachute clubs 

This ^^^^^^^^^

Much harder this year but we're coping better than i expected we would.

Lets hope we can fight all the way to the Premiership where we belong!!

6 minutes ago, steelowl said:

Not so sure on that. Only Newcastle of last years relegated sides have done well.  The three that will come down next season will all struggle, and at least three of the current top six will be gone. I think next years championship will be easier than this years. Oh and the three coming up from the pub league will guarantee us 18 points for a kick off