Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

1 hour ago, swfc1983 said:

He didn't exactly set the world on fire did he, he scored a few goals but Middlesbrough were well placed for promotion before he signed. Middlesbroughs biggest signing influence wise was probably Gaston Ramirez. I can't argue with the fact he's not really had a fair crack at premier league level because he hasn't really, but the fact Middlesbrough now or indeed any other premier league club in the past have not seen him as a viable goal scoring option speaks volumes IMHO.

Due to the fact their manager didn't really want him last season I don't think he had a fair chance last year either , however,  I believe he scored 6 for them in is limited appearances and they eventually went up with a better goal difference of 1 so I reckon he contributed.

Edited by Corneliusreeve

I'd say we need him...

We have 3 goal scorers at the club,Ff;Hooper and hopefully Winnall...

Rest are garbage,never been goalscorers and never will be,Rhodes in significantly improves us up top,but he'll go to Villa as we won't pay 12m for him and that's what they are after.Shame because it could have been a MASSIVE signing..

Guest Copthorneowl

If we offer 9mill I think we are crackers. Apart from anything else he is not worth that money.  Boro paid a stupid price to Blackburn and we shouldn't validate their stupidity by following on with the same level of stupidity. Why are there apparently zero Prem clubs and only  one rich parachute clubs keen!!!

For us he should be a loan option only.  His wages are going to bring the problems back we had at the start of the season and I say that because I do not think he will have a major impact therefore his high wages will inflame. The facts are that if we play similar systems that we've been playing Aguero would find it tough let alone Rhodes please don't chuck money at this 

I'd be surprised if we do manage to sign him given the reported financials, but it would be a fantastic signing if we do.

Very good chance Middlesbrough wouldn't have gone up last season without him; his goals got them 8 extra points.

10 minutes ago, Corneliusreeve said:

Due to the fact their manager didn't really want him last season I don't think he had a fair chance last year either , however,  I believe he scored 6 for them in is limited appearances and they eventually went up with a better goal difference of 1 so I reckon he contributed.

Like you say all about opinions 

For the record it's not the player himself I'd be against, his goal scoring record in this division is second to none. It's the cost of the deal in fees and wages that I think would be way too high considering the forward options we already have. However it's Chansiri's club and money at the end of the day and if he wants him and signs him I'll be on board and hoping he can fire us to the promised land.

IF we have indeed offered that and I can't believe it I would pull the plug now - I want us still around in a couple of years not back to where we were in massive debt and looking for a minted saviour again 

It's ok some of you blindly saying get him signed, now splash the cash -we'll be minted if we go up (that's a big if) and I know it's not my money to be careful with but the expenditure on him alone given say a  10-11 milion fee and  a 3 yr deal at 30k pw (and it'll prob be more) would be ridiculous something like 15-16 million  it's madness 

a loan deal and we buy him if we go up ok, but to splash that amount is crazy surely?

2 hours ago, Semedo's ferret said:

I know I went poo or bust with my posts about him signing but with good reason.  We were very confident of doing a loan deal then and are still. It's definitely not a dead duck,  but how far we're willing to go is anyone's guess. 

Aren't you the ferret with the ITK posts about Rhodes which left you with egg all over your face. If your previous ITKness was wrong how can you expect to get away with...

We were very confident of doing a loan deal then and are still

I reckon you know as much about this situation as I do, which is a bit less than sweet f.a.

:columbo:

5 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

Like you say all about opinions 

For the record it's not the player himself I'd be against, his goal scoring record in this division is second to none. It's the cost of the deal in fees and wages that I think would be way too high considering the forward options we already have. However it's Chansiri's club and money at the end of the day and if he wants him and signs him I'll be on board and hoping he can fire us to the promised land.

I agree about the fee but he's only 26 so will have some resale value.

"Boro are stuck with him" - well obviously not! Certainly not in the way SWFC are stuck with good but unsought after players. Karanka didn't want him but by going up on goal difference he has repaid the club to the tune of 150 million. I bet they are all gutted at their situation! 

2.5 for Nugent 9 for Rhodes = Bamford and Gestede for free. Simples. 

Meanwhile Folk on here are happy to spend money on yet another midfielder to add to the 14 million quids worth of Reach, Jones and Abdi. Surely shome mishtake .....

1 minute ago, trevdi9 said:

tbh  fed up with the whole saga , if he comes he comes if he doesent he doesent , the signing of Winnal might be the better option  financially

Don't think there's any doubt that the Winnall signing is exactly that Trev but if we are bidding or offering for Rhodes its a massive show of intent from DC and states exactly where he wants us to go THIS SEASON. If Nuhiu/Jao move on & we have a selection from Hooper/FF/Winnall & Rhodes... well, that will do for me !

After 16 years of scraping the barrel, some fans are naturally cautious.

DC knows about FFP and it's limitations and has advisors who know about the regulations.

If we can do the deal, he will do. He won't leave us in the mire.

If some players need to go to finance it, then so be it. Let's stop being the bridesmaid and have a go at this. The strike force of Rhodes, Hooper, FF and Fletcher is a promotion esq strikeforce.

McMannaman on the wing with Hutch and Bannan in the middle. Hourihane could still come in. Lets tear this league a new one.UTO

5 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

After 16 years of scraping the barrel, some fans are naturally cautious.

DC knows about FFP and it's limitations and has advisors who know about the regulations.

If we can do the deal, he will do. He won't leave us in the mire.

If some players need to go to finance it, then so be it. Let's stop being the bridesmaid and have a go at this. The strike force of Rhodes, Hooper, FF and Fletcher is a promotion esq strikeforce.

McMannaman on the wing with Hutch and Bannan in the middle. Hourihane could still come in. Lets tear this league a new one.UTO

Winnall not Fletcher, never been prolific never will.

Cannot believe people are turning their nose up at Rhodes. My boss is a Middlesborough fan and he says the only reason he hasn't done better up there is due to them only playing 1 up top, which isn't playing to Rhodes strength

He would be an absolutely amazing signing for us. Imagine a strike force to chose from of...

Forestieri

Winnall

Rhodes

Fletcher

Hooper

4 minutes ago, smhouston said:

Cannot believe people are turning their nose up at Rhodes. My boss is a Middlesborough fan and he says the only reason he hasn't done better up there is due to them only playing 1 up top, which isn't playing to Rhodes strength

He would be an absolutely amazing signing for us. Imagine a strike force to chose from of...

Forestieri

Winnall

Rhodes

Fletcher

Hooper

Well, if that strikforce couldn't fire us to promotion we are in bother.

1 hour ago, londonowl said:

Legally speaking this may be true but wage structures are important in a club, ask Forestieri.

If your top earner is on 17k and you bring someone in on £35k, it's going to cost you a hell of a lot more than £35k a week.

Rhodes would be on £50K a week. This is why I have always doubted that we would get Rhodes. The ex-PL clubs not only have the advantage of parachute money, but also far more generous wage structures. This allows them to accommodate players like Rhodes quite easily. Leeds couldn't even match Wednesday for FF's wages, and Rhodes would absolutely dwarf the rest of the squad's wages. This is why Monk is doing so well. He's got an upper mid-table team to third. Frankly, Leeds should be more concerned about hanging onto Wood, bearing in mind his relatively low wages.

1 minute ago, Athelwulf said:

Rhodes would be on £50K a week. This is why I have always doubted that we would get Rhodes. The ex-PL clubs not only have the advantage of parachute money, but also far more generous wage structures. This allows them to accommodate players like Rhodes quite easily. Leeds couldn't even match Wednesday for FF's wages, and Rhodes would absolutely dwarf the rest of the squad's wages. This is why Monk is doing so well. He's got an upper mid-table team to third. Frankly, Leeds should be more concerned about hanging onto Wood, bearing in mind his relatively low wages.

They slapped a 15 mil price tag on wood so they must be expecting interest for him