Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

34 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

You don't buy goalscorers like Rhodes for overall play. You buy goalscorers for their proven consistency and goalscoring. We've already brought in quality but we will need to keep bringing in quality and players of Rhodes ilk in order to maintain a challenge and to get promoted, if we don't take the gamble others will.

Who will? 

1 hour ago, Jamie_W said:

FFF - Not an out and out striker, he's too good at charging around creating and winning balls back.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

But Forestieri is a proper striker, and still remains the one most likely to help us gate crash the play offs. 

Totally agree with Jamie on this. He really isn't a proper striker. In fact it's a waste of his real strengths and contribution to the side. 

I know some see see this as blasphemy or criticism, but it absolutely isn't. It's wanting to see week in week out one of our very best players in his best and most effective role...and that is not as a striker. One look at his (and the team's) very ordinary goal-count as a striker, and his (and the team's) extraordinary goal-count as a winger, makes this crystal clear. Imho of course.

36 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Totally agree with Jamie on this. He really isn't a proper striker. In fact it's a waste of his real strengths and contribution to the side. 

I know some see see this as blasphemy or criticism, but it absolutely isn't. It's wanting to see week in week out one of our very best players in his best and most effective role...and that is not as a striker. One look at his (and the team's) very ordinary goal-count as a striker, and his (and the team's) extraordinary goal-count as a winger, makes this crystal clear. Imho of course.

Don't you think that's not just a coincidence? Forestieri is that good, he's like our Messi, and could probably play in any of the attacking positions. However, Fletcher and Hooper also don't score goals, would the solution be to play them elsewhere? The problem is in the service, and as I've said, we already have the options to deal with that issue

Playing a big forward up front doesn't work to our overall strengths, we play decent football up until the final third where we just start to lump it up front and hope that we will get a knock on or it will be held up until others join the attack.   

We play better when we move forward as a unit with everyone comfortable on the ball.  Having players wiling to dart in to the area, peeling off defenders making defenders think as well as work.  Kick up  front most defenders nowadays are well versed in how to deal with the 'big man'.  Other words its to predictable.

Hopeful with the signing of this WBA lad, he will team up with Bannan and FF and make us less predictable when attacking. Would prefer to see Joao forward, once he's had another rocket up his arse.

26 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Don't you think that's not just a coincidence? Forestieri is that good, he's like our Messi, and could probably play in any of the attacking positions. However, Fletcher and Hooper also don't score goals, would the solution be to play them elsewhere? The problem is in the service, and as I've said, we already have the options to deal with that issue

Thought we'd put that myth to bed once and for all the other day.

How were we described?  'energetically inefficient', where it showed beyond argument, we create as many chances as the league leaders but only convert a fraction of them in comparison.

Agree about FF though.

37 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Thought we'd put that myth to bed once and for all the other day.

How were we described?  'energetically inefficient', where it showed beyond argument, we create as many chances as the league leaders but only convert a fraction of them in comparison.

Agree about FF though.

Wasn't overly convinced by those stats, or perhaps there wasn't enough detail. I've seen about 70% of our games this season and I can probably count on one hand, the amount of times any of our wingers have got in a decent cross. I get that they are not encouraged to go on the outside and their job is to give us the extra man in the middle of the park. Surely it would be better to have that extra man as a proper midfield man. More so, when all three of our striker prefer the ball into the channels.

15 minutes ago, JUNNY said:

Jordan Rhodes aint coming ITK...source.. Carlos Carvalhal... time to stop drinking guys and get a grip.. 

You have a grip already Junny ...

... on your own wee wee tail.

:duntmatter:

Where's this misconception that Hooper doesn't score goals, he has something like 18 goals in 39 starts. But yeah he doesn't score does he! 

It might be a coincidence if his low goal tally as a striker was a one-off, but he has never reached double figures in his career to date up front. As Carlos said, most of his goals last season came from wide.

Messi scores 40-60 goals per season. As a striker FF gets between 6-8.

I want to repeat, underline and post in bold....he is wonderful. Not as a striker though. Far more valuable to the team wide.

Just my view though. Carlos clearly doesn't agree with me does he?

2 minutes ago, JUNNY said:

Personal insults on a keyboard proves you aint got a tail

I know I must be a massive lady's front bottom.after all.

Banter...

... get a grip.

Oh wait a minute,  you already have ...

... of your own little winky!!!

lol

Edited by F. Spiksley
Im a massive foo foo apparently