Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

Guest Copthorneowl
19 minutes ago, Mac_77 said:

But could you see Rhodes not playing against Preston because he fears getting roughed up and losing his rag? 

Cant work the club around not upsetting FF

Carlos said he was injured that's good enough for me. Why would he lie about that. We have another game within 48 hours so surely he does not want to  risk him.

As for upsetting him they've already done that by payingFletcher nearly twice as much for half as much imput.

3 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I'm struggling to think of any PL young loanees who've fired teams to promotion from the championship. 

Exactly there aren't any.

Rhodes is a goal scorer, experienced and proven, goals change games, we don't score enough. If we can we should...it really is a no brainier

6 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Carlos said he was injured that's good enough for me. Why would he lie about that. We have another game within 48 hours so surely he does not want to  risk him.

As for upsetting him they've already done that by payingFletcher nearly twice as much for half as much imput.

Have intimate knowledge of the players' contracts do you? 

Fletcher: 21 appearances, 6 goals, 2 assists

Forestieri: 19 appearances, 6 goals, 3 assists

Wouldn't call that half the input either (Although I agree Forestieri is more important to us than Fletcher) 

7 minutes ago, Mac_77 said:

Missing the point mate.

We can't grow and improve as a team if every players wages/contracts are run past FF every time. He is good, don't get me wrong, but eventually better players on more money are going come in if we want to move upwards.

Of course we all want more quality, chucking money at it won't guarantee success. It would be financial suicide to blow money on Rhodes. You won't get anyone cheap in January, need to be savvy what has happened at Forest needs to be a lesson to us all. You were still doubting the veracity of CC though!

29 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Personally, Id bring in a Premier League youngster on loan, someone who offered something similar to what we lose if Forestieri isn't playing. Or maybe Teixeira on loan

If we have the money I'd rather it was spent on proven championship quality. Rhodes is proven at this level. 

We need to get Rhodes signed. It's worth meeting the £11M asking price. We lack cutting edge without FF.That was highlighted yesterday. Unfortunately teams know to put two men on him or wind him up and he's taken out of the equation.

To combine FF and Rhodes in the same side would be immense and if one isn't firing the other one will most likely be.

I genuinely can't see us getting promoted without Rhodes.He can score goals out of nowhere and that's what we need,it's so tight in the Championship that Rhodes turning a draw into a win or a defeat into a draw will gain us invaluable points come the end of the season.It will be that tight come May.

Guest Copthorneowl
5 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Have intimate knowledge of the players' contracts do you? 

Fletcher: 21 appearances, 6 goals, 2 assists

Forestieri: 19 appearances, 6 goals, 3 assists

Wouldn't call that half the input either (Although I agree Forestieri is more important to us than Fletcher) 

You're being selective in not including FFs contribution last year which was major in how we finished in the division.

As for contract knowledge my info comes the same as everybody else's from what we hear and read just the same yours. Please let us know how your opinions are fact and others are speculation.

5 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

Of course we all want more quality, chucking money at it won't guarantee success. It would be financial suicide to blow money on Rhodes. You won't get anyone cheap in January, need to be savvy what has happened at Forest needs to be a lesson to us all. You were still doubting the veracity of CC though!

We have tried to be savvy bringing in countless players half of whom pick up a decent wage for not much input.

Rhodes won't guarantee success but he is a player who give us options, take the pressure off FF and would be an asset to the club.

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

We had an enforced transfer embargo for years before Chansiri.Wouldnt need to spend any more with present squad and the additions which we had brought about FFP if we stayed in championship. Would we be able to sell under FFP. We already have a surplus 

Really?? 

So our squad needs. O further additions this year or next other then Rhodes. 

A few questions here. 

Who is out of contract at the end of the season? I honestly don't know but I'd expect some to leave or not be contracted.

How long can Loovens play without injury or without dropping off pace as he gets older. 

How do we insure that players with injury histories such as Hutch and Westy don't get injured any longer?

How do we coach our fullbacks to become defensive / attacking gods? 

If the answer to any of these are don't worry we have Jordan Rhodes now then I'm fearful for our future existence like a not too distant memory! 

7 minutes ago, shez owl said:

Exactly there aren't any.

Rhodes is a goal scorer, experienced and proven, goals change games, we don't score enough. If we can we should...it really is a no brainier

Spot on. Newcastle have Gayle 19 goals, Brighton have Murray 15 goals even Leeds have Woods on 11 goals. Fletcher has been a disappointment for me, Hooper has phases of scoring. I dont think Joao will ever score enough as for Nuhiu, just not good enough. Hope they sort a new contract for Forestieri as no one else in the same class. 

1 minute ago, Mac_77 said:

We have tried to be savvy bringing in countless players half of whom pick up a decent wage for not much input.

Rhodes won't guarantee success but he is a player who give us options, take the pressure off FF and would be an asset to the club.

I agree, but there has to be a value or financial view point taken with this. As well as considering if this major investment represents a short or long term fix. 

Can am I ask you a genuine question. Why isn't JR playing and scoring in the team that are the EPL bottom scorers at the moment? 

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I agree, but there has to be a value or financial view point taken with this. As well as considering if this major investment represents a short or long term fix. 

Can am I ask you a genuine question. Why isn't JR playing and scoring in the team that are the EPL bottom scorers at the moment? 

Just a point to add .

On talksport yesterday this point was raised by micky quinn I think and the consensus was that the manager didn't want him (JR) and therfore won't play him on principle .

Just now, Colin West's Quiff said:

Just a point to add .

On talksport yesterday this point was raised by micky quinn I think and the consensus was that the manager didn't want him (JR) and therfore won't play him on principle .

Sounds a bit odd though like our Abdi situation, if you had a player capable of improving your team and your chance of keeping a job would you leave him out. 

Not a dig st you by the way, thanks for passing on the info. 

I dont think hes capable of playing at that level unless there be a queue of teams from 12th down lining up to sign him. 

Rhodes for £11m or buy 3 good quality players to improve 3 other starting positions at about £4m each..

The problem with putting all your money on Rhodes is that he could get injured in the first game.

3 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Sounds a bit odd though like our Abdi situation, if you had a player capable of improving your team and your chance of keeping a job would you leave him out. 

Not a dig st you by the way, thanks for passing on the info. 

I dont think hes capable of playing at that level unless there be a queue of teams from 12th down lining up to sign him. 

Wasn't taken that way Phil. 

I thought the same with the abdi thing too .

They also said this might be why the manager walked out last season .because they signed him .

IF he does end up here which is by no means a given he might start feeling loved because he doesn't seam to be at the boro 

1 hour ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I'm struggling to think of any PL young loanees who've fired teams to promotion from the championship. 

Would Rhodes even get a place in our side? He'd be a useful, if expensive, option from the bench, but there's no way he would displace Foresteri

19 minutes ago, Mac_77 said:

Rhodes won't be coming unless there is a loan deal available. If Hooper is back and we can add more pace up front, then we will be fine. However find a striker with pace is what every other team wants.

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Would Rhodes even get a place in our side? He'd be a useful, if expensive, option from the bench, but there's no way he would displace Foresteri

I wasn't really relating that to Rhodes tbh, it was more of a general point. Signing young PL players with potential, doesn't usually give you the quality you need to get promoted.

If we were to sign Rhodes though, there's no way he'd be competing with FF for a place, he'd be playing alongside him.

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Am i missing something here.

Have we entered some sort of 2017 parallel universe where we would buy or loan THE most proven striker over the last 5 years at this level, leave him on the bench and then replace FF to give him a game????