Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

30 minutes ago, Animal said:

no one in the championship will spend that much on one player this time of year with the FFP because nobody is certain to go up so its not worth the risk. I'd love us to loan him and after watching Nuhiu last night just shows how much were crying out for another striker. 

Really? Middlesborough did exactly that last year and guess what happened to them!

Just saying like.

Guest everydays_wednesday

They have just found th paperwork under the fax machine for him to sign.....problem is it is from last January so we have missed out....!!

I would go all out for Rhodes, not £11 million but certainly up towards £8/£9 million.

I get the impression we are trying to get up on the cheap when the reality is you have to spend fairly big now to be in with a shot.

Rhodes would be a good long term investment, he's the right age and could possibly have good re-sale value. Look at McCormack

FFP aside we should be thinking about how we are going to stay in the premiership when we eventually get there, 75% of this squad won't cut it and a fair few are punching above their weight in a top 6 championship side.

Rhodes would love it here, he'd be worshipped, working with his old man and have very healthy competition in fletcher and hooper.

i can't believe the club are paying out £5/£15k a week to some players who are nowhere near the first team.

Going to upset a few but we are a 1 man team going forward with FF, teams are clicking on and winding him up and he's a marked man from the first minute.

No better proven option out there at the minute than Rhodes.

Edited by Mac_77

33 minutes ago, Mac_77 said:

I would go all out for Rhodes, not £11 million but certainly up towards £8/£9 million.

I get the impression we are trying to get up on the cheap when the reality is you have to spend fairly big now to be in with a shot.

Rhodes would be a good long term investment, he's the right age and could possibly have good re-sale value. Look at McCormack

FFP aside we should be thinking about how we are going to stay in the premiership when we eventually get there, 75% of this squad won't cut it and a fair few are punching above their weight in a top 6 side.

Rhodes would love it here, he'd be worshipped, working with his old man and have very healthy competition in fletcher and hooper.

i can't believe the club are paying out £5/£15k a week to some players who are nowhere near the first team.

Going to upset a few but we are a 1 man team going forward with FF, teams are clicking on and winding him up and he's a marked man from the first minute.

No better proven option out there at the minute than Rhodes.

If we have that sort of money to spend, yes let's spend it, but not on someone like Rhodes please

Guest Copthorneowl
11 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

I think the problem is not so much Rhodes' wages in isolation. Clearly Wednesday could afford to pay them, especially if they outed a player or too. The real problem would be Rhodes' wages compared to everyone else's. The ex-PL teams have the advantage that not only can they afford to pay Rhodes' wages, but they can afford to pay everybody else more than us too. At £60 thousand a week, Rhodes would be earning 50% more than anyone else at the club. We saw what happened when Fletcher was parachuted in on big wages, and how FF reacted to it. Rhodes' wages wouldn't dwarf Villa's squad's wages in the way that he would ours.

Exactly this is a very important point which most of our fan base simply ignore. As I've said previously he would be on obscene amount more than our best player.

1 minute ago, Copthorneowl said:

Exactly this is a very important point which most of our fan base simply ignore. As I've said previously he would be on obscene amount more than our best player.

But could you see Rhodes not playing against Preston because he fears getting roughed up and losing his rag? 

Cant work the club around not upsetting FF

33 minutes ago, Mac_77 said:

Who would you go for? 

Genuine question 

Personally, Id bring in a Premier League youngster on loan, someone who offered something similar to what we lose if Forestieri isn't playing. Or maybe Teixeira on loan

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Personally, Id bring in a Premier League youngster on loan, someone who offered something similar to what we lose if Forestieri isn't playing. Or maybe Teixeira on loan

Maybe, loans are short term. Abrahams done well but what sort of price would Bristol be looking at paying now he's proven he is decent at this level. £8 million (ish)

Rather we look long term.

would be nice to strike lucky with a mahrez type (cheap, foreign and Unknown) but it's not worked in past.

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Also no offence mate but remember Hallam Hope

15 minutes ago, Mac_77 said:

But could you see Rhodes not playing against Preston because he fears getting roughed up and losing his rag? 

Cant work the club around not upsetting FF

Ah so CC is a liar, despite the fact he told the media 100% injured and he said "I don't lie*????

Edited by Big Jack

10 minutes ago, ViolaOwls said:

FFP rules only kick in if you get promoted don't they? Then the fine is a fraction of what you get. Unless it's changed

No, if you don't get promoted then you get a transfer embargo. The embargo has been utterly shït for all clubs who've had one so far.

2 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

Ah so CC is a liar, despite the fact he told the media 100% injured and he said "I don't lie*????

Missing the point mate.

We can't grow and improve as a team if every players wages/contracts are run past FF every time. He is good, don't get me wrong, but eventually better players on more money are going come in if we want to move upwards.