Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

The old saying 'Never look a gift horse in the mouth', is never more true than in this situation re Rhodes.

All the other names banded about are not only basically off topic but are sheer conjecture and not really relevant.

Maybe if Rhodes wasn't available and someone of his stature but in another position was available, we may be talking about that person and position rather than Rhodes.

The fact is though, it is Rhodes who is available, his favourite ground is Hillsborough and his Dad works for us. 

He is there for the taking, others are not.

For the first time in our recent history we are in a position to move on him.

Let's not mess it up this time.

4 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Would you advocate signing him permanently for 11m?

Think i've made my feelings clear on Rhodes.

The finance side of things is for others to juggle with.

Everyone quotes FFP without really knowing all the true implications and i'm no exception and I also do not know the financial situation as to whether buying Rhodes is viable or not.

Sooner or later we are going to have to make that quantum leap in transfer fees, if it IS viable then i would say go for it, but like i said, I'm biased. 

Regardless how we would structure it, i would love to see him playing for us. 

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

I believe if we sign him and don't go up that's us under a transfer embargo.

If that happens you can completely forget promotion, for that reason im out.

I respect your opinion mate.

I think however one thing not in doubt is his ability. The viability of the thing is a different argument. Others seem to manage it though.

Guest mrbluesky
2 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

If it improves the squad it is never futile.

Today was today, bad day at the office against a side who had clearly done their homework.

There have been plenty of other games where we have created plenty and not taken them, where his instinct in front of goal would have been invaluable.

I can never understand the reluctance among the fan base to improve the squad.

"Hey Real Madrid fans we're looking to sign that Welsh fella, that Gareth Bale".

"Nah, we've already got Ronaldo we don't need anyone else, signing him would be futile".

"Ronaldo gets 25 plus goals a year, best saving our money".

Is it just us??? 

You misunderstand, we already have 3 Jordon Rhodes at the club

I think the problem is not so much Rhodes' wages in isolation. Clearly Wednesday could afford to pay them, especially if they outed a player or too. The real problem would be Rhodes' wages compared to everyone else's. The ex-PL teams have the advantage that not only can they afford to pay Rhodes' wages, but they can afford to pay everybody else more than us too. At £60 thousand a week, Rhodes would be earning 50% more than anyone else at the club. We saw what happened when Fletcher was parachuted in on big wages, and how FF reacted to it. Rhodes' wages wouldn't dwarf Villa's squad's wages in the way that he would ours.

Not read the full Fred but no way would I chuck 11 plus mill and mega high wages at Jordan Rhodes when they are players scoring for fun below us like Danny graham, Sam winnall and tammy Abrahams altho he's a loan from Chelsea. 

Edited by TaxiMark

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Replacing Forestieri with Rhodes, would hardly add to our creativity. Him and Fletcher would be the sort of partnership that would have been deemed good, 5 years ago. Now, it's a bit basic, there's a lot more quality in this league, and Forestieri gives us a place at the table

The two issues are separate. I'm not saying sell FF and replace with JR, but an earlier poster had said FF was irreplaceable when the truth is everyone is replaceable.

7 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

Not read the full Fred but no way would I chuck 11 plus mill and mega high wages at Jordan Rhodes when they are players scoring for fun below us like Danny graham, Sam winnall and tammy Abrahams altho he's a loan from Chelsea. 

I look forward to Danny Graham firing us to promotion!

no one in the championship will spend that much on one player this time of year with the FFP because nobody is certain to go up so its not worth the risk. I'd love us to loan him and after watching Nuhiu last night just shows how much were crying out for another striker.