Pubs at Reading

In honesty, no.

The ground is a fair distance from the station.

Probably best bet is the Three Guineas attached to the station then get a taxi/shuttle to the ground. Think we will be going there.

It says on the away ground guide that most city centre pubs have bouncers and ask for ID to prove you are local before letting you in. Hmmm. They sound a fun bunch.

2 minutes ago, ANDY said:

I'm on wednesdayite coach Kate so I presume it's straight to ground.   

Look like finding a Tesco and getting some tinnies and sit in park. 

Just like leicester all them years ago 

There's actually a 'fan park' of some sort near the ground I think. Maybe that might be best for you.

We might head there too if the station pub is rubbish.

Ha. The baby squad wasn't it?!

2 hours ago, Kate said:

In honesty, no.

The ground is a fair distance from the station.

Probably best bet is the Three Guineas attached to the station then get a taxi/shuttle to the ground. Think we will be going there.

It says on the away ground guide that most city centre pubs have bouncers and ask for ID to prove you are local before letting you in. Hmmm. They sound a fun bunch.

I've been told that its closed for a refit, had a look at the website and its closed till January http://www.three-guineas.co.uk/

- plenty of buses to ground which take about 15 minutes and cost £4

- The Nags Head pub in Reading (about 15 minute walk from train station) is fantastic, great atomsphere, shows sports and welcoming to any fan.  They do a private bus to ground and back for £4 - advantage is no queuing, straight out of pub or the ground and onto a bus.

- There's another pub in an area of Reading called Caversham where you can get a private bus too - never done that myself but heard it's quite good

- Cab too obviously but more expensive 

- Some walk but it's about a 30-40 minute walk - easy enough on a nice warm summers day but probably not on a cold December afternoon

Home fans and away fans have in the past felt a bit let down due to there being limited places to drink near the ground - with it being a more modern bowl it's out of town. However, the club have made some effort recently and made the best of a poor situation. Outside the East Stand (to the right of the away stand) is a series of local Bitter stands and lager, as well as food, plus tons of benches.  

This is away fan friendly - as is everywhere really - so if you fancy a beer go there if you're at the ground. 

3 hours ago, ANDY said:

I'm on wednesdayite coach @Kateso I presume it's straight to ground.   

Look like finding a Tesco and getting some tinnies and sit in park. 

Just like leicester all them years ago 

53 minutes ago, ANDY said:

Think i'll try one of the bitter/lager stands outside the ground

On my last few visits we have gone to the Premier/Holiday Inn bar (can't remember which) and it's a 10 minute walk (15 max) from the ground.  Although attached to this is another pub - both are away fan friendly.

If the coaches drop you off at the ground; walk down the hill and turn right.  Walk along the main road heading towards the M4, take the left at the first mini(ish) roundabout and the hotel/pub is down this road on your left.  The road you walk down has a number of office buildings on your left and a wasteland kind of car park on your right.

3 minutes ago, Sam779 said:

On my last few visits we have gone to the Premier/Holiday Inn bar (can't remember which) and it's a 10 minute walk (15 max) from the ground.  Although attached to this is another pub - both are away fan friendly.

If the coaches drop you off at the ground; walk down the hill and turn right.  Walk along the main road heading towards the M4, take the left at the first mini(ish) roundabout and the hotel/pub is down this road on your left.  The road you walk down has a number of office buildings on your left and a wasteland kind of car park on your right.

can you see it on here ?

Capture1.JPG

Been here a few times with the family being season ticket holders. Good few beer huts selling the local ale “old boy” outside the east stand, with a big screen up usually of the lunch time game, friendly atmosphere.

otherwise absolutely nothing within walking distance of the ground.

Closest proper pub is The World Tuned Upside Down and is just over a mile away, lets away fans in and is quite cheap from memory.

Dont know if it's a Reading thing but you form an orderly queue in this pub rather than being 10 deep at the bar.

image.png

Edited by owl-zat