Sheffield Wednesday striker Stevie May

22 hours ago, shandypants said:

I hate slagging players off, particularly if they're hard workers but May was rhubarb. He was a yard too slow with his pace, half a second too slow with his reaction and his anticipation was non-existent. He had a couple of good games but largely added nothing. I can't blame him for signing for us though. 

I agree but this could apply to a few signings.

SWFC + money in transfer window = WTF:

• Haha 1

On 17 November 2016 at 13:55, Bradshaw said:

You have to remember he was very well thought of across England.

He had the best goal scoring record in Scotland (better than hoopers)

And playing for a much worse team.

He came here full on confidence, looked good against Derby on his debut then went on to score a lovely goal against Middlesborough away and a great solo goal against Birmingham.

We then, as a team stopped playing attacking football and we we're lucky if we created 1 chance a game. He was also dumped on the right wing some games.

Also i think people forget he is a year younger than Lucas Joao, and he scored more goals in the league than him in his first season with us, in a far worse team with the same game time.

Let that sink in.

Obviously he got a terrible injury after a handful of games for Preston, and hes been out a year. 

Apparently he came back in a behind closed doors game last week and scored a hat trick. So good luck to him, I hope he comes back stronger and goes on to fulfill his potential.

After all it would have been easy for him to sit in our reserves and pick a paycheck up, see Bus, Dielna, Mcgugan etc...

At least he wanted to play every week and moved on.

Always liked him. 

I suppose there's a bit of truth in that, but I think that's the danger with players like him. As footballers, they are very limited, and if they're not scoring, they offer little else. Maybe we are seeing something similar now with our latest "goalscoring" aquisitions

I thought he looked decent tbh. Worked hard. 

I think a mix of confidence and injury problems has cost him but as said, he's still young and maybe he will be a half decent player at this level.

Not good enough for us anymore but not as bad as he was made out imo.

Probably should've scored 10 in his first season here. Seemed to go down hill after a good start, missed a chance at Leeds and missed some good chances later in the season when one on one. 

Having said that, compared to the likes of Hooper he has a lot to do. He seemed to struggle to strike a ball with any power and had a gait which made him look a bit flat footed. But he was a bit of a jock in the box which is always handy.

Reading through some of the comments on here..

Was i pissed for the entirety of the 2014/2015 season?

He was really, really poor for someone who was brought in as an out and out goalscorer. The amount of chances he missed where he should have scored.. Jesus I know it's been mentioned  but that Wolves game will stick long in my memory. For a little guy as well, he had next to no pace, and always looked completely out of his depth. Worse than Nuhiu. 

I never understand the criticism towards Gray and being negative too. I get that at home we weren't exactly pretty to watch that season, but we played some really good stuff and created a lot, we just didn't have the strikers to take advantage. Away from home it was probably my favourite season to date- had some reyt days out and played some really good stuff. Birmingham 0-2, Middlesbrough 2-3, Millwall 1-3, Wigan 0-1. Even Watford last game of the season was great, mainly because we got to wee wee on their party, even if we didn't deserve to be in the game after the first half lol

Gray made some really good signings for Wednesday considering the budget he was working under but his biggest error in the transfer market was signing Stevie May. Looking back it was a bit toe curling the big fanfare we gave him when he joined. That 60 second clip on youtube made him out to be a right superstar but was out depth with us.

1 hour ago, PolarNigel said:

He was really, really poor for someone who was brought in as an out and out goalscorer. The amount of chances he missed where he should have scored.. Jesus I know it's been mentioned  but that Wolves game will stick long in my memory. For a little guy as well, he had next to no pace, and always looked completely out of his depth. Worse than Nuhiu. 

I never understand the criticism towards Gray and being negative too. I get that at home we weren't exactly pretty to watch that season, but we played some really good stuff and created a lot, we just didn't have the strikers to take advantage. Away from home it was probably my favourite season to date- had some reyt days out and played some really good stuff. Birmingham 0-2, Middlesbrough 2-3, Millwall 1-3, Wigan 0-1. Even Watford last game of the season was great, mainly because we got to wee wee on their party, even if we didn't deserve to be in the game after the first half lol

Interesting that you've picked out three games that May scored in.

16 hours ago, Eightace said:

I thought he looked decent tbh. Worked hard. 

I think a mix of confidence and injury problems has cost him but as said, he's still young and maybe he will be a half decent player at this level.

Not good enough for us anymore but not as bad as he was made out imo.

He was crap and thats being nice 

On 14 November 2016 at 14:09, SiJ said:

He was so weak. 

I imagine a gust of wind blew him away and no one has seen him since. 

Hate to say it but Sam Winnall and May are similar- lots of running about and determination but nowt else. ( maybe a little unfair on Winnall and I hope he proves me wrong) 

13 hours ago, PolarNigel said:

Funnily enough may scored in 3 of the 4 games you mentioned.