Respect and thanks from Wales

Hello, I just had to sign up to say thank you the Owls fans who travelled to Cardiff on Wednesday and joined us in paying their respect to the tragic events of the Aberfan disaster. 

Those who travelled were impeccable throughout the minutes silence and are a credit to your club. 

The events of Friday 21st October 1966 will never be forgotten down here in Wales and the people of Aberfan lost a generation in an instant. They will never be forgotten. 

Thanks for making the effort and taking the time to register and comment Bluebirdccfc.

I'm sure the Cardiff fans would do the same if the tables were turned - at the end of the day, we're all reasonably normal people and football fans.  The events of 50 years ago in that village are too tragic for words, God knows how you pick yourself up after something like that.

Good luck for the rest of the season under Colin. 

Got a lot of respect for Cardiff fans after they had a collection of over £600 for the two Wednesday fans who died in a car crash on the way home from Coventry a few weeks before we played them.

For all the bad press Cardiff fans were receiving around that time this was a fantastic gesture and showed that all supporters of clubs with bad reputations like Cardiff, Leeds and Millwall shouldn't be tarred with the same brush (well maybe Leeds and Millwall l.o.l)

Wilko, we most certainly would have. I live just 3 miles from Aberfan and some relatives of mine were involved in the search and rescue that came thereafter. 

The community there will never ever get over what happened but are the nicest and strongest people I know.  

The Owls fans are some of the best in the country and have gone way up in our estimations in South Wales.  

Good luck for the the rest of the season, you have a very good team there and will be in the promotion shake up come May. 

Mick & Owl - Zat. Thanks for the kind words. I remember that collection very well. We are all normal, everyday people at the end of the day and there's much more to life. 

We've been saying for the last few days how classy the Owls fans were and I can tell you this, your club as gained an enormous amount of respect from the people of South Wales for that simple gesture on Wednesday night. There would have been a few of clubs that may have acted differently, and on reflection, you were the perfect opponent for such an important night here in Wales. 

Thanks again. 

We're no strangers to coal mining ourselves, or at least we weren't and we are sincere in our feelings about this.  Its good to hear that our fans aquitted themselves well in paying their respects, thanks for posting.

Edited by Tyto Alba

24 minutes ago, Tyto Alba said:

We're no strangers to coal mining ourselves, or at least we weren't and we are sincere in our feelings about this.  Its good to hear that our fans aquitted themselves well in paying their respects, thanks for posting.

Very well said Tyto.

Great post Bluebird.

And well done 1867 for reminding us of this terrible tragedy in a timely fashion.

Respect to all.

Well done all Wednesday fans there Wed night. And us that weren't there would have shown the same  respect I'm sure.

To be honest all other clubs would do the same.

As much as we don't like him you have a great championship manager in Warnock.

Made some cracking free transfers straight away. Wouldnt surprise me if he got you to the play - offs.

Maybe see you at Wembley.

Thanks Cardiff fans

Cheers Bluebird, nice gesture. Glad you felt the occasion was suitably honoured by our fans whose journey happened to coincide with an important night for you and many others. Well done to the Wednesday fans who were there.

Bluebird, I hope it even adds a little extra to know that there was a lot of talk about it on here – and elsewhere around Sheffield on the night as we listened from afar – among the fans who couldn't travel to the game, all of it suitably sombre and deeply respectful as far we've heard on Owlstalk.

May all of you who were touched by the tragedy continue to prosper and grow. Hats off to all of you, best wishes for peace and good fortune from here on.

Edited by Mr. Tom

Guest Deleted member

As Tyto has said many of us came from mining backgrounds and I think that helps to relate in some small way to what happened. 

It was very well observed by all. Good to see.

From a parent that could not comprehend losing my children my heart goes out to everyone that lost love ones in the Aberfan disaster. RIP to everyone that lost their lives on that horrific day 50 years ago.Respect & deepest sympathies to all the ones who's lives it shattered.