Square Pegs / Round Holes

So I was watching the full replay of the Cardiff game, and within the opening 2 minutes, this happened:

Reach.jpg

The white lines indicate the movement of the players over the next few seconds, red circle to show the ball at Reach's feet (it's obscured by his legs).

As you can see, Hooper is about to make a run that puts in him in a great position to shoot. It would have taken a relatively simple ball from Reach to put him through.

Had that been Forestieri, Abdi, Fletcher (basically anyone with some experience as a number 10) I have no doubt that Hooper's run would have received the pass it deserved and that it would have resulted in a shot on target. Reach elected to cut inside the retreating Cardiff player instead. His instincts are to run with the ball, to beat players with his feet, not to play killer through balls to unlock the defence from a central position.

I'm a huge fan of the way that Carlos has us playing, but I'm constantly baffled by his repeatedly playing people in unfamiliar or uncomfortable positions. The Cardiff game was no exception to this.

Reach.bmp

Edited by adifferentgame

Graphics brilliant, explanation plausible but well maybe, Reach might be thinking the defender has Hooper covered and/or Hooper might pull him away, allowing him to go for a shot at goal.  Or he could be thinking 101other different things.  

Isn't Reach's job to back up the attack?

I don't think Alan Shearer should be worrying just yet, but keep working at it.  

Graphics brilliant.

Guest wilyfox

Tbf in that photo neither FF or Hooper is advanced enough to get a run on their defender. Reach probably needed to retain the ball for a sec until one is on the shoulder. 

At the point where the pass would have been on to put Hooper through on goal, Reach had already cut inside. If he would have played it earlier Hooper would have been up against the defender. Reach retained the ball and got the pass out wide. For me he didn't do much wrong there.

1 hour ago, adifferentgame said:

So I was watching the full replay of the Cardiff game, and within the opening 2 minutes, this happened:

Reach.jpg

The white lines indicate the movement of the players over the next few seconds, red circle to show the ball at Reach's feet (it's obscured by his legs).

As you can see, Hooper is about to make a run that puts in him in a great position to shoot. It would have taken a relatively simple ball from Reach to put him through.

Had that been Forestieri, Abdi, Fletcher (basically anyone with some experience as a number 10) I have no doubt that Hooper's run would have received the pass it deserved and that it would have resulted in a shot on target. Reach elected to cut inside the retreating Cardiff player instead. His instincts are to run with the ball, to beat players with his feet, not to play killer through balls to unlock the defence from a central position.

I'm a huge fan of the way that Carlos has us playing, but I'm constantly baffled by his repeatedly playing people in unfamiliar or uncomfortable positions. The Cardiff game was no exception to this.

Reach.bmp

To be fair one of the first things he did on his debut was play a killer through ball to someone. So this is a daft comment

41 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Tbf in that photo neither FF or Hooper is advanced enough to get a run on their defender. Reach probably needed to retain the ball for a sec until one is on the shoulder. 

Hooper's in motion already and Reach ignored his run. If he plays a simple ball into Hooper's path, he's in the clear.

Perhaps I should make a gif to show the passage of play in full. Hooper's movement off the ball is usually brilliant, and this was no exception.

I'm not criticising Reach btw. Just pointing out that a player more familiar with that position would likely have put Hooper in. That's not Reach's fault.

7 minutes ago, ViolaOwls said:

Are you in a interview for sky sports?

lol

7 minutes ago, brentotter said:

To be fair one of the first things he did on his debut was play a killer through ball to someone. So this is a daft comment

That doesn't make it instinctive. One of the first things Nuhui did in a Wednesday shirt is score a belter. Doesn't make him a prolific goalscorer.

Its been the problem all season, however we have individuals who are, mostly, good enough to cope.  But IMO coping isn't enough and I feel its preventing us from getting the best of of the players, Bannan and Hooper prime examples.

It feels we playing to about 70% of what we can do..it frustrating but we seem to be picking up results - my concern is that it won't cut it against the top sides of when it potentially becomes really important.  

Time, injuries etc will tell and things may change but our squad is one of the best in the league and I dont think we aren't quite seeing what it can really do.

Football is a simple game and if it is kept that way, it tends to work out for the best.

4 hours ago, adifferentgame said:

Reach.jpg

The ball infront of Hooper is dangerously close to the green booted center back, I'd be worried about playing that as it could be picked off and with Lee steaming off up front we could get hit a man short on the counter.

Instead, by cutting inside the man tracking back, Reach should be able to beat him for pace (since he's going to be turning) and that leaves us with a 2v1, Reach and Lee vs the centerback at the top of the picture.

The full match isnt up on wednesdayWorld yet, so can't rewatch this sequence as you can, but going 2v1 with Lee seems the better (and safer) option to try from this situation.

its all about decision making in a split second, you can't get it right every time.

i would rather take the positives out of it and that's that we have 3 players in a dangerous position, we have plenty of decent new players, we are in the top 6 and we haven't hit top form yet, loads more to come from this team yet.