Goalkeeper Confidence.............

We have four keepers at the club, yet Westwood was preferred to start the game last night, despite having a back injury !! Apparently, he hobbled into training yesterday, though this obviously can't be verified at all. But what is an injured keeper doing starting the game ? Carlos was only saying the other day in an interview that he only wanted to play players against Cardiff that were 100% fit, yet here he is playing a Westwood who clearly wasn't 100% fit at all. So it makes me wonder as to the confidence levels he has in the other keepers. I know Wildsmith is out with an injury to a finger, but you still have  Kean and Dawson who could start games. I have aired my views on this matter before and i personally think that we should have signed a keeper to push Westwood for his place, but also as a back up for when his is injured. At the moment, Westwood's place in the side is guaranteed unless he isn't fit, which isn't an ideal state of affairs. If he is unfit, we have two very young and inexperienced keepers to replace him, because it seems that Kean is just there to make up the numbers, despite having more than 100 league games under his belt. So, it seems to me that Carlos isn't particularly confident in the other keepers that are available to play, if he is willing to push an unfit Westwood onto the field of play, totally contradicting his policy and thought process regarding not playing players who aren't 100% fit or rested for games.

Thoughts ?

10 minutes ago, Mick De Lyons said:

We have four keepers at the club, yet Westwood was preferred to start the game last night, despite having a back injury !! Apparently, he hobbled into training yesterday, though this obviously can't be verified at all. But what is an injured keeper doing starting the game ? Carlos was only saying the other day in an interview that he only wanted to play players against Cardiff that were 100% fit, yet here he is playing a Westwood who clearly wasn't 100% fit at all. So it makes me wonder as to the confidence levels he has in the other keepers. I know Wildsmith is out with an injury to a finger, but you still have  Kean and Dawson who could start games. I have aired my views on this matter before and i personally think that we should have signed a keeper to push Westwood for his place, but also as a back up for when his is injured. At the moment, Westwood's place in the side is guaranteed unless he isn't fit, which isn't an ideal state of affairs. If he is unfit, we have two very young and inexperienced keepers to replace him, because it seems that Kean is just there to make up the numbers, despite having more than 100 league games under his belt. So, it seems to me that Carlos isn't particularly confident in the other keepers that are available to play, if he is willing to push an unfit Westwood onto the field of play, totally contradicting his policy and thought process regarding not playing players who aren't 100% fit or rested for games.

Thoughts ?

But I just thought I'd post this crap anyway

9 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Initial thoughts.

Do we still use paragraphs in 2016?

I'm not taking an English exam and secondly, i wrote the original OP on a laptop, and if you view it on that format, the length of the paragraph is fine. 

Edited by Mick De Lyons

Yeah he clearly does not trust Dawson, who's inexperienced so you can understand that. As for Kean who knows perhaps he is not giving the required levels in training. Seems odd how he's been cast aside. We have Wildsmith to push Westwood. but he is unfortunately injured.

Just now, peacock1961 said:

is it a 60'' laptop?

Its quite simple actually. If you view any piece from a mobile, written on a laptop, the paragraph or patagraphs seem longer. Its not hard to grasp unless you don't want to. I didn't know this was a website for English teachers pontificating about grammar. I thought it was a Sheff Wed website where debate took place on all issues regarding Wednesday. Silly me....lol

Don't mind goalkeepers playing whilst carrying knocks (unless it's hand/ arm related) because the chance of aggravating that knock is pretty slim and won't really impact on their ability to perform. An outfield player, well that's a different story.

Westwood is our best goalkeeper, and with Wildsmith out with a hand injury (broken finger isn't it?), he is far superior to the 3rd and 4th choice lads - no disrespect to them; one is young (in terms of age and experience) and learning the trade and the other is a journeyman reserve goalkeeper and seemingly happy with that..

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Yeah he clearly does not trust Dawson, who's inexperienced so you can understand that. As for Kean who knows perhaps he is not giving the required levels in training. Seems odd how he's been cast aside. We have Wildsmith to push Westwood. but he is unfortunately injured.

He obviously believes that Dawson is too inexperienced. If Wildsmith was fit, he would have played him from the start, despite there not being much difference in the experience. Kean us a strange one. Has experience, but is effectively fourth choice.

8 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

is it a 60'' laptop?

Its quite simple actually. If you view any piece from a mobile, written on a laptop, the paragraph or patagraphs seem longer. Its not hard to grasp unless you don't want to. I didn't know this was a website for English teachers pontificating about grammar. I thought it was a Sheff Wed website where debate took place on all issues regarding Wednesday. Silly me....lol

3 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Don't mind goalkeepers playing whilst carrying knocks (unless it's hand/ arm related) because the chance of aggravating that knock is pretty slim and won't really impact on their ability to perform. An outfield player, well that's a different story.

Westwood is our best goalkeeper, and with Wildsmith out with a hand injury (broken finger isn't it?), he is far superior to the 3rd and 4th choice lads - no disrespect to them; one is young (in terms of age and experience) and learning the trade and the other is a journeyman reserve goalkeeper and seemingly happy with that..

You've got a point about the difference between an injury to an outfield player and a goalkeeper, but having said that, the injury was bad enough for him to come off inside 20 mins. My point is that if Wildsmith would have been fit, i'm sure he would have started, so it doesn't say much for Dawson, but in particular Kean, because at least Dawson can site his age and inexperience as to why he didn't start. Yeah, Wildsmith has an injury to his finger.

Just now, Mick De Lyons said:

You've got a point about the difference between an injury to an outfield player and a goalkeeper, but having said that, the injury was bad enough for him to come off inside 20 mins. My point is that if Wildsmith would have been fit, i'm sure he would have started, so it doesn't say much for Dawson, but in particular Kean, because at least Dawson can site his age and inexperience as to why he didn't start. Yeah, Wildsmith has an injury to his finger.

You will have to excuse my knowledge as I wasn't at the game and only saw the highlights, but it looked like Westwood took a knock before coming off. Would he have come off had he not taken the knock? Well, again from the highlights, he seemed to be moving well beforehand.

I don't think many managers would have 100% confidence in their 3rd and 4th choice goalkeepers TBH. Not many clubs have the luxury of having 4 goalkeepers to call up on who are at the standard to replace the number one 'keeper.

As for Wildsmith, he looks a couple of levels above Dawson at present, has big game experience under his belt, looks full of confidence when he plays, and is part of the England U21 set up. Compare that to Dawson, who I believe had only played one league game in the Football League before being called upon for us a couple of weeks ago.

Kean is a funny one, but I think he was simply brought in as a senior replacement for Price - who was third choice himself.

8 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

You will have to excuse my knowledge as I wasn't at the game and only saw the highlights, but it looked like Westwood took a knock before coming off. Would he have come off had he not taken the knock? Well, again from the highlights, he seemed to be moving well beforehand.

I don't think many managers would have 100% confidence in their 3rd and 4th choice goalkeepers TBH. Not many clubs have the luxury of having 4 goalkeepers to call up on who are at the standard to replace the number one 'keeper.

As for Wildsmith, he looks a couple of levels above Dawson at present, has big game experience under his belt, looks full of confidence when he plays, and is part of the England U21 set up. Compare that to Dawson, who I believe had only played one league game in the Football League before being called upon for us a couple of weeks ago.

Kean is a funny one, but I think he was simply brought in as a senior replacement for Price - who was third choice himself.

I'm not totally sure. How i understand it is that Westwood was " injured" or classed as injured before the game. Maybe he  did take a knock and was therefore taken off. I agree about the quality if keepers and yes Wildsmith is a few levels ahead if Dawson despite minimal game time. However, i would have liked to see a more able and experienced keeper to push Westwood, instead we have Kean, who doesn't seem to remotely be in Carlos' plans wity regard to the first team.

we must sign a far more experienced keeper on loan till January just cant see westwood playing every game ive seen him a number of times last season and this getting treatment and sometimes going off. there is no way dawson is ready just got no experience needs sending out on loan for experience ,if we want to guarantee top 6 we must have 2 class keepers,wildsmith could be that but is out for a few more weeks .

3 hours ago, Mick De Lyons said:

Thoughts ?

I agree...

Dunno...

Edited by slinger208b

37 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

we must sign a far more experienced keeper on loan till January just cant see westwood playing every game ive seen him a number of times last season and this getting treatment and sometimes going off. there is no way dawson is ready just got no experience needs sending out on loan for experience ,if we want to guarantee top 6 we must have 2 class keepers,wildsmith could be that but is out for a few more weeks .

I agree with this. Westwood is not only carrying injury niggles, he's also not being properly pushed for his place in the side.

1 hour ago, sweetsheri said:

Westwoods a puff 

Never known a keeper go off as much or get little knocks. Seems to be forever limping about

Good keeper though 

All keepers have gone soft. 

Back in the day the played with a broken neck and just got on with it.