King Of Thailand Tribute - Bit weird?

23 minutes ago, runningaround said:

Do hope vast majority abide by the respects, for Thai people the king there is highly highly regarded and seen as a father figure, not the divisive figure the monarchy can be seen here as at times. 2 minutes is nothing.

Funny that as the monarchy is loved everywhere else round the world except the leftie british haters living in erm.....britain

25 minutes ago, ViolaOwls said:

Well lets see if he respects our wish of blue and white strips next season?

After all SWFC is a religion to most of us:biggrin:, and Hillsborough is our church

He could argue that we do still play in blue and white stripes!

As for the tribute - we are owned by Thai folk and I'm sure Mr Chansiri has ambitions to get Wednesday's profile raised in Thailand as we progress, so would have expected it to be weird not doing anything.

Just now, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

He could argue that we do still play in blue and white stripes!

As for the tribute - we are owned by Thai folk and I'm sure Mr Chansiri has ambitions to get Wednesday's profile raised in Thailand as we progress, so would have expected it to be weird not doing anything.

Yeah I get your second point, but you can never argue that's a owls shirt

6 minutes ago, BarnOwl55 said:

Well, let's just settle for it being a 'first' at Hillsborough - at least I don't recall a previous 2 mins silence for the death of a foreign monarch!

I'm all for new experiences - they can be enriching!

:rolleyes:

I can't be certain but I think we had 2 mins silence after JFK got shot on the following day against Wolves

51 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

agreed. If people don't think it's weird I will ask them, did you ever think you would ever be in the situation where you were actively mourning the death of a king from a far away land that has no connection to you?

I never really think about myself in that many fictitious scenarios, or if a slightly different situation does actually occur then I don't judge it's weirdness according to whether I've thought about it before.

I must have been 9 or 10 years of age when I was first introduced to an alien culture in the form of a film entitled 'The King and I' starring Deborah Kerr, Yul Brynner.

In this film adaptation of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical, widowed Welsh mother Anna Loenowens (Deborah Kerr) becomes a governess and English tutor to the wives and many children of the stubborn King Mongkut of Siam (Yul Brynner). Anna and the king have a clash of personalities and culture as the English school maam works to teach the royal family about the English language, customs and etiquette, and rushes to prepare a party for a group of European diplomats who must change their opinions about the king.

It was my first impression that I gained that the world was not a homogeneous  place and that one had to adapt and compromise.

Former (Siam) Thailand, has come a long way in the two centuries in which the film was portrayed and progress has delivered one of her sons to our rescue, not King Chulalonkhorn famous as a prince in 'The King and I' but Dejphon Chansiri son of TUS.

We share his, and his families sadness at the loss of their Monarch and are honoured to share the moments of grief and remembrance at the forthcoming game.

Thailand.pngThe National Flag of Thailand Thai Grand Palace.png The Thai Grand Palace Golden Buddha.png The Golden Buddha.  

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
ommision

Guest BULGARIA
43 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Of course I would never break a mins silence as I would never want to draw attention to myself but think its cringeworthy if I am honest. Might stop in pub and get to ground 5 mins late on Saturday.

This.

8 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I must have been 9 or 10 years of age when I was first introduced to an alien culture in the form of a film entitled 'The King and I' starring Deborah Kerr, Yul Brynner.

In this film adaptation of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical, widowed Welsh mother Anna Loenowens (Deborah Kerr) becomes a governess and English tutor to the wives and many children of the stubborn King Mongkut of Siam (Yul Brynner). Anna and the king have a clash of personalities and culture as the English school maam works to teach the royal family about the English language, customs and etiquette, and rushes to prepare a party for a group of European diplomats who must change their opinions about the king.

It was my first impression that I gained that the world was not a homogeneous  place and that one had to adapt and compromise.

Former (Siam) Thailand, has come a long way in the two centuries in which the film was portrayed and progress has delivered one of her sons to our rescue, not King Chulalonkhorn famous as a prince in 'The King and I' but Dejphon Chansiri son of TUS.

We share his, and his families sadness at the loss of their Monarch and are honoured to share the moments of grief and remembrance at the forthcoming game.

Thailand.pngThe National Flag of Thailand Thai Grand Palace.png The Thai Grand Palace Golden Buddha.png The Golden Buddha.  

cool story bro...

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

People would still come without the Royals. Versailles isn't exactly unpopular.

Would they though? Versailles is different as it's a huge historical place in the past 100-200 years.

There's all them commemorate plates that they sell too to Americans usually