Almen Abdi to right back

6 hours ago, doubleo said:

The competition for a midfield shirt is frightening. When Abdi's opportunity comes, and I'm sure it will with injuries, suspensions and our terrific run in the Cup, he's got to grab it. 

It is, on paper, but for all this creativity we have in the squad, we don't score many goals? Is that because those players aren't doing their job, or are the strikers not prolific enough?

58 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It is, on paper, but for all this creativity we have in the squad, we don't score many goals? Is that because those players aren't doing their job, or are the strikers not prolific enough?

we dont concede many either ,,,,,i put it down to being defensively attacking , sounds daft but we keep the the ball without creating to much but while we have it the other buggers cant score .

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

its not like our strikers miss lots of easy shots so probably the former

3 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

I would put Abdi in the hole play Dave Jones as the holding player and slot Reach in at LM and Ross Wallace/Bannan on the right, but would play more of a diamond formation, allowing the Full Backs to bomb on.

the hole .....is that the hole paul maclaren used to disappear down back in the noughties 

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

well that is silly to suggest you wouldn't play him even if he's better than the others. Its October, a while before we can get a better fb

Is it? Did we buy him to play RB? What does that do for Hunt and Palmer if we drop them for a midfielder? Does he want to play RB? Will he went to stay with us if we make him play where he doesn't want to play? Will we get the best out of him doing that?

Guest Kagoshimaowl
10 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

If their best position is already taken they can't play there can they?

Doesnt mean you play someone out of position.  Lee is the best midfielder at the club.  That means he plays cm.  I don't whether Abdi cost 10million or a packet of walkers, he stays on the bench until injury or loss of form.  It's his job to prove how good he is when he comes off the bench.

23 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Is it? Did we buy him to play RB? What does that do for Hunt and Palmer if we drop them for a midfielder? Does he want to play RB? Will he went to stay with us if we make him play where he doesn't want to play? Will we get the best out of him doing that?

Abdi has played full back at a much higher level than those two and I wouldn't give a damn if it hurt their feelings anyway. Best team should be selected.

15 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Doesnt mean you play someone out of position.  Lee is the best midfielder at the club.  That means he plays cm.  I don't whether Abdi cost 10million or a packet of walkers, he stays on the bench until injury or loss of form.  It's his job to prove how good he is when he comes off the bench.

He can move from RB to CM if needed in a match still. I don't think your argument is logical, don't you want the strongest team out there? If Abdi is the best RB, and it's a choice between him on the bench or at RB, why on earth would he not be selected?

Look at Liverpool, Milner isn't usually a left back, but he's the best player for left back there right now, so he plays there. If it's good enough for Klopp and Liverpool it's good enough for us.

14 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He can move from RB to CM if needed in a match still. I don't think your argument is logical, don't you want the strongest team out there? If Abdi is the best RB, and it's a choice between him on the bench or at RB, why on earth would he not be selected?

Look at Liverpool, Milner isn't usually a left back, but he's the best player for left back there right now, so he plays there. If it's good enough for Klopp and Liverpool it's good enough for us.

klopp's no fool and thinks milner is his best left back so plays him there ........i dont think carlos is a fool either and if he thought  abdi was his best right back he'd play him there but he doesnt does he ,so whats that  telling us?..... .

22 minutes ago, torryowl said:

klopp's no fool and thinks milner is his best left back so plays him there ........i dont think carlos is a fool either and if he thought  abdi was his best right back he'd play him there but he doesnt does he ,so whats that  telling us?..... .

that he should listen to ellis? lol

13 hours ago, Andoverowl said:

So why did we sign him then?

In light of how we are set up, play and the way he has been used so far, that has started to become an increasingly pertinent question..also, who signed him..was it CC or did it come from higher up?

Bottom line, it hasn't worked so far and its a hefty chunk of money sitting on the sidelines.  

Either one party of the other will have to make a decision on how best to move on at some stage.

Also people suggesting him for RB is ludicrous, another position he is not cut out for...he is a CM who helped Watford get promoted - next people will suggest he plays in goal.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

40 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

In light of how we are set up, play and the way he has been used so far, that has started to become an increasingly pertinent question..also, who signed him..was it CC or did it come from higher up?

Bottom line, it hasn't worked so far and its a hefty chunk of money sitting on the sidelines.  

Either one party of the other will have to make a decision on how best to move on at some stage.

Also people suggesting him for RB is ludicrous, another position he is not cut out for...he is a CM who helped Watford get promoted - next people will suggest he plays in goal.

Seemed to do a lot of damage for Watford in a more advanced position, really hope it works out for him as he is obviously quality as his cv shows he's been there and done it as far as getting promoted from the championship is concerned.

This obsession with moving our midfielders to full back is becoming quite unhealthy now. Kieran Lee is the best midfielder in the division for me and Almen Abdi is technically fantastic, just needs a run of games. Palmer is doing a fine job at the moment. 

15 hours ago, torryowl said:

he's played a full season at rb in the premier league. Would hunt and Palmer be able to do that?

38 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

he's played a full season at rb in the premier league. Would hunt and Palmer be able to do that?

lets hope we find out next season ...........i know nothing about abdi until we signed him i'd never heard of him but if you say he's a top notch right back it makes you wonder why carlos doesnt play him there .....perhaps carlos is a fool after all if he's trying to turn him into a  midfielder

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

lets hope we find out next season ...........i know nothing about abdi until we signed him i'd never heard of him but if you say he's a top notch right back it makes you wonder why carlos doesnt play him there .....perhaps carlos is a fool after all if he's trying to turn him into a  midfielder

He's not trying to turn him into a midfielder, he is one.

However, he has played at RB for Watford - I'm unsure exactly how many games he played there.

19 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Perhaps he likes playing left back. He played there in his early days I think. The point is if a player doesn't like playing in that position the you won't get the best out of them. Irrespective if he is a professional or not

19 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Abdi has played full back at a much higher level than those two and I wouldn't give a damn if it hurt their feelings anyway. Best team should be selected.

How many times did he play full back then? Every player database I have checked says he is a midfielder. Not one of them mentions a full back. Anyone could play full back as indeed they could any other position. Doesn't mean they are good at it. I'm sure if he was a sparkling full back then the manager would pick him there. I'm sure you know best though eh.

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

He's not trying to turn him into a midfielder, he is one.

However, he has played at RB for Watford - I'm unsure exactly how many games he played there.

so confusing ....ellis says he's a right  back your telling me he's midfielder and carlos thinks he's a left  winger .......