Almen Abdi to right back

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Lucky you, I plussed you by accident.   I'm of the same opinion here as the stupid Lee debate.  Play players in their best positions!

1 minute ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Lucky you, I plussed you by accident.   I'm of the same opinion here as the stupid Lee debate.  Play players in their best positions!

If their best position is already taken they can't play there can they?

Edited by Ellis Rimmer

5 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

This is like saying we bought Adam Reach to play left back, albeit in an emergency we can. The person I would like to see there is Kieran Lee, he has the best engine in the team so getting the support out wide that CC likes from his full backs would never be a problem and he's a very good defender.

the most  integral part of our midfield and you want him to play full back .....who would you have replace him as our box to box player ?

5 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

This is like saying we bought Adam Reach to play left back, albeit in an emergency we can. The person I would like to see there is Kieran Lee, he has the best engine in the team so getting the support out wide that CC likes from his full backs would never be a problem and he's a very good defender.

the most  integral part of our midfield and you want him to play full back .....who would you have replace him as our box to box player ?

5 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

so if Abdi is a better right back than the other two, you don't think we should play him there?

No I don't.  He won't want to play there anyway plus I doubt he would be. If right back is our weakest position then I suggest we buy one. 

7 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

How much he cost and earns is not a reason for selecting him. The money is spent, the wage budget is set (for this half of the season anyway) so the only reason to pick players is to win matches not because they cost a lot or earn a lot. That money is gone either way and nothing is gained by playing them unless they are the best for the job (in the manager's opinion).

If he can do a better job than Palmer or Hunt then fair enough. Reach struggled a bit being played at full back.

I'd be gutted if someone doing the same job as me at triple the salary couldn't do my job. If he's conversant at right back, Ellis might have a point. DISCLAIMER.... I'm on leisure time today and ever so slightly p*ssed.

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

I would put Abdi in the hole play Dave Jones as the holding player and slot Reach in at LM and Ross Wallace/Bannan on the right, but would play more of a diamond formation, allowing the Full Backs to bomb on.

8 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

He's got little pace I doubt it is a good idea.  Just can't see how he fits into the side ATM.  Sat is crying out for Fletch, FF, Bannan, Lee, Buckley as our attacking 5 with Jones behind and Reach at LB as Pudil will get injured and break down at 3 in a week.

Saturday is crying out for:

Buckley Lee Abdi Reach

Forestieri Hooper

*Hooper deserves to keep his play would usually say Fletcher. 

Gotta go for it at home.

Palmer was back to his woeful worse last night.

In one passage of play in the first half we robbed one of their players in their own half.

Their player went down like a sack of spuds and stayed down, the ref waved play on.

At this point we have 3 on 2 with Palmer on the ball with no Cardiff player anywhere near him.

Warnock screaming at Palmer to kick the ball out, the ref still waves play on ,still 3 on 2 !

Palmer totally bottled it and knocked the ball tamely into touch with Carlos and Hooper going apoplectic.

The "critically injured" Cardiff lad then made a miraculous recovery and jumped to his feet without any need of medical intervention.

To top everything off Palmer then ran to the touchline in an attempt to take the throw in that he caused by kicking the ball into touch in the first place and looked at the ref in bewilderment as the Cardiff left back threw it over his head and back towards another Cardiff lad who in turn hoofed it the full length of the pitch for a goal kick to us.

In the stands we had to debate whether we all had just witnessed the same thing.....................

Unbelievable Jeff !

2 hours ago, billyblack said:

No I don't.  He won't want to play there anyway plus I doubt he would be. If right back is our weakest position then I suggest we buy one. 

well that is silly to suggest you wouldn't play him even if he's better than the others. Its October, a while before we can get a better fb

9 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

I thinks its more likely he will be gone in January - its clearly not working for him here.

We don't play to his skills and its clear CC won't use him in his preferred position, which IMO is why he is struggling.

Unless we change to accommodate him properly there is little sense him staying here...a pity as the £4M could have been used more constructively.

Watford built a side around him and got promoted, however I don't think CC will do that here.  

He clearly has talent but it is not the right type to add to this team and the way we play.  A move away would probably be best for all parties.

So why did we sign him then?