Colin's Comments...

There are hundreds of managers with very short lived careers who manage one or two teams before retiring or dropping down to being a coach instead of managing  - Colin certainly is not average. Seven or eight promotions in a 30+ year career is average? How many other managers get a promotion every four or five years?

Managing consistently in the top tier for a decade isn't the benchmark for being a good manager - if it was the number of "good" managers would be about 1%.

That being said, I think he's past his best and he's a knob. 

5 hours ago, Mick De Lyons said:

No, its testicles that you are speaking i'm afraid to say. This is really really simple lol. Good managers manage consistently in the top leagues. Mark Hughes, AlanPardew, Sam Alerdyce but to name a few who have been around a while and are British and not really the best either. Out of a 30 year career he has managed less than three full seasons in the top flight. If you think that classes him as " good " , then i think you need to consider what constitutes a good manager. When a vacancy comes up in the top flight, no one comes in for him. He is average.

Why exactly do you have to have managed in the premier league for a number of years in order to be considered a 'good manager'? On your basis CC would be classified as an 'average manager', which when you consider some of his predecessors I would say is pretty unfair. 

14 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Why exactly do you have to have managed in the premier league for a number of years in order to be considered a 'good manager'? On your basis CC would be classified as an 'average manager', which when you consider some of his predecessors I would say is pretty unfair. 

CC is an average manager. He is a manager of a top ten championship side, who are looking to get into the play offs. You have to look at things as a whole and in terms of football management, your status of how good you are is dictated by the club you are at. That goes for a manager or a player. You can use semantics and terminology about managers being " good " at particular levels, but in the grand scheme of things, if you're in the top division, you can be described as good, if its not that, then you're average. Bannan is not at Crystsl Palace for a reason, likewise Carlos isn't in the premier league for a reason. It doesn't mean they are a bad player or a bad manager, because they aren't, but neither are they at the top of their game. Its simple logic and reason, based on evidence.

6 minutes ago, Mick De Lyons said:

CC is an average manager. He is a manager of a top ten championship side, who are looking to get into the play offs. You have to look at things as a whole and in terms of football management, your status of how good you are is dictated by the club you are at. That goes for a manager or a player. You can use semantics and terminology about managers being " good " at particular levels, but in the grand scheme of things, if you're in the top division, you can be described as good, if its not that, then you're average. Bannan is not at Crystsl Palace for a reason, likewise Carlos isn't in the premier league for a reason. It doesn't mean they are a bad player or a bad manager, because they aren't, but neither are they at the top of their game. Its simple logic and reason, based on evidence.

Clough was at Derby. Ferguson at Aberdeen etc etc. On owlstalk we tend to comment on what we have experience of.

The Wednesday. The broader scheme of things can wait until we're part of it. Who cares if Warnock is good bad or indifferent? You've spent a lot of time and effort defending a narrow argument.

That's not the broader picture is it?

You come over as a bit of a know all with too much time on your hands.

35 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Clough was at Derby. Ferguson at Aberdeen etc etc. On owlstalk we tend to comment on what we have experience of.

The Wednesday. The broader scheme of things can wait until we're part of it. Who cares if Warnock is good bad or indifferent? You've spent a lot of time and effort defending a narrow argument.

Ahh, you've still not got over the last time we crossed swords, have you lol. When you actually said " most of your posts make sense, wtf hapenned this time ". Obviously you're still butthurt about how you couldn't comeback from what i'd said. So you've been waiting for something to rear youe head up lol. Oh dear, your so predictable. I'm not the one with thousands of posts to my name, so having too much time on their hands could equally apply to you. Mobile phones mean you can answer when and where you like in minutes, i'm sure you've heard of them. What you don't like is another person coming along, talking about some interesting topics and upsetting your little clique on Owlstalk.

Who cares if Warnock is good, bad or indifferent ? Why allow a Warnock based thread then, if no one is allowed to talk about him or his managerial career. Clough and Ferguson were elite managers mamaging amd winning titles in the top division for year after year, something Warnock has never done. You don't make any sense and what's with the royal " we on Owlstalk " crap. Just speak for yourself and leave others to do the same. You sound like you like a butthurt guy who's spent yeaes on here and has the cheek to say its ME who has too muxh time on his hands. Quite the reverse lol.

Edited by Mick De Lyons
Spelling

59 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I joined in May 2012 and have 496 posts to my name. You on the other hand joined in June this year and have 1,386 posts !!! and you talk about me having too much time on their hands lol. Give it a rest fella, you seem obsessed by this site. Take your own medicine, your nothing but a hypocrite with double standards and another who gets mardy if people have the temerity to hold a different view point.

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 11:50, sheffsteel said:

There's a common pattern with Warnock.

1: When he joins a new club he quickly gets the fans on side by saying what a wonderful club it is and they have the best fans in the world etc etc.

2: When his teams win Warnock always praises the opposition team and opposition manager.

Usually predicts that they'll be involved in promotion or avoid relegation etc. So he's basically bigging himself up.

3: When Warnocks teams lose he always blames the ref, the pitch, the weather, the injuries, the schedule etc etc 

Warnock is 2 faced and manipulative BUT I suppose that's what makes him an excellent manager.

Also arguably he does have some charm and charisma. Just take everything he says with a pitch of salt.

you've just described Steve Evans (apart from the last bit) 

2 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

Ahh, you've still not got over the last time we crossed swords, have you lol. When you actually said " most of your posts make sense, wtf hapenned this time ". Obviously you're still butthurt about how you couldn't comeback from what i'd said. So you've been waiting for something to rear youe head up lol. Oh dear, your so predictable. I'm not the one with thousands of posts to my name, so having too much time on their hands could equally apply to you. Mobile phones mean you can answer when and where you like in minutes, i'm sure you've heard of them. What you don't like is another person coming along, talking about some interesting topics and upsetting your little clique on Owlstalk.

Who cares if Warnock is good, bad or indifferent ? Why allow a Warnock based thread then, if no one is allowed to talk about him or his managerial career. Clough and Ferguson were elite managers mamaging amd winning titles in the top division for year after year, something Warnock has never done. You don't make any sense and what's with the royal " we on Owlstalk " crap. Just speak for yourself and leave others to do the same. You sound like you like a butthurt guy who's spent yeaes on here and has the cheek to say its ME who has too muxh time on his hands. Quite the reverse lol.

4 hours ago, dawkeye said:

There are hundreds of managers with very short lived careers who manage one or two teams before retiring or dropping down to being a coach instead of managing  - Colin certainly is not average. Seven or eight promotions in a 30+ year career is average? How many other managers get a promotion every four or five years?

Managing consistently in the top tier for a decade isn't the benchmark for being a good manager - if it was the number of "good" managers would be about 1%.

That being said, I think he's past his best and he's a knob. 

I'll certainly agree on him being a knob lol. Its all about opinions and i never said he was crap, but for me he hasn't worked in top flight football for ling enough to be called a good manager. He's a journeyman who's had some success along the way, in a career spanning 35 years, which you'd expect after that length of time managing.

Warnock certainly divides opinion - this thread alone vouches for that!

For what it's worth, neither CC or Warnock can be classed as average.

There are somewhere in the region of 5,300 teams in the English football league, so any manager who flits in and around the Championship and Premiership are the in the upper echelon. This is definitely, definitely not the average 

Guest BULGARIA
3 hours ago, Mick De Lyons said:

So if Ryan Giggs gets a job as manager in the premiership ( which according to many, he was close to being appointed at Swansea) does he straight away become a good manager, even though its his first managerial job?

3 hours ago, Mick De Lyons said:

Rafael Benítez is only average?

Think your simple logic and reason, based on evidence is off by a factor of millions 

Guest The Horse

He's a dinosaur now.

His only trick remaining up his sleeve is to get his players up for every game as if it was a cup final.

That can only work for a short burst of time and it worked like magic with Rotherham but knew he'd get found out if he stayed over a season with them.
Think he's come in too early with Cardiff and they'll burn out and he'll have no nothing left but to accuse refs and leave by mutual consent.

1 hour ago, BULGARIA said:

So if Ryan Giggs gets a job as manager in the premiership ( which according to many, he was close to being appointed at Swansea) does he straight away become a good manager, even though its his first managerial job?

Of course not, because its what you do over a period of time. Giggs is only considered becausr of his name and outstanding career at Man Utd. 

1 hour ago, Holmes said:

Rafael Benítez is only average?

Think your simple logic and reason, based on evidence is off by a factor of millions 

How on earth you can compare the career of Warnock and Benitiz, heaven only know's. I said its what a manager does over time and the status of the club or clubs they are at or have been at. Warnock has been in the top tier with Notts County, Sheffield United and QPR and for one season each time, less i think at QPR. Benitiz has managed at Real Madrid, Napoli, Inter Milan, Liverpool and Chelsea. He joined Newcastle when they were already in the crap and has a career in the championship of 13 games !! This is what i mean bu people willfully misconstruing what you mean. Unreal lol.

1 hour ago, Geosword said:

He's a dinosaur now.

His only trick remaining up his sleeve is to get his players up for every game as if it was a cup final.

That can only work for a short burst of time and it worked like magic with Rotherham but knew he'd get found out if he stayed over a season with them.
Think he's come in too early with Cardiff and they'll burn out and he'll have no nothing left but to accuse refs and leave by mutual consent.

Wouldn't surprise in the slightest, totally agree.

2 hours ago, gazzamk2 said:

Warnock certainly divides opinion - this thread alone vouches for that!

For what it's worth, neither CC or Warnock can be classed as average.

There are somewhere in the region of 5,300 teams in the English football league, so any manager who flits in and around the Championship and Premiership are the in the upper echelon. This is definitely, definitely not the average 

5,300 teams in the English League ? Its all about opinions, but i class managers who've got track records in the top tier of  leagues around the world as being good managers. They prove it over time. The percentage levels may be small, but that's the nature of sport in general where true talent is concerned.

16 minutes ago, Mick De Lyons said:

How on earth you can compare the career of Warnock and Benitiz, heaven only know's. I said its what a manager does over time and the status of the club or clubs they are at or have been at. Warnock has been in the top tier with Notts County, Sheffield United and QPR and for one season each time, less i think at QPR. Benitiz has managed at Real Madrid, Napoli, Inter Milan, Liverpool and Chelsea. He joined Newcastle when they were already in the crap and has a career in the championship of 13 games !! This is what i mean bu people willfully misconstruing what you mean. Unreal lol.

Reading what you said in the post I quoted from you does not tally with previous post I quoted.

Think you should revist what you said and make clear what you actually mean.

You seem to be misconstruing without any help from others.