3 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Thats my position 

If he gets a shirt, i don't care if its at left back, he has to show enough to make it hard for CC and his staff to ignore his claims, as yet he hasn't 

But it's hard to show you're worth when you're playing in a position that doesn't suit you and you can't get the best out of yourself.

Sign a very good midfielder, pay over the odds to bring him in, then ruin him by not giving him a run of games to settle into the side, then gets shunted out onto the wing when he does get into the team.

Thats poor IMO.  Hardly a surprise that he hasn't flourished.

I hope Abdi will come good for us when we start giving the bloke a run in the side playing centre midfield.  The worrying thing is that this doesn't seem to be in Carvalhal's plans.

His chance arose from Bannan being shattered. When Bannans 100% he won't get a look in, shame really but he doesn't look on par with Lee who I really think he was brought in to compete with for a place , because we can't play with with both, too similar, hence why Jones was brought in.

23 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Just said in match day thread, Watford fans are shocked we aren't building our team around him playing in hole behind the forwards.

Proven talent at Chsmpionship and Premiership level being wasted on left wing or on bench.

Weird decision to sign him and then waste his talents. 

If if he doesn't fit the system why sign him? 

Personally ill trust CC and his staff to decide who to build our team round rather than a group of another teams fans 

57 minutes ago, vulva said:

Got obvious pedigree, but seems the kind of player you build a side around, or don't pick at all. I think he was bought in as an 'upgrade' on Keiron Lee, but he has taken his form to a whole new level. 

I think this is about right. 

Got to feel for Abdi though as he clearly said he left Watford to play in the middle & he's not been given a chance

22 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Just said in match day thread, Watford fans are shocked we aren't building our team around him playing in hole behind the forwards.

Proven talent at Chsmpionship and Premiership level being wasted on left wing or on bench.

Weird decision to sign him and then waste his talents. 

If if he doesn't fit the system why sign him? 

This.

No problem with the money we (allegedly) paid for him - he's a difference maker at this level and played pretty well at the next level up, at the time it seemed like a coup to get him.

But his best position is one that doesn't exist in the formations we usually play.  So he's been stuffed into the side in positions that don't suit him, and it's obvious his form and confidence have suffered.

I'm not sure how this works out now.  We're unlikely to drastically change how we play, meaning he's unlikely to get a run in his favoured position, and we're unlikely to see the best of him.

A shame all round, because he could absolutely make the difference for a side looking to get promoted.

Wonder if that whole FF "thing" actually had a bigger negative impact on AA?

Wasn't it his wages FF was complaining about (compared to his own)?

May have added pressure to AA - but then again - he's paid to deal with pressure so becomes a vicious circle in his screwed up mind

I think he has actually gone insane

Irrespective of Abdi's ability, we are only a couple of points off the top 2, and the arrival of Abdi has generated competition, which has probably turned Keiron Lee into a £5m player. As a result, CC's decision not to pick him, or build a side around him, is probably justified. Sure I also read that neither Abdi or Pudil had any kind of pre season, which is often not taken into consideration. 

I think Abdi will come good, and prove an excellent acquisition. And at least he is in and around the squad, and playing. More that can be said for the missing in action squad members such as McGugan, Melo, Mattias, Joao etc etc. 

Edited by vulva

59 minutes ago, vulva said:

Got obvious pedigree, but seems the kind of player you build a side around, or don't pick at all. I think he was bought in as an 'upgrade' on Keiron Lee, but he has taken his form to a whole new level. 

I think this is about right. 

Got to feel for Abdi though as he clearly said he left Watford to play in the middle & he's not been given a chance

Just now, sonofbert2 said:

Long way to go yet.

Plenty of time still for him to shine for us.

Gone are the days of same 11 all season...You don't have to look back too far to prove this.

He's running out of chances.

Been subbed off a few times now at half time.

Excellent signing for us. What you want as a manager is surely for your players to step up when someone who is acknowledged to be a better player arrives. Lee has done that, and taken his game to new levels. 

Abdi, maybe could have started tonight just behind Hoops, however CC decided not to do so. Taking him off at half time if he wasn't injured won't do him any good, but he needs to get his head down and work to convince CC that he should be starting in the centre midfield.

In an ideal world I'm sure we would all love to see FF, Abdi, Lee, Bannan all starting, but it can't happen, and that's a problem, but it is a problem that CC wanted when he said he wanted 2 players for every position.

Long term, I think Abdi will get a run in his favoured positions, but until that happens when he does start he needs to really grasp the opportunity, something he hasn't done so far.