David Jones

At the game - I didn't think he played particularly well, because I never really noticed him as everyone else put in a superb shift. 

However, 24 hours have since elapsed and I have changed my opinion. The reason as to why I didn't spot him was because he was quietly and effectively going about his business in a professional manner. 

Made that CM area very compact meaning Huddersfiled had to get the ball wide - which was then obviously gobbled up by the impressive Lees and Hutchinson when the ball came into our box.  

Wouldn't be using him at home as much - but away, he will be a key part Im sure. 

Edited by Shifty Powers

8 hours ago, Gateford_Owl said:

Judging by this thread I'm in the minority and it's all about opinions at the end of the day but I thought he was bang average at very best.

The game passed him by for the large parts and when he did have the ball at his feet he treated it like a hot potato. I can't recall any crunching tackles or vital interceptions either. So if your job is to look anonymous and just be 'a body' in front of the back four then I guess he did ok...but certainly not the type of player we needed in that role IMO

3 year contract though...jeez!

Only Lee, Reach and Palmer had more touches than Jones.

He had a pass success rate of 90%, which was the highest of any of our players.

Of our outfield players, only Kieran Lee completed more passes (35 to 30).

He made 3 tackles, bested only by Reach and Forestieri with 4 each.

He made 7 clearances, behind only Hutchinson and Lees.

The game didn't 'pass him by'; in fact, I'd say he was vital to our impressive performance. It's no use being a 'body in front of the back four' if your positional awareness and reading of the game is poor; fortunately, Jones' is excellent, and he stifled Huddersfield's attacks through the centre of the park with all the assuredness I'd expect from a player with his experience.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

Another excellent performance from Jones today. I watched him closely for a few minutes in the first half, just to see how he moved off the ball. What struck me most was how often he checks over his shoulder to see what's developing behind him. I'm not exaggerating when I say he must have checked over his shoulder at least 20 times a minute while I was watching him!

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Another excellent performance from Jones today. I watched him closely for a few minutes in the first half, just to see how he moved off the ball. What struck me most was how often he checks over his shoulder to see what's developing behind him. I'm not exaggerating when I say he must have checked over his shoulder at least 20 times a minute while I was watching him!

I did the same. Constantly checking his positioning. Football is a simple game and he made it look easy today.

14 minutes ago, vulva said:

Class act. If fit, will play every game. Just what we were missing. Experience and strength in the middle. 

I agree. Got a great range of passes as well. Allows the full backs to bomb forward as he protects the cb pair. He's a mix of Hutch and Bannan with a decent football brain. Might turn out to be the best signing of the season

He does a bit of everything, he can defend, tackle, intercept, pass short, pass long, slot in anywhere in defence when  there's a gap. As pointed out earlier, he spends a lot of time moving to be in the most effective defensive position, following the ball and blocking two potential passes at once. And he's our corner taker. Thoroughly impressed with him this week.