Why do you want FF as a striker?

FF played up front with Fletcher while our other 9 players decided it was illegal to cross the half way line. How many times do you expect him to make runs while we pass it slowly square or back.

If I was striker at our club I would like to be the one that comes on with 30 mins left and we decide to attack 

16 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I honestly don't think we can play all 3 in the same side full stop. 

I tend to agree with a lot of what you say about this topic - but i think you can play all 3 but the system would have to be 3-5-2 - not sure we have the defenders for this centrally though. Rest of the team would be fine

I always thought our summer recruitment was going to mean a change in formation - and i think to get the best out of everyone and make us the best team we can be that will mean probably playing 1 up front and 3 in behind

I was convinced we would go with a (basically) front four and a defending 6

It would also help us not be outnumbered centrally - and make us harder to score against

4 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

Fessi is not a striker. He was getting no service and ineffective again today when played up the front.

He likes to come and get the ball and have space to dribble and make passes from deep, and then can get into the box for chances. Playing him on the wing is perfect for him, whereas he's almost anonymous up front. Whenever I hear he's up front for the "tougher matches" I sigh, as I know it will require a switch with Hooper coming on to get the best out of him (just like today).

Agreed. I feel depressed when I see his name on the sheet and no Hooper. It means a toothless first half and an emergency repair on 60 minutes.

They are two of our very best players and BOTH need to be on from the start.

FF falls out of the game when our tempo is as slow as it was today. Everything he does is fast. He made many good forward runs today where he literally had to turn around and come back to avoid being offside because the ball was still being Chucklevisioned between Bannan and Lees. Must be frustrating as hell for him at the moment, we seem to have decided it's a legit tactic to play like we've all got 50kg boots on. Weird.

1 minute ago, Mr. Tom said:

FF falls out of the game when our tempo is as slow as it was today. Everything he does is fast. He made many good forward runs today where he literally had to turn around and come back to avoid being offside because the ball was still being Chucklevisioned between Bannan and Lees. Must be frustrating as hell for him at the moment, we seem to have decided it's a legit tactic to play like we've all got 50kg boots on. Weird.

No excuse today. He was dire.

1 minute ago, Mr. Tom said:

No excuse today. He was dire.

12 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I don't get it.

Most on here want FF up front or just off Fletch. Why?

His goal record as a forward was 1 in 4 for Watford and is 1 in 5 for us. That's about 9 or 10 goals if he played all 46 matches! When he plays up front the team's scoring record is lousy. One goal per game as a team when he is up front, compared to almost one in two when he plays deeper so he can run at the oppos.

He is (usually) outstanding for us coming from wide and deep and running at defences. But why does his 7 goals in 35 as a forward for us have so many of you calling for him to be striker?

Whether he prefers it there or not is irrelevant. He is not a quality central forward at this level. He has been lousy there this season, and his only two goals have come (just as last season) when he has been away from the central striker role.

Because our thick manager (and/or chairmen) decided to spunk millions on a left winger & centre mid.

Horrendous summer recruitment and we're paying for it, will cost cc his job.

7 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Have a + for coining the verb 'to Chucklevision'. I expect the OED will be in touch shortly...

When we signed Reach I was certain FF was out the door. But he wasn't gone on deadline day like I expected.

Then all the dramatics of his emotion when scoring, saying he never wanted to leave etc made me think actually his head is here and no point in selling him on.... but on recent form I'm having doubts. 

Yesterday was was the type of game I think he's useful as second striker or link up but (on reports and highlights only) Hooper was better at that when came on. 

I always thougt hooper the better "striker" and I think Reach the better "winger" so where does that leave our best player!?! 

Does it mean rotating based on form/style we are going to play or does it mean one needs selling and we can strengthen another area? 

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

why do people think just because he's having a dip in form that he doesnt want to be here ?.......he's not playing well but cant fault him on effort .

I believe he wants to be here, maybe even that he's trying too hard at the moment to prove that and make things happen. 

If it were me managing the team I'd give him a rest and hope to be in a position to bring him back on as sub when 2 or 3 up in a game or after a few wins so he doesn't feel need to be a superhero! 

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I believe he wants to be here, maybe even that he's trying too hard at the moment to prove that and make things happen. 

If it were me managing the team I'd give him a rest and hope to be in a position to bring him back on as sub when 2 or 3 up in a game or after a few wins so he doesn't feel need to be a superhero! 

if carlos did that the way we are playing at the moment it could a long time before we see FF  again .......

Forestieri is a quality player who can play a number of roles very effectively.

i think its a mistake though to consider him as an out and out striker a number nine if you like. He's a number ten a bit like Peter Beardsley with a Lineker or Shearer in the number nine role. I think Forestieri could play this role with Fletcher as the main striker but he and the team for that matter need to be on form. 

If he's not on form he will be equally ineffective whether played up front in the number ten role or out wide.

I'd go as far as to say why the fascination with him playing on the left? Surely being right footed he can go on the right, allowing Reach to play on the left?! I remember him playing wide right in a three for Watford against us and causing us problems, plus he scored against us too.

Also playing him as a striker nullifies a lot of his qualities. Playing him slightly deeper allows him to be facing his opponent and running at them. A lot of forward play these days is with the back to goal and no good for Fessi.

Edited by Babushka1867