Joe Palmer Ringing the Changes?!

Interesting article on the guy, http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-joe-palmer-aims-to-help-take-owls-to-the-next-level-1-8104772

He clearly seems to know his stuff and he sells himself as a 'Sports Marketeer', something I think we can all agree we have missed for many years and cannot be done without any longer at SWFC.

However, I can see him a DC clashing when it comes to ticket pricing, if this excerpt is anything to go by;

joe_palmer.PNG

I had previously stated during the furore of the POTG pricing structure for this season, that whatever the ST, HST and Membership deals are; whilst they fit many people's circumstances and pockets... the POTG was still in noway justly representative of the average persons available / left over GDP in their pocket. Hence he was by default cutting out many of the fan base in the POTG bracket still.

*Disclaimer* I searched the forum to see if there was already a similar post, there wasn't at the time of creating this post

Edited by robster_owl

i honestly think, with the catering coming back in house and the commercial team starting to be built, there will be a rebalancing of the POTG pricing.

As it stands, once youve taken money off them at the gate, sheffield wednesday has no opportunity to get further spend. Which means there isnt the same incentive to have seats filled at any cost. If we are starting to see revenue once fans are inside, theres more incentive to drive higher gates and more bums on seats.

If this guy has looked around the club shop, he'll know just how big a mess this will be to fix. It needs a complete overhaul.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

i honestly think, with the catering coming back in house and the commercial team starting to be built, there will be a rebalancing of the POTG pricing.

As it stands, once youve taken money off them at the gate, sheffield wednesday has no opportunity to get further spend. Which means there isnt the same incentive to have seats filled at any cost. If we are starting to see revenue once fans are inside, theres more incentive to drive higher gates and more bums on seats.

If this guy has looked around the club shop, he'll know just how big a mess this will be to fix. It needs a complete overhaul.

This is actually a very good point of view.

Good post.

Always thought match day should be an experience including catering and merchandise, an area we have been sadly lacking for years. Ticket prices have been done to death, but from my point of view SWFC would generate more turnover from me if POTG prices were between £22-£30 and we had a decent catering offering. I would bring 3 instead of just myself for a  start and purchase food and drink (if of decent quality) in the ground rather than from outside the ground. 

Speaking personally, a Beres sandwich shop and McDonalds franchise inside the ground would suit us perfectly :biggrin:

I would also have spent over £100 more in the shop had they actually had stock worth buying when I came to the Port Vale match with my family. Came with cash in pocket, ready to spend and left a little disappointed.

2 hours ago, robster_owl said:

Interesting article on the guy, http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-joe-palmer-aims-to-help-take-owls-to-the-next-level-1-8104772

He clearly seems to know his stuff and he sells himself as a 'Sports Marketeer', something I think we can all agree we have missed for many years and cannot be done without any longer at SWFC.

However, I can see him a DC clashing when it comes to ticket pricing, if this excerpt is anything to go by;

joe_palmer.PNG

I had previously stated during the furore of the POTG pricing structure for this season, that whatever the ST, HST and Membership deals are; whilst they fit many people's circumstances and pockets... the POTG was still in noway justly representative of the average persons available / left over GDP in their pocket. Hence he was by default cutting out many of the fan base in the POTG bracket still.

*Disclaimer* I searched the forum to see if there was already a similar post, there wasn't at the time of creating this post

Many thanks for the posting. I think this is a really interesting appointment. How unusual for a Brit to build a reputation in football somewhere like Ukraine? Almost certainly Joe Palmer must have plenty of guts and determination and hopefully a great commercial brain. I agree with other posters that his philosophy on ticket prices might not align with DC's, but let's hope he has the powers of persuasion to bring POTG prices to a more realistic level. 

Similar to the appointment of CC, the appointment of Joe Palmer feels very left field. DC obviously has the confidence to recruit people from quite unconventional routes. i'll be fascinated to see how JP works out for the club.

Edited by East Yorks Owl

This is very promising. Going on the club shop alone, this is a thousand times better than our offering. When you consider that's their English store, and the club is playing 600 miles from their home stadium in a country that's in the midst of a civil war, his skills seem to speak for themselves.

I got a newsletter the other day about the release of the Training Wear and due to the weather that will no doubt be soon changing to true Autumnal of type; I thought I will look to see what Hooded tops the club has... I was quite gob smacked there was not a SINGLE one - pages just blank.

For e.g. http://www.medocmall.co.uk/cgi-bin/live/ecommerce.pl?site=theclubshop_sheffieldwednesday&state=products&dept_id=20&sub_dept_id=20

There were some other more winter like clothing pages, again just blank which I don't know why they don't have the store set to 'Hide' empty categories, until they become populated with items again.

It's getting there with the new MedocMall style but it seems it's outsourced. However, it can be said if the previous store was kept in-house, maybe that is why it turned to dog poop over the course of time, once you add that platform just didn't move with the times.

I am sure that the guy will no doubt help turn various things around but of course, as he says in the article; making changes in the season helps with much speedier feedback and forces the club to make any tweaks they agree to, as quick as possible.