Villa over confident

Guest 1banana2banana

Living in Birmingham I have had very much mixed reports from Villa fans, some think they will batter us and that they will finish comfortably in the top 6, others show more of a degree of realism and understand that this league is very difficult and if they don't create some sort of team chemistry then they will finish bang mid table and it will be a season of very much ifs and buts. Personally I still think although they have improved going forward, defensively they are still woefully underprepared  for this division, their last pre season game against Boro highlighted the fact that they still can not defend against teams that show any sort of inventiveness in the final third. 

The thing that has me really chuckling is the naivety of some of their fan base much like the op's article, they appear to be making judgments about a division that they have no experience with what so ever. Casing point majority of Villa fans i've spoken to simply could not get their head round the fact that Bannan was in the team of the year last season. 

I've given up the rhetoric of 'just wait till the end of Novemeber before you start making comments on where you will finish', the truth is none of them have a clue how their team will do as they were dire last year and have changed so much about their club, but much of it is over confidence much like us in 2000. 

1 hour ago, KernowOwl said:

Villa can think what they like, but they were so bad last season in the PL and now they've dropped one league, you would think the way their fans are acting they would be up against league 2 sides this season.  The difference between PL and the championship isn't what it once was. And this season is looking to be the hardest yet. 

on paper they should do well this season but unfortunately for them it isn't played on paper last season they would've struggled in the championship  they have rolled the dice with a good manager and invested in the squad let's see if he prepares them for what going to hit them Sunday  for once we roll into a season with a good squad 

For either side promotion isn't won or lost on Sunday but I think they'll get a shock 

Team finishes after relegation from the Premier League (since 2010)

Relegated in 2010:

Burnley - 8th

Hull - 11th

Portsmouth - 16th

Relegated in 2011:

Birmingham - 4th

Blackpool - 5th

West Ham - 3rd (Promoted via play-offs)

Relegated in 2012:

Bolton - 7th

Blackburn - 17th

Wolves - 23rd

Relegated in 2013:

Wigan - 5th

Reading - 7th

QPR - 4th (Promoted via play-offs)

Relegated in 2014:

Norwich - 3rd (Promoted via play-offs)

Fulham - 17th

Cardiff - 11th

Relegated in 2015: 

Hull - 4th (Promoted via play-offs)

Burnley - 1st (Promoted as champions)

QPR - 12th

The immediate bounce back doesn't happen as often as people think

14 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

I'd take Amavi and Bacuna. They have both looked like decent footballers. Gestede wouldn't fit in our team as we aren't a team that chucks it in the box. Ayew would be good in a front three. After that then no thanks.

Hes awful. bit like Helan and JJ, look good to the untrained eye but when you have watched him a couple of times you realize he is actually useless 

They're in for a shock.

Maybe it'll be against us on Sunday, maybe it wont be, but it'll come. And there will be far "worse" trips and more stinging defeats than against a Sheffield Wednesday side that "haven't been good for 20 years." 

The Championship is an oppressive, relentless grind. My personal opinion is that Aston Villa don't look ready for it. They were an absolute f*cking disgrace to their club and to their supporters last year, and I'd be shocked if Villa fans themselves disagreed with that. What have they done to their squad to change that? I don't know how poor they think this division is if they think that gutless rubbish will fly again in this league. 

Edited by sheffield_dave

33 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Hes awful. bit like Helan and JJ, look good to the untrained eye but when you have watched him a couple of times you realize he is actually useless 

:laugh:

Calm down Alan Irvine.

I've seen him a few times and he looked tidy if not spectacular. He's a better right back than he is a winger but he can cross the ball. Good delivery on set pieces.

Comparing him to Helan though...

...must be my untrained eye.

1 hour ago, DMX said:

Relegated in 2010:

Burnley - 8th

Hull - 11th

Portsmouth - 16th

Relegated in 2011:

Birmingham - 4th

Blackpool - 5th

Relegated in 2012:

Bolton - 7th

Blackburn - 17th

Wolves - 23rd

Relegated in 2013:

Wigan - 5th

Reading - 7th

Relegated in 2014:

Fulham - 17th

Cardiff - 11th

Relegated in 2015: 

QPR - 12th

Good post, mate.  And the teams that did bounce back up (with the exception of West Ham) have had plenty of experience in the League over the past 10 years or so. 

Reading that guff they are in for a helluva shock and would struggle to think of a tougher opener for them.  Both teams will be fresh and looking to impress but if we're anything like on song and they are suspect at the back...

...just cannae wait til Sunday.  Be great to turn these over on TV, first game up. 

I've spent a bit of time perusing the villa forums and over confidence certainly isn't the impression i've got.  They are an insular bunch who don't seem to know much about anything but villa but they are concerned with their squad and the majority have them down for a mid table finish.

Sunday will be a tough game, no two ways about it.  They'll have a good following and will be looking to show they can compete in league.  Having said that, i don't see us losing to them.

1 hour ago, DMX said:

Relegated in 2010:

Burnley - 8th

Hull - 11th

Portsmouth - 16th

Relegated in 2011:

Birmingham - 4th

Blackpool - 5th

Relegated in 2012:

Bolton - 7th

Blackburn - 17th

Wolves - 23rd

Relegated in 2013:

Wigan - 5th

Reading - 7th

Relegated in 2014:

Fulham - 17th

Cardiff - 11th

Relegated in 2015: 

QPR - 12th

So my opinion on Newcastle having a shock is partially substantiated by those stats.

Rafa or not they will struggle. IMHO

31 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

:laugh:

Calm down Alan Irvine.

I've seen him a few times and he looked tidy if not spectacular. He's a better right back than he is a winger but he can cross the ball. Good delivery on set pieces.

Comparing him to Helan though...

...must be my untrained eye.

Nah I accept he is a step up on Helan (that really is not a difficult ask) but he is similar in that he looks willing and busy but produces very little

9 hours ago, TrueOwl said:

Disrespect anyone in this league even Rovrum and you're in trouble as they're about to find out. My respect for villa as a promotion rivals is about on par with Ipswich and Cardiff. Could surprise us, could be way off the pace. We thought we were a cut above the rest of this division when we went down 16 years ago. Still here.

This, exactly.

They're not particularly confident on here:

http://www.avillafan.com/forum/index.php?/topic/15240-sheffield-wednesday-vs-aston-villa/

Mostly realistic posts with a bit of doom and gloom thrown in!

Really looking forward to this game, should be a cracking atmosphere, quality football and a few goals thrown in. As long as we get revenge for that Big Ron game, which broke my twelve year old heart (was a ballboy for that game). Still got to see my all time favourite goal ever in the flesh, Hirsty's belter.

The Sheffield Wednesday haven't been a force for 20 years comment doesn't really make much sense, we might not have done much 2 or 5 or 10 years ago or whatever but right now we have one of the strongest teams in this league and can match anyone on our day (as Villa have the potential to have one of the strongest sides too).

Just seems odd to me; "why should we fear the 2016 Wednesday side when their 2003 team that got relegated was woeful".

It will be the mentality and approach that wins or loses this game.

These teams, as others have found, will play 46 cup finals.

Perhaps they will start strongly and then fade in February / March.

Money gets you quality but if that quality bottles it or cannot cope with the attritional nature of the EFL then they will be in trouble.