Old pics of Hillsborough

2 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

I'd include this in a possible 'What could have been' section...

1963.jpg

Proposed plan for Hillsborough in the early 60's but never realised...way ahead of its time and still looks good.

I think only the North Stand Cantilever came through in the end.

Looks rather bland tbh that mate, much prefer our current stadium

Just now, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Looks rather bland tbh that mate, much prefer our current stadium

Black and white probably doesn't do it justice...I like the lines, symmetry and the look of it - plus it would have been easy to modify, much like Old Traffford has undergone in recent times.

Current ground is great, but its a bit of a hotchpotch and the Kop and West Stand (especially) look a little dated.

38 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Black and white probably doesn't do it justice...I like the lines, symmetry and the look of it - plus it would have been easy to modify, much like Old Traffford has undergone in recent times.

Current ground is great, but its a bit of a hotchpotch and the Kop and West Stand (especially) look a little dated.

It's all the same, it's just boring. and would be so out of date just like the north stand currently is.

We'll knock the leppings lane end down soon, the Kop can easily be extended back to Penistone road and I'd be fairly sure the north will look a lot different in 10 years time

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

It's all the same, it's just boring. and would be so out of date just like the north stand currently is.

We'll knock the leppings lane end down soon, the Kop can easily be extended back to Penistone road and I'd be fairly sure the north will look a lot different in 10 years time

Don't agree re the North Stand -  it still looks good... great Cantilever, good lines, no struts and timeless look.  Just needs a lick of paint.

Kop needs adjusting first - the roof it terrible, dated and the struts get in the way.  It will probably need relaying if it to be extend backwards..I'd also get rid of the corners, they have never looked good.

Think the North and South will stay as focal points of the ground with the Leppings Lane (agree - its dreadful) and the Kop redesigned to blend in.

Its all subjective I suppose....  We'll see, but nothing is going to happen until/if/when we get to the Prem.

14 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Don't agree re the North Stand -  it still looks good... great Cantilever, good lines, no struts and timeless look.  Just needs a lick of paint.

Kop needs adjusting first - the roof it terrible, dated and the struts get in the way.  It will probably need relaying if it to be extend backwards..I'd also get rid of the corners, they have never looked good.

Think the North and South will stay as focal points of the ground with the Leppings Lane (agree - its dreadful) and the Kop redesigned to blend in.

Its all subjective I suppose....  We'll see, but nothing is going to happen until/if/when we get to the Prem.

Inside the North is out-dated, and I'm certain it will get a complete referb soon, giving the concourses more space which means the cantilever structure will have to go. The 'shell' of the stand is still good though.

I can see the Kop being extended back to the wall, covering all the concourses and then it being completly updated, with a new Lepp which perhaps mimics the 'new' Kop, and fill in the corners as we go. Thats what I'd go anyway.

Of course it won't happen til we are properly in the Prem, which may still be a few years away we don't know.

1 hour ago, Moorowl said:

No info on this so if anyone can help?

2015-12-04 13.37.12.jpg

Jack Brown is the keeper back row 4th from right

Mark Hooper is the first player sitting down in stripes.

Jimmy Trotter is 3rd player sat down in stripes.  Trotter left in Feb 1929.  

Mark Hooper joined in 1927 so the photo must be dated 1927, 1928 or 1929.  That's obviously the Kop behind before the hump was added.

7 hours ago, torryowl said:

earlier than the 1930's..........

Yep, just looked again.

The South stand was constructed 1913/15, on the picture the houses on Fielding, Bickerton, Farndale, Leake Roads etc don't appear to have been built, I thought they would have preceeded the South Stand or is this just a bit of artistic licence?