Homophobia in football

This thread is interesting, not so much the subject matter but replies to it. I remember a few recent posts about racism and there was 99% revulsion towards racism in football, everyone was tripping over themselves to show their disgust, almost in a universal back slapping orgy of political correctness. I thought at the time whether it would be the same case had it been about gays in football and I said to myself that there would be a load of jokes about sausage jockeys, ar$e pirates and all the rest, I was proven right...,.. Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for a bit of wee wee taking, aslong as it's not really nasty then there's no harm done, but why do almost half of this thread think it's okay to p1ss take gays, but not blacks/ Asians or whatever?............. Serious question btw? (And before the inevitable question is asked, no, I don't take it up the bum)

Think Sweden have included one of the only openly gay footballers in their euro squad, Tobias Hysen.

Nope, it's his brother Anton (in my picture) who is gay.

Do we have any 'pink' Owlstalkers?

Yes, hello.:)

---------

I'm not surprised footballers don't come out, especially ones at the top of the game. They've been in the game since a child's age and been in situations where homophobia is deemed as 'acceptable' time after time. Imagine a 14 year old kid who is surrounded by that.

John Amaechi hits the nail on the head when it comes to this issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAZnOgumVQE

This thread is interesting, not so much the subject matter but replies to it. I remember a few recent posts about racism and there was 99% revulsion towards racism in football, everyone was tripping over themselves to show their disgust, almost in a universal back slapping orgy of political correctness. I thought at the time whether it would be the same case had it been about gays in football and I said to myself that there would be a load of jokes about sausage jockeys, ar$e pirates and all the rest, I was proven right...,.. Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for a bit of wee wee taking, aslong as it's not really nasty then there's no harm done, but why do almost half of this thread think it's okay to p1ss take gays, but not blacks/ Asians or whatever?............. Serious question btw? (And before the inevitable question is asked, no, I don't take it up the bum)

There's only one answer.

Because it as deemed as more acceptable than racist 'fun' or 'jokes'.

Wonder what a young kid in the wednesday youth team would feel if he came onto here and read this thread whilst struggling to come to terms with his sexuality. Would he feel supported and confident or alienated?

You raise some very good points

I don't think i can answer your questions but in my experience/opinion i don't think homosexuality has reached the same depth of gravity as an issue as race - there is also the mistaken belief that gay people "choose" to be that way - and/or they're freaks so somehow less human.

You could say the same with misogyny to a lesser degree.

But your questions are uncomfortable and i don't have the answers

Where the fuck has this "hairdressers are poofs" poo come from. I can think shiteloads of straight men around Sheffield who cut hair, and I don't think I've ever had my cut by a bummer.

Vidal Sassoon? Sounds like a right bender doesn't he? Used to go and kick the sh!t out of fascists. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18016108

These lazy stereotypes (Poofs like cutting hair, not playing football) are part of the problem. It's a cloaked message: if you're a poof, don't come and play our game.

Nobody cares if your team signs a gay player (unless he's crap), but how many would refrain from abusing another team's gay striker? Nowhere near as many.

Personally, I think that it will be recently retired players who first come out, safe from the all-seater chants and probably with a book coming out at the same time (pardon the pun). I cannot imagine a top player opening himself up to the abuse from opposition fans, it must be hard enough going out on a pitch without inviting that kind of constant abuse.

I don't think the reaction to a footballer would be that drastic to be honest. Maybe I just look for the best in people, but I could see the chavs giving them some stick but as per usual not really understanding what they are saying or why they are saying it. The majority however I can see being supportive or at least respecting the courage of the player.

Hypothetical situation... A SWFC player comes out. When he next plays for us, does he get booed, heckled or cheered? I for one would applaud that player for his courage and determination because a footballer coming out is different to a call centre worker coming out.

For me the biggest problem would be the media hyping this up to 11 when in fact it's just not that damned important.

Where the fuck has this "hairdressers are poofs" poo come from. I can think shiteloads of straight men around Sheffield who cut hair, and I don't think I've ever had my cut by a bummer.

Vidal Sassoon? Sounds like a right bender doesn't he? Used to go and kick the sh!t out of fascists. http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-18016108

These lazy stereotypes (Poofs like cutting hair, not playing football) are part of the problem. It's a cloaked message: if you're a poof, don't come and play our game.

Nobody cares if your team signs a gay player (unless he's crap), but how many would refrain from abusing another team's gay striker? Nowhere near as many.

Personally, I think that it will be recently retired players who first come out, safe from the all-seater chants and probably with a book coming out at the same time (pardon the pun). I cannot imagine a top player opening himself up to the abuse from opposition fans, it must be hard enough going out on a pitch without inviting that kind of constant abuse.

this

I don't think the reaction to a footballer would be that drastic to be honest. Maybe I just look for the best in people, but I could see the chavs giving them some stick but as per usual not really understanding what they are saying or why they are saying it. The majority however I can see being supportive or at least respecting the courage of the player.

Hypothetical situation... A SWFC player comes out. When he next plays for us, does he get booed, heckled or cheered? I for one would applaud that player for his courage and determination because a footballer coming out is different to a call centre worker coming out.

For me the biggest problem would be the media hyping this up to 11 when in fact it's just not that damned important.

You're probably right, except for the fact that to an individual, a load of chavs abusing your every move is probably quite drastic. Especially when you're used to chavs not abusing your every move.

Guest Big Guns

Vidal Sassoon? Sounds like a right bender doesn't he? Used to go and kick the sh!t out of fascists. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18016108

But they do all have chiwawaws with pink coats on don't they...

Wot percent are you in ?

The insinuation being of course that if I'm not a knuckle-dragging lad constantly and overtly taking the wee wee out of bummers that I must be one of them? Perhaps I'm just someone who doesn't like prejudice and ignorance, whatever from it takes.

I'd like to say my own inclinations are none of your business, because they're clearly not. But given the limited and predictable way you sometimes work, the response to that would be more certain than Danny Wilson whinging after a United defeat. So as you're clearly interested (hmmm), I've neither had nor desired a homosexual experience.

It is estimated that somewhere between 2-5% of the population are homosexual. On that basis, each team would have at least one gay player on average.

Thank God it's only one per team ............................. No chance of them reproducing then !

Guest Johnbloodaxe

Vidal Sassoon? Sounds like a right bender doesn't he? Used to go and kick the sh!t out of fascists. http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-18016108

oooerrr.. drama queen...

lol

Guest Teetowl

It is estimated that somewhere between 2-5% of the population are homosexual. On that basis, each team would have at least one gay player on average.

I wonder if anyone on owlstalk is gay? I dont know of anyone......... Bet there super cute tho :-)