Homophobia in football

To answer the question: no I wouldn't chant. I dont care whether our, or any other teams, players are gay. But I agree with MASSIVE, that there are probably very few gays in football: they are just not interested in it. Its the flip side of hairdressing, where they're nearly all gay.

What would bother me is that if a gay player was crap, whenever he gets booed would be seen by the pc brigade as homophobic. Just like when John Barnes was booed playing for England. That wasn't racist: he was crap and didn't produce his Liverpool form.

john barnes had a julian clairy voice is he bi

Guy sat behind me in the theatre tonight (yes the theatre luvees) was claiming he slept with a Maltese international footballer.

Funny that this topic came up the same night.

Are you sure it's not your overactive imagination and he just said he loved Maltesers? You theatre going types are known to be drama queens.

Do they really have padded seats at the new Brighton ground, or dwas that a joke on that thread earlier in the week...lol...still makes me chuckle.

No, it's true.

Everyone in Brighton is a shirt-lifting bum bandit, so they need padded seats to protect their battered ring pieces.

Any more grotesquely offences stereotypes you want to raise while you're at it?

Guest Teetowl

Me personally I couldn't care less. I was listening to talk sport a couple of weeks ago and they had a top agent on talking about the same subject. He claimed there were at least 4 gay footballers that he knew of in the premier league alone. He said the only reason they didnt 'come out' was not because of the fans but more they didn't know what the reaction would be from their team mates.

Anybody remember when we played brighton the other year and our fans were singing "we can see you holding hands"? I have to admit that while I didn't join in it did make me laugh. As many of the sponaneous songs our fans sing does. Hand on heart were you really disgusted by that chant or did you have a liTtle chuckle? Should people be arrested for singing a song like that?

Guest Big Guns

It is estimated that somewhere between 2-5% of the population are homosexual. On that basis, each team would have at least one gay player on average.

Wot percent are you in ?

No, it's true.

Everyone in Brighton is a shirt-lifting bum bandit, so they need padded seats to protect their battered ring pieces.

Any more grotesquely offences stereotypes you want to raise while you're at it?

Let no-one mention dyslexia. (is that how you spell it?)

Guest cypress hill

It is estimated that somewhere between 2-5% of the population are homosexual. On that basis, each team would have at least one gay player on average.

homo's dont like or play football

100% of friday night chat show host's are gay,but nobody makes a big deal about it

I think I should point out that 'coming out' isn't a matter of "Hey, everyone, I'm gay!!!' but just being able to have a a normal life with a partner of the same sex and to live together or go out together without having to hide it from the media. Any gay footballers have to hide any relationships they have for fear of discrimination at most likely the fans but possibly other players.

They shouldn't have to hide their true selves because of biggots.

The players who you see all over the media are generally the ones who court the publicity. When, for example Shearer and Henry were playing in the Premiership, I'd bet nobody knew the name of their partner, what they looked like etc, because they lived (and still do) private lives. Paddy Kenny got untold stick because his wife messed about, and Kenny went with a prostitute. The stick he got dissipated very quickly. Look at the way Rooney has behaved over the years, and even though he's in the press all the time, nobody actually cares. I'd imagine for a gay person coming out is like leaving home, or running your first marathon, there's a terrific amount of trepidation before the event, but once the first step has been taken, it's easier that you ever thought it could be. Apart from the odd moron, people accept gay people for what they are, and if for example one of our players came out, there'd be a fuss for a couple of days, then it'd be forgotten.

Guest Big Guns

homo's dont like or play football

100% of friday night chat show host's are gay,but nobody makes a big deal about it

lol Alan Carr chatty man....

If a player just mentioned he was gay in an interview or on twitter (rather than a MASSIVE 'coming out') he would get serious, hardcore, threatening abuse every time he touched the ball. That would drown out the 'banter'.

It's not exactly surprising gay footballers keep quiet

Guest Big Guns

Happy to read this thread and the mature attitudes towards homophobia

It's the 21st century now mate I saw two gayers hard at it in the common rooms bogs yesterday teatime ,no one battered an eye lid..

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

Shouldn't matter about a persons skin colour, sexuality, religious beliefs, etc, in any walk of life. Sadly though, you will always get people who are prejudice whether that be in football, cricket or any other social group. The truth is that the FA should, like they have done with racism, back a campaign which discourages prejudice towards homosexuality in football. It is only through educating people and breaking the barriers that divide, that prejudice can be diluted. The FA are in a powerful position to do something about it,and I think it says a lot about their own attitudes towards the subject that nothing of significance has been done on this issue to-date.

So in answer to your question, for me it wouldn't matter if a Sheffield Wednesday player was gay, bisexual or whatever their orientation was. As long as they were given 100% on the pitch and take pride in wearing the blue and white stripes then I would give that person the same support as the next man. However, I am not to sure the vast majority of football fans would take the same view, including those who sit amongst the hierarchy.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

It's the 21st century now mate I saw two gayers hard at it in the common rooms bogs yesterday teatime ,no one battered an eye lid..

Too right. All changed nowadays.

My mate told me he was boozing in the New Barrack after the Wycombe game, he was poofaced about 10pm so headed to Mcd's and walked past the Peugot garage and saw 1 old boy getting spit roasted in the car park.