Homophobia in football

...and I hope you homophobes are comfortable with Justin Fashanu's life and death

Yes - very relevant

Some people who are obviously having a bit of fun quite clearly proving they celebrate the death of a young man....

Guest BoomTownOwls

Wouldn't bother me one bit.

I wouldn't care I'd our star striker was a woman as long as she scored the goals.

Yes - very relevant

Some people who are obviously having a bit of fun quite clearly proving they celebrate the death of a young man....

seriously !!!! So if you make a mother in law joke your laughing at every mother in law that has died . Nearly every p155 take or joke has a generic recipient . I don't think there can be many owlstalkers that hounded him to death .

Guest foreverSWFC

Of course people would join in. I've heard some disgusting chants from Wednesdayites in the past.

What a crazy thread...

This is 2012 ffs

People dont' need to come out..

It's only a big deal and an issue (whether someone is gay or not) to those who don't quite understand life and iz a bit fick innit

No. They just need to be able to live their lives openly withour fear of bigotry. Unfortunately they obviously feel they can't and plenty of comments in this thread show that they probably have a case.

As I said before "coming out" isn't a case of saying "hey look here everyone, I'm gay" but just not having to hide a part of your life for fear of morons and bigots abusing you.

Come on guys, get into to the 21st century. What's the matter? Do you feel so insecure in your own sexuality?

for the same reason theres no openly straight footballers?

no one gives a flip?

people dont have to announce their sexuality?

It seems that some people are wilfully avoiding the point that I believe some posters are trying to make. It's not about people feeling the need to come out, it's about the fear if they are found out. Are straight players terrified that someone will discover they like women? Of course not. That's the difference. No doubt society is rather more sophisticated than it was when Justin Fashanu sadly ended his life, but there can be little doubt that a footballer coming out would be subjected to a great deal of abuse, in the short term at least. Is it fair that a percentage of the population feel that way about something so fundamental to their personality?

It seems that some people are wilfully avoiding the point that I believe some posters are trying to make. It's not about people feeling the need to come out, it's about the fear if they are found out. Are straight players terrified that someone will discover they like women? Of course not. That's the difference. No doubt society is rather more sophisticated than it was when Justin Fashanu sadly ended his life, but there can be little doubt that a footballer coming out would be subjected to a great deal of abuse, in the short term at least. Is it fair that a percentage of the population feel that way about something so fundamental to their personality?

Put into far better words what I was trying to say earlier.

Yes, exactly that.

to be fair justin ended his life because of his families reaction

not the football world's reaction

And if he couldn't count on the support of his own family, how confident do you suppose he was about tens of thousands of strangers in an environment where abuse and violence were, and to a lesser extent still are, commonplace?

No. They just need to be able to live their lives openly withour fear of bigotry. Unfortunately they obviously feel they can't and plenty of comments in this thread show that they probably have a case.

As I said before "coming out" isn't a case of saying "hey look here everyone, I'm gay" but just not having to hide a part of your life for fear of morons and bigots abusing you.

Come on guys, get into to the 21st century. What's the matter? Do you feel so insecure in your own sexuality?

You're coming across as a pious moralising freak tbh - you are taking issue and generalising about posters who are OBVIOUSLY just having a bit of a laugh - as is often the way on Owlstalk - take issue with them/me doing that by all means but don't start throwing the cheap labels around

If you want to see some serious debate on stuff like this maybe you need to find the thread on Justin/John Fashanu after the documentary made by John's daughter.

You might find Owlstalk isn't full of homophobes and is a helluva lot more tolerant and accepting than you might wanna portray

Edited by scram

We;;,

just a thought as well

any gay footballer would be too scared to come out because all the gay rights brigade would bombard him to be come a figurehead when the poor lad would just want to play the game, go home , get a bit of wee wee tail and go out (not come out)

Sweet Jesus.