Summer signings

I was at Colchester on Saturday and obviously at Hillsborough last Saturday. As I was unable to make it to any pre season games these were my first opportunities to see the new signings. I'm not sure if anyone will agree, but here's what I think of them from the first two league games.

Morrison- Very good worker. Puts a lot of effort into his performances and is a passionate player. The sort of player that we have been missing for some time now. Will get us many goals this season in my oppininon.

Coke- Also very good. Much favoured instead of Potter any day. Appears to encourage a lot of our attacks.

Teale- Not a fan so far. Misplaced a lot of passes at the weekend. I don't think he's that good a crosser either. I think we could find someone a lot better.

Weaver- I don't want to slate him, but he looked nervous against Daggers. He could not be faulted for the Colchester goal as it was a great strike, but I can't tell how well he'll perform this season as he hasn't really been tested appart from that.

Sedgewick- Similar to Teale. Misplaced a lot of passes and hadn't really got going.

Otsemobor- Haven't seen him. By the way people have spoke of him, that may say it all!

Mellor- Didn't appear to do much against Daggers, but he was fantastic when he came on Saturday. Not only did he score, but I felt he created a lot more chances. We looked a different side upfront when he came on.

Jones- Haven't seen enough of him. Was fantastic when he came on Saturday. Really bossed the left side and created plenty of chances. He could be a real asett this season if he's played enough.

Heffernan- Haven't seen anything of him yet, but he has to be better than Tudgay right?!

I know Teale and Sedgewick haven't really impressed me so far, but I really hope they prove me wrong. They may have even impressed you, so if they have then please share your thoughts.

Over all I think Irvine's made some real good signings and I think if he gets the best out of them we should win the league. There's NO ONE in this league with a better team than us.

UTO FTP

Guest pembo55

Thought I was the only one thinking that way about teale loads on here think he's been good but for me not really done anything decent. But agree with you on rest except Jones had a bad game v bury but he has promise though.

Guest GlennWhelan

Not seen Otsemobor - You obviosly didn't go to the Bury game and should be glad cause we were absolutely dyer

....If you had gone

your post would say...

Otsemobor - wee wee Poor, couldn't even complete a 2 yard pass. No wonder why Buxton is starting right back with that performance from Otsemobor. Maybe he belongs on a running track cos pace was the only positive from him.

Not seen Otsemobor - You obviosly didn't go to the Bury game and should be glad cause we were absolutely dyer

....If you had gone

your post would say...

Otsemobor - wee wee Poor, couldn't even complete a 2 yard pass. No wonder why Buxton is starting right back with that performance from Otsemobor. Maybe he belongs on a running track cos pace was the only positive from him.

That's why we probably still need a right back....

If I were Irvine, that's what I'd get.

Guest pembo55

That's why we probably still need a right back....

If I were Irvine, that's what I'd get.

Iv stated on here before releaseing simek is a mistake for me. Better than we have now and could perform in this league I believe.

Guest owls_4_life

Morrison - like him, he's obviously a quality player and if he gets fit and stays fit he will be the best striker in the league.

Semi - hmm unsure so far. Was awful against Bury defensively, wouldn't mind seeing him on the right wing but so far as full back not that clever

Teale - Superb first half against the Daggers, think he's the best crosser we've got (except maybe Daniel Jones?) and has some trickery. Prefer him to Johnson in the winger role.

Jones - very fast and great corners/left foot. However really poor against Bury and got subbed at half time. Hope to see more and hope he improves as I think he's got potential.

Coke - really impressed and would start him in CM every time.

Sedgwick - not sure about him yet, hasn't been as good as I thought he would be, think he goes missing/quiet in games.

Weaver - Will be good enough for us in this league but has to sort the tendency to punch instead of catch out.

Heffernan - not seen much of him, but we need to be better in terms of service to the strikers if he is to be effective IMO

Mellor - didn't go to Colchester but he seemed slow against Bury. More Colchester performances please!

I was at Colchester on Saturday and obviously at Hillsborough last Saturday. As I was unable to make it to any pre season games these were my first opportunities to see the new signings. I'm not sure if anyone will agree, but here's what I think of them from the first two league games.

Morrison- Very good worker. Puts a lot of effort into his performances and is a passionate player. The sort of player that we have been missing for some time now. Will get us many goals this season in my oppininon.

Coke- Also very good. Much favoured instead of Potter any day. Appears to encourage a lot of our attacks.

Teale- Not a fan so far. Misplaced a lot of passes at the weekend. I don't think he's that good a crosser either. I think we could find someone a lot better.

Weaver- I don't want to slate him, but he looked nervous against Daggers. He could not be faulted for the Colchester goal as it was a great strike, but I can't tell how well he'll perform this season as he hasn't really been tested appart from that.

Sedgewick- Similar to Teale. Misplaced a lot of passes and hadn't really got going.

Otsemobor- Haven't seen him. By the way people have spoke of him, that may say it all!

Mellor- Didn't appear to do much against Daggers, but he was fantastic when he came on Saturday. Not only did he score, but I felt he created a lot more chances. We looked a different side upfront when he came on.

Jones- Haven't seen enough of him. Was fantastic when he came on Saturday. Really bossed the left side and created plenty of chances. He could be a real asett this season if he's played enough.

Heffernan- Haven't seen anything of him yet, but he has to be better than Tudgay right?!

I know Teale and Sedgewick haven't really impressed me so far, but I really hope they prove me wrong. They may have even impressed you, so if they have then please share your thoughts.

Over all I think Irvine's made some real good signings and I think if he gets the best out of them we should win the league. There's NO ONE in this league with a better team than us.

UTO FTP

Weve scored 3 league goals and Teale ("i dont think hes that good a crosser") provided the cross for 2 of them.

Weaver was more than tested against Bury and i dare say he was the reason we didnt get a good beating that night.

Maybe your post is 8 games too early.Lets judge the summer signings a bit further down the line shall we.

Guest Sniper1

Weve scored 3 league goals and Teale ("i dont think hes that good a crosser") provided the cross for 2 of them.

Weaver was more than tested against Bury and i dare say he was the reason we didnt get a good beating that night.

Maybe your post is 8 games too early.Lets judge the summer signings a bit further down the line shall we.

This.

Although it is too early to judge, on performances so far I'd say:

Teale - got a decent cross on him and far far better at corners than Potter.

Sedgwick - works hard and had also got a good delivery on him.

Morrison - looks very good and not yet fully fit. Once fully fit he'll score goals for fun in this league.

Mellor - I said when he signed that I thought he'd score plenty in this league, not seen anything so far to make me doubt that and was very impressed with the way he took his goal on Saturday.

Coke - a very promising start and I'd really like to see both him and a fully fit Miller in the middle of the park together.

Weaver - a very steady keeper and will do a job for us in this league behind what I think looks like a solid back four.

Heffernan - not seen him play any competative football yet so can't really comment although I thought he looked lively when he came on at Oakwell.

Otsemober - not seen him play yet so can't comment.

Jones - from the limited time I've seen of him on the pitch looks ok but not really seen enough to comment on him so far.

I would point a finger at Mellor regarding Saturday’s game, but in a good way

The goal he scored not only got us back into the match, it also showed what we have been lacking in the past.

A strong forward not getting phased when defenders try to crowd him out of a game, he showed real composure in front of goal.

From what I’ve seen of coke, he looks a cracking signing, I would think the lad is capable of 15 this season.

Unfortunately being somewhat incapacitated at the moment I can only comment on snippets I’ve seen on TV, and the radio commentary on pig radio

Went to most pre-season and all 3 games this season so:

Morrison-Not fully fit but i love his attitude and the way he encourages other players and will get us goals no doubt!

Mellor- Didn't looke fit pre-season, and wasn't very good against bury BUT looked a different player when he came on at Colchester and scored a very good goal, hope he carries it on.

Heffernan- iv liked the look of him, especially against Scunny pre season but yet to get chance in the league, but he didin't do much against bury.

Jones- Best player pre season and did well on saturday. Got some good pace too.

Teale- Steady winger, tad on the old side, but as long as he puts a shift in with some good crosses ect he will be ok.

Sedgwick- Got no pace but works hard and looked much better as part of the 3 in midfield on saturday.

Otsemabor- Didn't do too bad pre season but was shocking against Bury. RB is our main problem.

Coke- The biggest suprise as i had never heard of him, but hes scored a couple of goals and looks very good.

Weaver- Cant really judge as hes not had much to do but should be fine.

Guest Darkus Owlus

Iv stated on here before releaseing simek is a mistake for me. Better than we have now and could perform in this league I believe.

I completely agree, quality doesn't vanish.

At one point Everton wasnted to sign him for over £1million.

After the injury he was never the same player we all say, but he wasn't the same because a) he was coming into a losing side, b) he wasn't fully fit and c) he wasn't match sharp.

Last season weren't ideal circumstances to get him fit and ready again, this season was more ideal, less quality in the league and a pre season under his belt to optimise his physical condition and get him back on track to where he was.

A big loss in my opinion and it's going to show this season, we need a right back fairly urgently.

Edited by Darkus Owlus

Guest domSWFC

Morrison - Very pleased with him, seems to have a decent touch and good awareness. He's good at coming deep to pick up the ball and play it wide to bring the likes of Teale, Sedgwick and Jones into the game. Looks a goal threat, most defenders in this league will have a hard time against him.

Coke - Arguably the best of the bunch, Gets across the pitch well. Can pick a pass, love it how if he hasn't got the movement up front he has the confidence to bring it forward and try and get past his man. Also got a decent finish. He's an attacking midfielder but tracks back well.

Teale - Showed he has talent, can cross the ball well and can beat a man. I don't think we give him enough of the ball. Would like to see him switch flanks during the game because the full back always knows he will try and cut onto his right when playing on the left. Think we still have much more to see from him.

Mellor - Didn't get into the game against bury, but looked sharp against Colchester. Has a decent touch and finish but lacks pace. What he lacks in pace he makes up for in strength though. Haven't seen enough of him to comment any further though because I missed the Pre-season games.

Not really seem much of the rest so can't really comment. Otsemebor and Jones didn't look up for it against Bury but everyone has an off game, so lets hope it was just that.

UTO. WTID

I'll keep it short and sweet.

Morrison - Still can't believe we've signed him, looks a class above every striker we've had since Hirst.

Mellor - Been hit and miss so far (Woeful against Daggers and Bury, good in other matches), but I'm expecting big things.

Heff - Hard to comment, he's barely played. Think he'll get goals though with good service.

Sedgwick - Steady but won't set the world alight.

Teale - Been really impressed by him, still got a little bit of pace left and can cross a ball.

Coke - The athletic box to box CM we've been crying out for for years.

Semi - Looked good in pre season but utterly dreadful against Bury.

Jones - Really excited by him. Pace, athelticism and a wicked cross. If he plays to his potential consistently we won't be able to hold onto him for the whole of his 3 year contract.

Morrison - most astute signing we've made since the days of big ron. Keep him fit and playing for two thirds of the season and theres 20 goals.

Mellor - adds something different, i get the impression he will be worth just as many assists as goals - a proper old school nuiscence striker..

Heffernan - very surprised he hasnt played yet, i would like to see him given a start in one of the next cup games.

Sedgwick - reasonably steady so far but unspectacular.

Teale - very hit and miss - can cross, but seems to be a bit in and out..

Coke - another frustrating player - brilliant at times, woeful the next. gives the ball away too much but could genuinely be a quality centre midfielder.

Semi - not impressed with what iv seen, which wasnt a lot in truth.

Jones - would like to see more of him, but hes not done much either.

Weaver - solid, him and purse have been the most consistent performers so far.