Hirst or Deane.

Plus, despite Hirst's energetic peak at 23 or 24 years old imagine if he had matured, injury free, into a different kind of player just like the great strikers generally do.

He had enough in his tank to become either that big hitter Duncan Ferguson style player or a Bergkamp ball player etc, etc...

As you said earlier, left foot, right foo, head, pace, guile and vision.

When I watch this video it makes me realise what an unbelievable talent we had. I honestly don't think we'll ever have a striker like this again.

Ridiculously talented. Brian Deane???!!!...pffftt........

As you said earlier, left foot, right foo, head, pace, guile and vision.

When I watch this video it makes me realise what an unbelievable talent we had. I honestly don't think we'll ever have a striker like this again.

Ridiculously talented. Brian Deane???!!!...pffftt........

No contest. What's instrumental in those clips, apart from Hirsty's cracking goals, is the invaluableness of Carlton Palmer - a much underrated player in the national press.

Deane was a good striker.

Hirst was a great striker. Arguably up there with Shearer before his injuries ruined him.

flipping Steve Bould went straight through the back of him and didn't even get a yellow card, today it would have been a straight red

A United fan once told me that Michael Brown was better than Waddle!!

Went to the England B v Switzerland B at Walsall. Hirst & Deane partnered each other up front, Hirst was immense (scored both goals in a 2-0 win), Deane hardly touched the ball. Brian Deane was marking Mark Bright for the winning goal at Wembley, Man U wanted Hirst, Hirst has full caps, Brian Deane played for Leeds. Argument over!

Id put Colin West before Donkey Deane

Deane looked outstanding in what was a poor side. He looked very average when he went to Seeds because they were a much better side than the trotters

Hirsty was so far ahead of him as the complete player.

I also rated Warhurst a better striker and would not have considered doing what Francis was planning

Possibly. As I hinted at earlier in the thread, I think Rooneys game and qualitys are very close to Hirsts. Some may mock that comparison, but if Hirst had moved on to a dominant force like Man Utd in his prime, he would have netted 25+ per season, no doubt, and been a shoe-in for England.

Watching him in that League Cup Final up front with Williams, his movement and aggressive confidence did remind me of Rooney.

But I still liken him to Shearer, although Shearer lasted the course.

flipping Steve Bould went straight through the back of him and didn't even get a yellow card, today it would have been a straight red

Yeah, and didnt Hirst get up and smash a flying volley in before realising his ankle was shattered?

Thats Roy of the Rovers stuff lol

Watching him in that League Cup Final up front with Williams, his movement and aggressive confidence did remind me of Rooney.

But I still liken him to Shearer, although Shearer lasted the course.

After winning The Premier League with Blackburn Alan Shearer went home and creosoted the fence.

I'd rather not win the Premier League and go on the lash with Hirsty 1995 style (i.e. unfeasibly large double breasted suits and 'wedge' haircuts.)

Guest Romish Owl

Stupid question - comparison should have been Leon Clarke or Deane, and I would still go with Clarke :biggrin:

A United fan once told me that Michael Brown was better than Waddle!!

Went to the England B v Switzerland B at Walsall. Hirst & Deane partnered each other up front, Hirst was immense (scored both goals in a 2-0 win), Deane hardly touched the ball. Brian Deane was marking Mark Bright for the winning goal at Wembley, Man U wanted Hirst, Hirst has full caps, Brian Deane played for Leeds. Argument over!

I was at Walsall too and I think King and Palmer also played for England B. What I remember from that game was that Hirst scored two goals was outstanding and as he was celebrating his second goal I glanced across at Deane who was applauding and looking embarrassed at being allowed to grace the same team and pitch as Hirst.